Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A lot of restomods in that video, and what I saw was all top-shelf stuff. Could you hang with them based on this thread? HELL YES!!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
A lot of restomods in that video, and what I saw was all top-shelf stuff. Could you hang with them based on this thread? HELL YES!!

LOL, Thanks Bob (y)! Really appreciate that vote of confidence sir.

I know when I'm done with it a lot of folks may like it because they never seen it before. You know how it is with new shinny stuff LOL. Hopefully it will stand the test of time.

And I agree with you. There was a lot of top shelf stuff at that show, which is why I was asking other peoples opinions on me attending :D.

Established Member
I try not to come on here too much, because it just makes any work I do look inferior. You have done an excellent job, and should be proud of your work up against anyone. Great job.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I try not to come on here too much, because it just makes any work I do look inferior. You have done an excellent job, and should be proud of your work up against anyone. Great job.

Hello 598. First of all thank you for your very kind words. Second it is always great to see new people in my thread. Thank you for coming to check out my build and for taking the time to comment. Greatly appreciated!

Really appreciate your vote of confidence. When I make mistakes like messing up my side stripes I don't feel very proud, but when I look at the overall project and read members comments here I do feel proud. Thank you again for commenting. Although I do enjoy my build, I do enjoy discussing the build with you SVTP members just as much.

Grabber70Mach

Established Member
Well I categorize this latest entry with one step backwards and four steps forward. I anticipate the sum of all your work coming together and how great the final product will look.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Well I categorize this latest entry with one step backwards and four steps forward. I anticipate the sum of all your work coming together and how great the final product will look.

Thank you Grabber! Yeah, when I went backwards I was questioning myself and asking myself if I could do this. Painting everything or a separate panel is easy for me. Spot painting intimidates me when it comes to blending or finding a stopping point. However, now that it's done I'm feeling more confident in my abilities.

Also, now that it's done, I think it looks better than when I got it back from the body shop and I do feel like I went 4 steps forward. Like you say... You want it done right........ LOL.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay everyone,

The QTR has been drying for 48 hours now. So, I was itching to get in the garage and see if I could get that transition line out of the clear.

So, I went into the garage after work and got busy LOL.

Here is a close up of the transition line. You can see how rough looking it is. However, it is not a build up of clear like it would be if I were using a piece of tape. It looks jagged because the foam tape has this porous shape to it, however, it is very thin layer of clear. This should sand out easily.
20211207_160634.jpg

Here you can see, to the left of the picture, how the transition line is coming out and blending in with the clear on the top of the QTR. To the right of the picture is the transition line before being sanded.
20211207_161628.jpg

And here you can see the transition line is completely gone. There is orange peel in the QTR, but I'll focus on getting that out later. My main concern was blending that transition line. I used 1000 grit wet and went over it using VERY light pressure. Came out GREAT! I don't think anyone, well, besides you guys LOL, will ever know I had to repaint that QTR panel once I'm done with it.
20211207_161601.jpg

Last edited:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I agree with the others. Let me know when your ready and I’ll trailer my 72 c10 to you and let you spray it.

Thank you for the sentiment and vote of confidence C2!!! I haven't even started a plan for my shop, if I even build one LOL. However, if I ever venture in to this world of painting vehicles for other folks, I'll definitely give you a heads up.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Some of you have asked me what keeps me going on this project or what motivates me? It's stuff like this. Knowing one day my car will be in a car show like this.

Also, hearing all those muscle car engines as they leave the venue. Man, that really pumps me up LOL. There is nothing like the sound of a muscle car. I can listen to that every second, minuet and hour of the day LOL.

Could you imagine if this was an electronic vehicle show? Uh BORING LMAO!!!

NOTE: I could do without the girl screaming every 5 seconds at the beginning and the guy in the reflective vest taking his job a little too seriously LMAO!!! But, other than that this is pretty cool.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I swear I'm going to send that video to the next person who says how much they love EVs. LOL. Seriously though, take away the sound and you take away a huge chunk of automotive personality that stirs the senses and the soul.

