Blind man clocked at 167 mph behind the wheel of an M5

Canoodler

I hate speedbumps
Established Member
A blind father of two has claimed a new world land speed record by reaching 167.32mph in a specially-made BMW M5.

406059.jpg

Mike Newman, 43, from Sale, Cheshire, was hoping to become the first blind person to break the 200mph barrier.

But he ran out of room on the track at Elvington Airfield, near York, and had to settle for breaking his previous record of 144mph.

He said: "Hopefully I have raised awareness ahead of World Sight Day and shown that you can achieve anything you want."

Event organisers said the record was set after the average speed was taken from two runs.

Mr Newman hoped to break the 200mph barrier but was thwarted as he ran out of room on the track. He said: "It has been a wonderful day."

The record has to be officially confirmed by the Guinness Book of World Records.

John Galloway, who helped organise the record attempt, said: "This is a marvellous achievement.

"Mike drove totally unassisted. It is a fantastic achievement and has been one of the most emotional days of my life."

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1569624.html

Canoodler

I hate speedbumps
Established Member
I think the dog's his co-pilot. Barks once to turn left, twice to turn right. :lol1:

Banned
it says it was a "specially-made BMW M5" because he was blind..

can you say remote-controlled M5?

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
i know a guy who is legally blind, his wife drives his porsche - he has the modding bug and he does little things and modifications has one of the best looking 911's ever... He loves it.
anyways, put this guy on the salt flats!
and I think more like it had buzzers telling him when he needs to brake based on calculations... not remote controlled

Canoodler

I hate speedbumps
Established Member
03DOHC said:
He drove unassisted? Was he driving by braille?
I believe the car beeps telling him how to drive. It was on a closed course.

Thrust said:
What if he barks 3 times? :uh oh:
That means he wants to go for a walk. :D

Users who are viewing this thread