Block Differences

08 vap

Established Member
Does anyone know if a lightning short block will work in a GT500? I read somewhere that the GT500 blocks are actually different than other 5.4 blocks.

oldlugs

Established Member
..Just a bump for that question; I've been wondering as well.

KG/Eleanor

Established Member
Does anyone know if a lightning short block will work in a GT500? I read somewhere that the GT500 blocks are actually different than other 5.4 blocks.

I'm running a Ford GT block in my 08 built by AESracing.net with pro series I beam rods and diamond pistons. 4000 miles so far so good. VMP tuned TVS.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
And the Ford GT block is different in that it has a provision for a wet-sump system.

You need a GT500 block or a Ford GT block. You can get the Ford GT blocks set up to accept the normal GT500 oil pan.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Iron block itself:
Ford changed the 5.4 block in 2002 on all models with increased materal to help NVH characteristics. They also changed the block in the 2010 Shelby adding provisions for Knock sensors.

The 2011 Alluminum block has different oil drain backs, different ribbing, freeze plug location, plasma lined cylinder walls, wet sump oiling and webbing in the main area redesigned to help reduce windage compared to the alluminum block in the Ford GT Supercar(Although the Ford GT block can be ordered machined for wet-sump use).

The stock short block of the Lighting closest model is the 07-09 Shelby models. Both use iron block, forged 8 bolt crank and forged pistons. However the Pistons in the Shelby are made by Mahle while the lightning was (KUS) Karl Schmidt Unisia same as the 03-04 cobras. Both Rods are Powder metal however the Lightning is a much weaker design. Most lightings start bending and breaking rods at 450rwhp and or above 5,700rpm. The pistons in the lightning have an 18cc dish which is the same as the Shelbys. The bearings are slightly different.

If you are talking aftermarket shortblocks then we get into more variables. Such as if the Compression was raised(decrease the dish) then the valve reliefs are different between the 4v and 2v

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Iron block itself:
Ford changed the 5.4 block in 2002 on all models with increased materal to help NVH characteristics. They also changed the block in the 2010 Shelby adding provisions for Knock sensors.

The 2011 Alluminum block has different oil drain backs, different ribbing, freeze plug location, plasma lined cylinder walls, wet sump oiling and webbing in the main area redesigned to help reduce windage compared to the alluminum block in the Ford GT Supercar(Although the Ford GT block can be ordered machined for wet-sump use).

The stock short block of the Lighting closest model is the 07-09 Shelby models. Both use iron block, forged 8 bolt crank and forged pistons. However the Pistons in the Shelby are made by Mahle while the lightning was (KUS) Karl Schmidt Unisia same as the 03-04 cobras. Both Rods are Powder metal however the Lightning is a much weaker design. Most lightings start bending and breaking rods at 450rwhp and or above 5,700rpm. The pistons in the lightning have an 18cc dish which is the same as the Shelbys. The bearings are slightly different.

If you are talking aftermarket shortblocks then we get into more variables. Such as if the Compression was raised(decrease the dish) then the valve reliefs are different between the 4v and 2v

great info

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Compression height is .120 in the 5.4s. Just for future reference for others when building a new shortblock if you change the deck height when ordering your pistons.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread