Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I haven't done the normal braided stuff, but I did the PTFE on mine and a buddies car. Trying to the olive in place can be..... a bear.....

I have done both steel braided and PTFE, Sreel Braid is way easier and a lot loess painfull! Soft jaws for your vice should be a "must have". I would rather do steel braided but bought PTFE for my car too due to the smell concerns.

Sounds like PTFE is a pain in the _ _ _..... Time to go on YouTube and see some installation videos....

Thanks for the heads up fellas. Not looking forward to this job now LMAO!!!!

01yellercobra

Established Member
Sounds like PTFE is a pain in the _ _ _..... Time to go on YouTube and see some installation videos....

Honestly after the first couple fittings I got a rhythm down. The lines for my buddies car were the old style that had a ferrel to clamp on the hose. The lines for my car have the newer set up with the olive and it wasn't as bad.

Also, blue painters tape is your friend.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Huge progress! Noticed the no right shock too, oh well just another part to order. If you plan or think about e85 in the future you will want to go bigger on your fuel lines by 40% I think I have a 10 feed line, Ys off to 2 8s and a 6 return. You will want bigger injectors too. But that’s IF you want e85. Benefits are cooler running, high octane, clean and even burn, lows are 40% more fuel needed (8.5-1 A/F on forced induction), corrosion, inconsistent pump fuel alcohol content that can affect the tune

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Honestly after the first couple fittings I got a rhythm down. The lines for my buddies car were the old style that had a ferrel to clamp on the hose. The lines for my car have the newer set up with the olive and it wasn't as bad.

Huge progress! Noticed the no right shock too, oh well just another part to order. If you plan or think about e85 in the future you will want to go bigger on your fuel lines by 40% I think I have a 10 feed line, Ys off to 2 8s and a 6 return. You will want bigger injectors too. But that’s IF you want e85. Benefits are cooler running, high octane, clean and even burn, lows are 40% more fuel needed (8.5-1 A/F on forced induction), corrosion, inconsistent pump fuel alcohol content that can affect the tune.

Thank you both for your very insightful points of view.

• Bob, thank you for the phone call last night. You made valid points that will help me in my decision.

• geoffmt, thank you for that information. Bob mentioned some of that during our phone chat. However, I did not think about the fuel line size.

I have NEVER thought about running e85 on my 65. Therefore, I never planned for it or researched the requirements. After I heard about the PTFE hose I had a knee jerk reaction and thought it was a GREAT idea. There are a lot of pros for running PTFE hose on a fuel system and I liked what I read (little to no deterioration, no smell/fumes), so I decided to go with it.

HOWEVER, after talking to Bob and reading your post geoffmt and watching YouTube videos last night, I have decided "NOT" to run e85. I already purchased my fuel tank and planned to run -6AN line (so, my set up is too small to efficiently run e85 at higher power levels). I purchased CPE fuel line AND the AN fittings to go with it (I cannot use e85 with those parts). PTFE hose uses a different style hose fitting and they are WAY more expensive than AN fittings. In an e85 set up you have to run a fuel filter with a steel mesh. You cannot run a paper or cellulous style filter.

Therefore, since I have already started down the road to building my current fuel system I'm going to stick with it. @Grabber70Mach I greatly appreciate you mentioning the PTFE hose. That recommendation allowed me to thoroughly review my current set up and consider the idea of e85. After looking at everything I was able to come to this decision. Now I don't have to think later "I should have upgraded everything for e85." I know exactly what is needed for both systems (pump gas or e85) and can make an informed decision. So, thank you for letting me go down this road and learning what it takes to make it right.

Sorry for the long post, but wanted to write everything, so people know why I made this decision and also so others looking to run e85 have a better understanding of what it entails.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I don't think you'll ever feel the "need" for E85 with what your engine will be making on pump gas.

Thanks Bob! Yeah after our discussion I felt you were right once we started comparing pump gas on my set up vs e85 on my same size fuel system.

I didn't realize that on a same size system pump gas beats e85, but if you install larger fuel system then e85 beats pump gas given everything else being the same. I did know that e85 gets worse gas mileage. But, I didn't realize it's because you need 40% more e85 than pump gas.

Again, this is why I love feedback in this thread. I don't know everything, but I'm a fast learner if people are willing to share some knowledge with me.

20201117_171218_resized.jpg

Last edited:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I know spinning ain't wining, but I hope when my 65 is done and I'm running street tires I can do this with the car LOL.

By the way, sure is funny that a closed road has all those trucks on it in the end LOL.

MG0h3

Established Member

If you get the length right, you can have the fittings installed at El Paso Hose and Fitting on Montana.

I did my own and it’s not too bad but the fittings are def the harder part.

“BLM is doing God’s work”
2KblackGT

svtperformance.com mobile app

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
If you get the length right, you can have the fittings installed at El Paso Hose and Fitting on Montana.

Yes sir. I drive by it everyday I go to work. I actually used them the last time I did this build. I needed them to modify one of my power steering hoses as it would not fit past my header at stock length. Needed it shortened.

That's cool they will assemble the hoses for you.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I know my car will never be to this level, but these are the kinds of builds that I look at and "try" to aspire my build to mimic. To a lesser degree of course.

So, if you wonder where I get my ideas from, it's builds like this. I really love the clean, shinny and sanitary look.

Last edited:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay everyone, made some progress this weekend.

Ran into a couple small snags. Nothing major and I will point them out.

First I wanted to finish up my gas tank install and get my fuel lines ran

SNAG #1: I bought nylon covered steel braided hoses. I could NOT get that hose to go on my AN fittings. The nylon made the hose to thick for the AN fittings. I tried cutting the nylon back and then installing my hose that way. I got it to fit, but the nylon below the fitting was frayed and I did NOT like how it looked. So, I'm going to take @MG0h3 advice and take my hoses to the local tubes n hoses shop and have them install my AN fittings.

Here I got my fuel filter and bulkhead fittings installed.
20201121_114126_resized.jpg

20201121_114209_resized.jpg

Here you can see how the bulkhead fittings fit under the car. These are feed, return and vent lines.
20201121_114221_resized.jpg

As mentioned above I couldn't get my hoses on my fittings. However, I had to install my fittings in order to measure for my hoses. You can also get a basic idea of how my hoses will be routed.
20201121_134159_resized.jpg

Just showing how the underside looks with the new, powder coated tank. NOTE: The tank is sitting in place, but not permanently mounted yet.
20201122_125452_resized.jpg

20201122_125525_resized.jpg

Here you can see that BOTH shocks are now mounted. :D…..
20201122_125545_resized.jpg

Last edited:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Then on Sunday I wanted to mock up my front suspension. I needed to do this to see if there were any problems here since this is the major change I made to the entire set up.

20201121_162344_resized.jpg

20201122_104008_resized.jpg

Wilwood makes it easy by placing arrows on their products. Even the calipers have arrows on them.
20201122_113056_resized.jpg

Here I was making sure my wheels cleared the caliper. In my last set up I needed to place a 1/4 inch spacer to clear, but here the wheel clears the brake set up.
20201122_113518_resized.jpg

I then turned the wheel frame to frame (way further than it will turn with the rack) to ensure it cleared the frame rail support system.
20201121_164916_resized.jpg

Here you can see the rear of the wheel lines up dead center of the factory pocket in the frame rail. I'm really stocked about this. This indicates I got the Mustang II front crossmember and shock mounts mounted "exactly" where they are supposed to be.
20201121_164928_resized.jpg

SNAG #2: While trying to install the upper "A" arm I had to man handle it and push it between the engine panel and shock mount. It is WAY to tight. If I try installing it this way, once everything is painted, I will scratch it all to hell. So, I need to cut the engine panel a little more to widen the gap between the engine panel and shock mount. I'll need to make the cut so it is functional and aesthetically pleasing at the same time. Time to bust out my sharpie and measuring tape and come up with a decent design.
20201122_170340_resized.jpg

SM94Cobra

Established Member
Looking good. Been enjoying your updates and progress you are making. Love the DYI on all of it. Keep up the updates and great work!

