Blower sound

FireredSVT

03 Cobra
Established Member
I just purchased an 08 GT500 and am looking for some advise on exhaust choice and how to maximize blower whine. First, previously I had an 03 Cobra with a MAC cat back that sounded extraordinary, i loved it. I'm up in the air when it comes to the GT500 though. Any suggestions on a mean sounding exhaust? I hate those raspy sounding mufflers, I'm looking for a deep, throaty sound. Of course nothing sounds as good as a fox body with 2 chamber flowmasters, but that is similar to what i'm looking for. Also, on my 03, there was a silencer that quieted the blower, easily removed, ending up with semi-loud blower whine. Is the same true with the GT500?

TorchMach

Established Member
On a side note, I'm hoping someone has some good info on what the OP asked. I would like to know as well..I'm keeping my exhaust quite just to hear that sucker wine.

kent1

Established Member
For louder stock blower whine-I had blower ported, upper and lower pulley, high flow elbow and larger TB 66, elbow ported to blower, JLT air filter and the whine was extremely loud with the stock exhaust. Of course the stock cats restrict air flow and the blower will talk (whine) to you more. After I had the high flow cats install, the whine sound went down a couple of levels. I assume it is breathing better and whine sound went down accordingly. The exhaust I have is stock manifolds, with lethal high flow cats connected to stock mufflers. The sound is a higher pitch and does have a throaty sound to me. It is not loud or no drone in the car but is louder outside. For me it has a perfect sound. I can hear the whine of the blower in harmony with the exhaust note. It is sweet music.

If you want a louder exhaust-just get a different catback system. Some people seem to prefer the SVT1's by ford.

Leonard 95

Established Member
Get a 2.6 pulley and it will wake up the blower. As for deep muffler sound, go with the slp loudmouths, it's pretty loud but doesn't drown out the blower.

VaporSnake

Forever Slow
Established Member
lethal o/r x pipe with steeda axle back has a nice throaty sound to it... prob not the same as the loud mouths but i couldn't $180 for a set of take off mufflers with 0 miles on them... i have the 2.6 pulley and the blower whine slightly at idle and quite loud at WOT but the exhaust also does a number in drowning it out... i guess if you really want blower whine upgrade to a whipple/kb

heffs03mach1

COME WITH IT YA SALLY'S
Established Member
The stock intake has a box that quiets the whine sound down change that out to a aftermarket one and it will also help.

TexasShelby

Established Member
To get the max from your blower whine, a JLT CAI. It improves the "front end" sound by about double, increases performance a noticable difference and looks great under the under as well. You can't go wrong with it.

engine6-111207b.jpg

I'm running Corsa's axleback, it's pretty tame and has a little of that old school Bullit gargle when at idle. They are pretty quiet compared to some, but with the vert I didn't want something that would drown out the blower whine with the top down. they don't.

09knightrider

It's just a V6 I swear...
Established Member
Just adding an intake will wake up the blower a lot, an upper/lower pulley setup would make it that much louder. As for an exhaust, I'm running a Lethal off-road X-pipe with a GT500KR axle back...borderline insanity, sounds like a race car haha.

09knightrider

It's just a V6 I swear...
Established Member
I like how it sounds, but that's just me. It's VERY loud and a bit raspy. If I were to do it again I'd probably go with the catted x-pipe. It still has tone to it, just a really loud tone. Cruising on the interstate it's pretty quiet, but crack into it and it sounds straight up like an FR500 race car haha.

VaporSnake

Forever Slow
Established Member
I like how it sounds, but that's just me. It's VERY loud and a bit raspy. If I were to do it again I'd probably go with the catted x-pipe. It still has tone to it, just a really loud tone. Cruising on the interstate it's pretty quiet, but crack into it and it sounds straight up like an FR500 race car haha.

here's a sound clip not sure if it helps...

YouTube - bigfrogy's Channel

Users who are viewing this thread