blew gasket on Intercooler Reservoir cap.. possible causes?

-DUNNY-

Established Member
yesterday on a pretty hard run, 1st,2nd,3rd. the cap on my Intercooler Reservoir blew the gasket out, and sprayed antifreeze everywhere. The car never heated up, i pulled over to check the issue, saw the gasket was blown out on the cap on the one side. started the car back up and drove on. got on it a few more times, and never sprayed antifreeze again, and the temp guage never went past 1/2. my question is after doing some research, could this be a possible start to a head gasket issue? blower pushing boost into the coolant passages over the head gasket? or just a fluke?
n52325026258638374010.gif

bigmoose

Established Member
The intercooler system is totally independent of the cooling system. So a head gasket or overheating will not affect that. Sounds to me your intercooler pump is shot. This will cause the coolant under the blower to boil and cause what you describe. I had the same problem with mine. My stock pump lasted 105k!

Sent from my HTC

-DUNNY-

Established Member
The intercooler system is totally independent of the cooling system. So a head gasket or overheating will not affect that. Sounds to me your intercooler pump is shot. This will cause the coolant under the blower to boil and cause what you describe. I had the same problem with mine. My stock pump lasted 105k!

Sent from my HTC

thanks bigmoose, im a new terminator owner so still on the learning curve. could possible air in the intercooler system cause this also? i may need to "burp" the system. like you would on the cooling system? first step is to make sure the pump is running, and i will go from there. Does the pump run constently after start up?

Last edited:

Blueline

Established Member
As stated above, your IC system is a seperate system from your coolant system. Your IC pump may be working only when it wants to and boiling over. Unless you have an aftermarket gauge in your car to read coolant temps in your IC res. your stock coolant gauge is not monitoring these temps. Your stock temp. gauge anyway is like an on and off switch. But, back to your issue. You can jump the IC pump to see if its working or have the car come up to temp and make sure you see the coolant being churned in the tank. Report back when you check these things out. Is it possible you didnt have the cap on all the way?

I8URZ28

gas mileage is overrated!
Established Member
+1 Intercooler pump--mine is doing the same thing but is intermittent. I do not think your gasket is bad on your tank (same one I have) The IC system is relatively low pressure, when the pump stops, the fluid heats up to the point where it pukes out of the cap. I only have 26K miles on my car so it can happen anytime. you can either replace the pump or take it apart and clean it. I think there is a how to for that floating around here somewhere

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Once anyone gets the I/C tank spray, I think they would be well advised to not even bother testing with jumping or burping at all.

We know it's going to be the I/C pump.
Just pull it and either clean it, or replace it.

If you barf fluid out your I/C tank, it is nearly 100% of the time, GOING TO BE A PUMP MALFUNCTION.

Pick one:

a. Clean I/C pump
b. Replace I/C pump

.:beer:

-DUNNY-

Established Member
what do you guys recomend? just clean it? or go buy a new one, replace it and be done with it, and clean the old one to keep as a spare?

and thanks again guys for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread