Blower port opinions

spdfrkFL

Track Addict
Established Member
Ok guy's I need some advise......

I have a 03' cobra that is strictly a track car. It has all of the cooling mods from the evans kit to the Tiger Racing hood and everything in between. Since I live in S. Florida, summer is our down time and time to work on the car. My blower is knocking on the case so I figure it is time for a rebuild and possible blower port. I'm not looking for more HP, but possibly lower ITA temps. I called Steigmeier and they stated that a stage one port will only make a very small difference in the lowering of the temps and recommended their stage 6 port which will give me 50 HP. This scares me. My car has been so reliable and trust me, I beat the shit out of it.

Does anyone run a ported blower on the track? Remember, I'm a full on junkie doing 15+ track days a year for the last 8 years. So I would love to hear from someone similar to the abuse that I give it.

The blower has a 2.93 upper pulley on it and a stock, but Metco lower.

Thanks in advance!

Craig

wheelhopper

Established Member
I was running my Terminator with a 2.8 upper and a 2# lower, with a Steig. stage 4 port. I don't know what the stage 6 is, but if it is the one where they change the gearing ratio in the blower, I would stay away from that one. I never had any issues with overheating in my car. I probably drive harder now then I did when I was tracking the Terminator, but I was running the Cobra in HPDE 3 and running with the pack, so I was not babying the car. I had no cooling mods save for the ported blower, aftermarket heat exchanger, and a track tune. I feel the track tune made the biggest difference. It pulled timing and added fuel to help keep the car cool. I personally would go for it. You may not be looking to add power, and with that being the case, you could install a larger pulley and keep the same hp while turning the blower slower, and making less heat.

snakerider

SVT-DROP
Established Member
I was running my Terminator with a 2.8 upper and a 2# lower, with a Steig. stage 4 port. I don't know what the stage 6 is, but if it is the one where they change the gearing ratio in the blower, I would stay away from that one. I never had any issues with overheating in my car. I probably drive harder now then I did when I was tracking the Terminator, but I was running the Cobra in HPDE 3 and running with the pack, so I was not babying the car. I had no cooling mods save for the ported blower, aftermarket heat exchanger, and a track tune. I feel the track tune made the biggest difference. It pulled timing and added fuel to help keep the car cool. I personally would go for it. You may not be looking to add power, and with that being the case, you could install a larger pulley and keep the same hp while turning the blower slower, and making less heat.

+1

I agree with wheelhopper, port and go with larger upper pulley and temps will be a little lower.

+1 I agree with both of these guys. They know what they are talking about.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
I run a stage 4 ported blower with a 3.1 upper only and accufab plenum/TB. It is awesome.

I had the car out at the track last week in 100 degree weather and the highest IAT2s I saw were in the 140s. The car makes 10 lbs of boost and makes 475-480 RWHP.

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
I run a stage 4 ported blower with a 3.1 upper only and accufab plenum/TB. It is awesome.

I had the car out at the track last week in 100 degree weather and the highest IAT2s I saw were in the 140s. The car makes 10 lbs of boost and makes 475-480 RWHP.

Which is plenty of power to get you in trouble.

sonic cobra

Established Member
I have mine out for stage 6 port now while the engine is being rebuilt. Steggy said stage 4, 5 and 6 all reduce temps by about 23*
I was tracking my terminator just 5 or 6 days/year and struggling with high temps all day long with 3.0 upper and track tune pulling timing and adding fuel. and I'm no where near fast as wheelhopper.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
I'm still undecided..... But it appears that the port with a 3.1 is the way to go.

Thanks for the input guys!

You can always throw on a smaller upper too. Start with 3.1 and if you have the cooling headroom for more power drop pulley sizes and retune if needed. The throttle response is great on track with the accufab throttle body. It makes rev matching much easier.

With the 3.1 you can run stock injectors, fuel pump and driver, and will be at about the limit of the MAF. If you go to the lower pulley, you will immidiately need a different/recalibrated MAF and corresponding tune.

racebronco2

Established Member
I have mine out for stage 6 port now while the engine is being rebuilt. Steggy said stage 4, 5 and 6 all reduce temps by about 23*
I was tracking my terminator just 5 or 6 days/year and struggling with high temps all day long with 3.0 upper and track tune pulling timing and adding fuel. and I'm no where near fast as wheelhopper.

The stage 4,5 and 6 reduce iat2 temps. They do not reduce engine temps. In fact they will increase engine temps because you will be making more power.
If i remember correctly 3.1 was a good choice for the hottest days to keep temps in check. Running a 2.93 will increase temps by about 20* and a 2.80 will increase another 20*, this is with a stock hood.

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
would there be any benefit in running a bigger supercharger like whipple or lysholm with a large pulley to have low boost?

black-plasma

Established Member
I run a stage 4 port with 2.8 upper and 2# lower with no problems. I do richen my tune and drop the timing a bit for track events and have had no issues with it going in limp mode.

racebronco2

Established Member
I run a stage 4 port with 2.8 upper and 2# lower with no problems. I do richen my tune and drop the timing a bit for track events and have had no issues with it going in limp mode.

What temps are you seeing on track? Limp mode is around 260* so even if your at 250* you still are running too hot.

black-plasma

Established Member
I have the aeroforce guages now, but I didn't have them then, so I am not sure. I was very surprised I never went to limp mode, but I also didn't go to events in July and August here in St. Louis when it is 90+ and high humidty. Now the track is shutdown so I have no where to go. It's 5+ hours to the closest road course.

wheelhopper

Established Member
5 hours! That is about how far my home track is. I have 3 tracks closer, but I spend most of my time at VIR. Summit is a little under 2 hours and is closer, but I do more events at VIR.

I never hit limp mode when I ran my 2.8 upper and 2# lower either, using a stage 4 port and custom track tune.

black-plasma

Established Member
Only reason I miss living in MD is the all the tracks, whether they were drag strips or road courses I was spoiled. Dover shut down Gateway here in St. Louis which was a drag strip and roval, so not even a real road course. We used to do Wednesday afternoon PDX events at Gateway, which were perfect for me, now I would need to plan a whole weekend just to do an event.

Users who are viewing this thread