Hell, turn off the sound on your computer while watching this video. Feel anything? Now turn off the video and just listen to the audio. Feel the difference? (y)

By the way, this is one of the most comprehensive car show gathering video I have ever seen. Something for everyone. No narratives! Just beauty to the eyes and beauty to the ears!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I swear I'm going to send that video to the next person who says how much they love EVs. LOL. Seriously though, take away the sound and you take away a huge chunk of automotive personality that stirs the senses and the soul.

Hell, turn off the sound on your computer while watching this video. Feel anything? Now turn off the video and just listen to the audio. Feel the difference? (y)

By the way, this is one of the most comprehensive car show gathering video I have ever seen. Something for everyone. No narratives! Just beauty to the eyes and beauty to the ears!

Man, you hit the nail on the head Bob! A muscle car is not a muscle car without that sound. It definitely stirs my soul and senses.....

Yeah, I was surprised at just how much variety they had at the show. Literally something for everyone.

Well...... except for the EV crowd ROFLMAO!!!
That 70S Show Lol GIF

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay everyone,

Getting close to polishing day LOL. I got the the whole car done with wet sanding 1000 grit and stage 1 dry sanding.

I got the roof and deck lid done with stage 2 of the dry sanding process and finished them off with 8000 grit wet sanding. Just need to get the passenger and driver's side done now and then it will be time to polish the car. Should get that done next weekend if the weather holds out.

Here are my side stripes sanded. You can also see my repair area is nice and even and free of solvent pop. SWEET! LOL.
20211211_143800.jpg

Got the driver's side done with 1000 grit wet and stage 1 of dry sanding.
20211211_144132.jpg

That stage 1 dry really does level out that clear. You can see the reflection of my air hose. And I still have 2 more sanding stages to go LOL.
20211211_144225.jpg

Same with the passenger side. Wet sand with 1000 grit and stage 1 dry sanding completed.
20211211_143935.jpg

Here you can see how flat the clear is now after stage 1 dry.
20211211_144046.jpg

Again, look at the reflection of my step stool. This is after stage 1 dry sanding.
20211211_144550.jpg

I even managed to get my taillight panel sanded as well. Here it is before sanding. Hard to see the orange peel, but it's there.
20211211_144505.jpg

And here it is after. This black is going to look great after I buff it.
20211211_155447.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
After I got the 1000 grit wet sanding and stage 1 dry completed. It was time to get to stage 2 dry and end with 8000 grit wet.

This is the roof after stage 2 dry sanding. I could probably polish it at this point, but I want to give it a more refined look, which will make it easier to polish.
20211212_141014.jpg

Different angle of the roof after stage 2 dry.
20211212_141023.jpg

Last angle of the roof after stage 2 dry.
20211212_141040.jpg

This is after 8000 grit wet sanding. It almost looks exactly like the picture above, but the 8000 gives it the more refined look I was going for. Compare the reflections. You can see in this reflection things area little more distinct.

Look at the garage door opener. Then look between the garage door opener and the the garage door track towards the back of the roof. There is a black line in the roof you can see in this picture, but you can't really see in the picture above. That's my door sensor cable that tells the garage door opener if something is in the way.
20211212_144551.jpg

Different angle of the roof after 8000 grit wet.
20211212_144602.jpg

Here is the deck lid after 8000 grit wet.
20211212_154353.jpg

Here is the reflection in the C Pillar after 8000 grit wet. This thing should polish up like glass now.
20211212_144638.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Here is the A Pillar on the passenger side. I couldn't resist. I had to test it to see how it would polish out.

Holy crap this thing is going to look amazing when it's all done.
20211212_154146.jpg

Look at the A Pillar compared to the door. The door is only at 1000 grit wet and stage 1 dry sanding completed.
20211212_154237.jpg

You can clearly see my cell phone and phalanges LMAO!!!
20211212_154253.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
That 8000 grit must feel like a piece of cloth.

Hello Bob. Because of the way it's made, with hook and loop backing and a thin layer of foam, it is thicker than a piece of cloth. I would say the abrasive itself is probably one step below rubbing compound.

Not very aggressive at all. It's more of a polishing piece I would guess.

One thing's for sure, this clear is definitely going to show any flaws in my base coat LOL.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So now every time I check back into your thread I'm anticipating the "announcement" that it COMPLETE! Won't be long. That A-pillar is stunning. Can't wait to see the whole exterior done and sparkling.

Users who are viewing this thread