Blowing cats

stanggolfer

Established Member
So my 03 cobra has blown 3 magnaflow cats on my x-pipe, driver side twice, passenger side once. I believe they all had ceramic inside. Would it be best to replace with metallic cats? If so any suggestions on brand, part#, etc would be appreciated. Thanks

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

stangfreak

Established Member
I have seen so many cobras in shops with blown out cats over and over again. Just take them out. Once you start getting in the high boost high hp range, there going to blow

I don't understand how people are blowing cats at he 500hp level? What brand you run? I mean I can understand it at the stupid power level, but hw is this happening at the 500hp level? I had over 75k on my Bassani cats before going to their O/R and never once has there been any indication of the cats approaching failure. There has t be more to this.

Jefe

Established Member
I don't understand how people are blowing cats at he 500hp level? What brand you run? I mean I can understand it at the stupid power level, but hw is this happening at the 500hp level? I had over 75k on my Bassani cats before going to their O/R and never once has there been any indication of the cats approaching failure. There has t be more to this.
I had put about 20 miles on the car and it started raining hard. Streets were starting to flood. Got to a low point in the street and the water must have surround the cats. Of course they were red hot at this point. A few weeks later mine were clogging and blowing out the pipes. Did this for about a month or more. I figured the drastic temp change cracked the ceramic inside.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Something is not right if you keep destroying the cats. My car has had a magnaflow catted xpipe on for 6 years and it's still perfect. Most of that time twin screwed 22psi, 700+ hp. The car just passed emissions testing about 3 weeks ago.

Jefe

Established Member
Only blew out 1 set on mine in the 5 years Ive had it. These were not Bassani cats, they were Catco cats I had put on April 2009. When I took them off there was a piece lodged in the pipe blocking 3/4 of it. Lucky I didnt hurt the motor. The other one was completely gutted

DSCI10422_zps9c94ce40.jpg

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
I had put about 20 miles on the car and it started raining hard. Streets were starting to flood. Got to a low point in the street and the water must have surround the cats. Of course they were red hot at this point. A few weeks later mine were clogging and blowing out the pipes. Did this for about a month or more. I figured the drastic temp change cracked the ceramic inside.

You've got too much fuel being dumped if the cats are so clogged they are red hot. Do you use a 2 step alot?

Jefe

Established Member
I meant it as an expression. I've never seen them red but I wouldn't dare touch them when hot.

stanggolfer

Established Member
Well I called Magnaflow and they said no matter what if my midpipe has less than 4 cats they will keep blowing, makes no sense since aftermarket midpipes usually only have 2. I bought a set of metallic substrate cats and getting those welded on.....

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

topfueldart

Established Member
Which cats are the metallic versions you bought? Has anyone else had better luck with these? My Bassani X had a set of cheap replacements welded in it when I bought it, presumably because the originals had failed, and then those failed as well. The Catless sound doesn't do it for me personally.

agwazz

Established Member
2.5" Magnaflow Universal 59956 Catalytic Converter High Flow Spun Metallic Cat. Bought these on Ebay about $90 each. Made the xpipe sounds much better. The only thing to worry about is lowering your car too much. I'm at stock height with the cats just under 3" from the ground. I bought some hr race springs hopefully I wont scrape too much.

stanggolfer

Established Member
I bought flowmaster 2000125 stainless metallic substrate cats. So far so good. Car is a little louder than say a magnaflow x with the ceramic cats but not as loud as off-road.

03redfirevert.

coyote eater
Established Member
Toorich of a tune-up will overheat the catalyst,causing it to fracture and eventually break apart.

Have been running 3" magnaflow cats for 3 months now at over 700hp on corn

I have seen so many cobras in shops with blown out cats over and over again. Just take them out. Once you start getting in the high boost high hp range, there going to blow

Users who are viewing this thread