Blower upgrade or longtubes

reeve_ryan

Established Member
Really looking for an edge here, it involves me getting walked by a ctsv. Long story short, should I go with the gen-2 blower (currently running gen-1) or longtubes, 2.4 upper, and possibly a port job? Unfortunately funds will only allow for one or the other at this time. Tks

Fast Ford

Established Member
Really looking for an edge here, it involves me getting walked by a ctsv. Long story short, should I go with the gen-2 blower (currently running gen-1) or longtubes, 2.4 upper, and possibly a port job? Unfortunately funds will only allow for one or the other at this time. Tks

What throttle body do you have?

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
LT,s cobra jet mono blade throttle body, 2.4 upper, and a heat good heat exchanger will defiantly help

reeve_ryan

Established Member
I apologize for not disclosing all mods. I listed power modifications only, forgetting that all aftermarket parts work as a package. That said, I have all cooling, fuel, traction, etc...only thing missing were the headers. I thought this was going to be very one sided thread but, with every new post I find myself right back where I started. TWORN

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I apologize for not disclosing all mods. I listed power modifications only, forgetting that all aftermarket parts work as a package. That said, I have all cooling, fuel, traction, etc...only thing missing were the headers. I thought this was going to be very one sided thread but, with every new post I find myself right back where I started. TWORN

Do you have enough fuel mods to go E85?

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
The gen2 will give you more power than the longtubes imo, as long as you have injectors or a bap already.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Hold up...

If you already have a Gen I TVS and stock pulley and your choices are as follows:

1. Long tubes and 2.4 upper

2. Gen II TVS with no other changes

The answer is #1 all day long. The Gen II with a stock sized pulley is not going to add that much more than the Gen I blower. However, the Gen I blower will breath a hell of a lot better with a smaller pulley and a set of long tubes with a new tune to account for it all.

Now if you were going from the stock blower, then I'd agree with most of the above comments and say that the TVS should be the first upgrade.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Just for comparison's sake.

I have a Trinity TVS with a 2.4 upper, long tubes, BPS plenum and all the needed fuel upgrades; with a 65mm TB I made 720RWHP and trap in the low 130's with 20" wheels. Same set up with an L&M 72mm TB I made 740+ and picked up about 1 MPH on the big end. I gave up on the 72 because of drivability issues and now run a Whipple mono, but haven't been on the dyno or track yet to compare.

The LT's with O/R H increased power EVERYWHERE in the RPM range which is even more important than the number at the peak.

Prior to installing the LT's and O/R H pipe, with everything else being the same, I made in the high 660's and trapped in the mid 120's. I've never run anything but pump fuel in my car; no additives and no e85.

reeve_ryan

Established Member
Nobody has mentioned porting the blower. Are there driving issues with porting that could occur? Are there no gains to be had? Who has the most experience with these?

Option-1
Porting-10rwhp
Longtubes-15-20rwhp
2.4-10
Roughly = 35-40rwhp

Option-2
Gen-2
Roughly = 40rwhp
Of course these are all my guesses, that's why I'm here reading great advice on both sides of the coin. Ultimately cost should be close.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Talk to 1320Junkie (Jay) right here on SVTP, he can get you squared away with a solid port that WILL significantly improve the Gen I.

Like I said, the peak power you gain from LT's with a TVS blower are not the whole story, power under the curve is what you need to look at and porting the Gen I will have a significant impact on that power under the curve as well.
Another thing to consider is that the LT's will actually reduce boost while increasing HP. Simply put, the easier the engine can breath, the more power it can make without increasing stress.

And no, there should be no drivability issues with a properly done port job. He may be able to port your FRPP 65 and get you more out of that as well, saving you the money on a bigger TB.

Last edited:

1st usa car

Established Member
w/ purchase cost and install -- I would not do LT since you already have OR pipe --- I would change my upper pulley and get it ported and maybe a lower pulley.... If you have already upgraded ur cooling.

Users who are viewing this thread