Just FYI, I used the PTFE lines on my build and glad that I did. Got rid of a lot of the fuel smell that I had with previous lines.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Lastly, I just had to see how it looked on the ground. So, right now she is a roller LOL. Obviously it's not going to stay this way for long. I need to get it back in the air to finish routing my fuel lines and brake lines. Although it seems I have come a long way, the journey is FAR from over...…

20201122_132245_resized.jpg

20201122_132318_resized.jpg

20201122_170129_resized.jpg

20201122_170227_resized.jpg

20201122_170212_resized.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Talk about attention to detail and pushing the envelope. VERY nice! I have no doubt you'll overcome all hurdles thrown at you as you progress. The arrows that Wilwood uses is THEIR attention to detail. Sometimes it's the little things that really make you feel warm and fuzzy.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Looking good. Been enjoying your updates and progress you are making. Love the DYI on all of it. Keep up the updates and great work!

Just FYI, I used the PTFE lines on my build and glad that I did. Got rid of a lot of the fuel smell that I had with previous lines.

Thank you SM94Cobra! Really appreciate your feedback and you watching my thread/progress. I appreciate the feedback on the PTFE hose. I did a lot of research on this topic and as of now I'm going to run the non PTFE hose for now. However, since my system will be put together with AN fittings it will be very easy to convert to PTFE down the line if the smell in my garage becomes a problem or I do decide to run e85 down the road. Thank you again! I really enjoy comments like this.

Talk about attention to detail and pushing the envelope. VERY nice! I have no doubt you'll overcome all hurdles thrown at you as you progress. The arrows that Wilwood uses is THEIR attention to detail. Sometimes it's the little things that really make you feel warm and fuzzy.

Thank you Bob! Always like to hear your point of view. Yes, I've been lucky so far and have not come across any major issues, YET, LOL. I've already test fitted my fenders, hood and front end (so, I should be good there). My next major hurdle will be my wiring (because I'm completely re-arranging everything from factory) and getting my hydraulic throw-out bearing set up (I've never done one, so I will need to do some research to make sure I get it right).

Some things seem daunting to me, but even though I have stressed about certain projects on this build, in the end I'm rewarded with things lining up/working :D… Thanks again Bob. Glad to see you in here sir!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member

Dropped off my hose and fittings to them this morning. Guy said it would be $5 per fitting. So, it's going to cost me $40 for 4 hoses...… Worth it! LMAO!!!

SM94Cobra

Established Member
Thank you SM94Cobra! Really appreciate your feedback and you watching my thread/progress. I appreciate the feedback on the PTFE hose. I did a lot of research on this topic and as of now I'm going to run the non PTFE hose for now. However, since my system will be put together with AN fittings it will be very easy to convert to PTFE down the line if the smell in my garage becomes a problem or I do decide to run e85 down the road. Thank you again! I really enjoy comments like this.

Thank you Bob! Always like to hear your point of view. Yes, I've been lucky so far and have not come across any major issues, YET, LOL. I've already test fitted my fenders, hood and front end (so, I should be good there). My next major hurdle will be my wiring (because I'm completely re-arranging everything from factory) and getting my hydraulic throw-out bearing set up (I've never done one, so I will need to do some research to make sure I get it right).

Some things seem daunting to me, but even though I have stressed about certain projects on this build, in the end I'm rewarded with things lining up/working :D… Thanks again Bob. Glad to see you in here sir!

Yeah, I upgraded from regular rubber hose when I was having some pump issues. I had an external pump that I kept vapor locking, so I upgraded to an aeromotive internal pump and bit the bullet and did the PTFE lines at the same time. It wasn't cheap with all of the fittings that I needed, but I figured that would be a good upgrade to do to avoid the issues I had previously.

I also added the Tilton Hydraulic Throw out bearing, and taking some good measurements it wasn't that bad at all. With the work you have done on the car already, you shouldn't have any issues.

Users who are viewing this thread