Blisten or Tokico Shocks & Struts?

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
Which of the two brands should I go for. Pro' and Con's. Also should I get standard sub frames or full length sub frames. I was just getting some prices from Maximum Motorsports, and the tokico's are alot less expensive then blistens. Thanks.

97whitecobra

Established Member
I like my adjustable tokico's with Eibach springs. But I can not offer you any comparison against the Billstiens. Hopefully someone here can.

Alex_96Cobra

Cant Sleep-Clown'l eat me
Established Member
Originally posted by 97whitecobra
I like my adjustable tokico's with Eibach springs. But I can not offer you any comparison against the Billstiens. Hopefully someone here can.

Same here I have never had the Billstiens, (I have the Illuminas, too) thoughI know of a guy who has the them and cant wait to swap them out. YMMV

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
Originally posted by Alex_96Cobra
Same here I have never had the Billstiens, (I have the Illuminas, too) thoughI know of a guy who has the them and cant wait to swap them out. YMMV

The Blistens???

SNK BITN

Established Member
I've got tokico illuminas on the cobra and bilsteins on the 5.0. They are both very good quality so I dont think you can go wrong with either. I rarely adjust my tokicos, I should have just got the non adjustables.

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
I had the tokico's w/ my H&R RACE springs, then changed to bilsteins after I blew the passenger front strut. I was much happier with the bilsteins, but I did go with MM's revalved units because a month later I upgraded to their front coilover kit w/ hypercoil 425# coilover springs. I dropped 2 sec. off my lap times w/ the stiffer front end and finally beat the damn WRX STI (heavily modded) in SCCA SM class last season.

davidreed

Established Member
I've got bilsteins on the rear (sport-valved) and tokico 5-ways on the front.. it just worked out that way. The bilsteins are superb. If they had adjustable struts I would get them for the front.

Lee

Established Member
I cut and pasted the below statement from my "Bilstein struts" thread:

I installed the shocks yesterday, along with Brembo rotors and Hawk HPS pads. The Bilstein shocks are everything I hoped for! They provide a supple yet very controlled ride and work very well with the Eibach Pro springs. The springs and shocks absorb anything the road throws at them. Road bumps that used to about throw me out of my seat are now very controlled without the excessive overextension of the spring that the stock shocks allowed. Great shocks!

PETSNKE

Established Member
I've installed Bilsteins on my Cobra, they were only $15 more for the set than the Tokicos. They've handled anything I've thrown at it and is a big improvement over stock. Sorry I can't really compare them to anything else since I did a spring,strut/shock,caster/camber plate, and rear control arm install all at the same time.

I also installed a set on my daily driven Ranger last spring, gotta love a lifetime warranty:)

98cobrancali

the mustang man
Established Member
you could also try the MM race vavled bilstiens, the guy that works at XMP told me that bilstiens are a better shock for handling and an occasional drag, and the tokico's would be better if all I was doing was drag racing, me personally am going to go with bilsteins, probably the MM bilstiens

Lee

Established Member
I thought I was going to buy the 5-way Tokicos but I was told that with the Bilteins I would not have to adjust them, and that the Bilsteins would automatically "respond to the road". Sounded like snake oil to me, but it's true. I spent 175 miles today on Virginia winding back roads, through smooth and rough, and the Bilsteins were perfect.

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
Originally posted by 98cobrancali
you could also try the MM race vavled bilstiens, the guy that works at XMP told me that bilstiens are a better shock for handling and an occasional drag, and the tokico's would be better if all I was doing was drag racing, me personally am going to go with bilsteins, probably the MM bilstiens

What spring rate do you have? Really the revalved units from MM are only needed if you have a really high spring rate....coilovers greater than 375# coil springs over 900#...I only upgraded to the MM units because with the 425# coilover spring the regular bilsteins would be undervalved. Then again if the green is burning a hole in your pocket go for the revalved units.:thumbsup:

98cobrancali

the mustang man
Established Member
i am going to go to coilovers all around and want a shock that will handle, and I figured I would go the MM bilstiens becuase it sounds to be a great handling shock, but I havent made the decision yet, cause I got to save for all that, but I was thinking of going with springs around 350# so who knows

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
375# coilovers in the front is about the max you want for a street driven car. I drive mine occasionally on the street w/ the 425#, the freeway may get annoying with all the gaps in So Cal freeways ie 405, 5 , 15. The regular bilsteins should work fine w/ 350# coilovers. Their coilover kit is worth the extra cash, compared to other companies products. Good machined pieces, bearings and seals. two thumbs up MM.

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
Get the full length units from MM too. I have the regular length subframes and am happy. I wish I had purchased the full length, but I don't want to tear out the ones that are in it now. Instead I'm going to get the interior subframes from griggs racing (only ones who sell them) it should increase the structural rigity (is that a word) by 300%.

Users who are viewing this thread