Blown Cobra motors...

pharmin2006

Established Member
There is a thread on modularford.com that is very informative listing over 40 cobra motors that have blown...whats the highest mileage seen out of a modded cobra?

Chameleon

Established Member
Do a search and you will find that there are some high mileage Terminators out there. Keep in mind that these cars are not that old so you are not going to hear "I've got 125,000 miles on my motor with zero issues" stories yet.

So what, 40 motors have blown. How many of the 40 were significantly modded? How many were doing high speed runs?

There were 19,140 Terminators built. Of that 73.6% have received significant mods (pulley, or blower swap, etc). That means that there are over 14,000 of them driving around with performance enhancing equipment. 40 blown motors as a percentage of the 14,087 that have been significantly modded is only about 3 tenths of 1%. That to me is a testament to the reliability of these motors.

[...disclaimer...]
The statistics quoted above have not be verified by any independent source. Actually numbers may very.
[..end disclaimer..]

Ok, I admit made that number up for dramatic effect, but the point is people are modding and driving the heck out of these cars. There are definately some issues with these motors that should be addressed if you are modding but Jeez, where else can you get 400 RWHP fairly easy, 500 RWHP with some moderate spending, and 600+ RWHP with a little more serious (but not unobtainable) cash outlay?

That's just my 02....

pharmin2006

Established Member
Here is a link to the thread:http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12489&page=1&pp=30
I posted b/c I thought it was a good resource and I have a modded cobra...NOT to get in pissing matches with anyone. The guy has a running list of each instance telling the mods, hp/tq, mileage and even the determined cause of the failure after engine tear down. I think it could be an invaluable resource possibly showing a common denominator in "our" motor failures, which from reading all the post seems to be excessive heat and/or improper tuning. :beer:

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
Chameleon said:
Do a search and you will find that there are some high mileage Terminators out there. Keep in mind that these cars are not that old so you are not going to hear "I've got 125,000 miles on my motor with zero issues" stories yet.

So what, 40 motors have blown. How many of the 40 were significantly modded? How many were doing high speed runs?

There were 19,140 Terminators built. Of that 73.6% have received significant mods (pulley, or blower swap, etc). That means that there are over 14,000 of them driving around with performance enhancing equipment. 40 blown motors as a percentage of the 14,087 that have been significantly modded is only about 3 tenths of 1%. That to me is a testament to the reliability of these motors.

[...disclaimer...]
The statistics quoted above have not be verified by any independent source. Actually numbers may very.
[..end disclaimer..]

Ok, I admit made that number up for dramatic effect, but the point is people are modding and driving the heck out of these cars. There are definately some issues with these motors that should be addressed if you are modding but Jeez, where else can you get 400 RWHP fairly easy, 500 RWHP with some moderate spending, and 600+ RWHP with a little more serious (but not unobtainable) cash outlay?

That's just my 02....

I agree 100%. 03/04 Cobras are probably the most abused and thrashed cars ever made. People just beat the shit out of these cars. I am surprised there are not any more blown motors. A lot of the guys on the forum are running high boost, nitrous, etc. They are constantly at the track and constantly street racing.

The worst thing for a pulley'd/modded motor would be a sustained high speed blast at WOT under a heavy load and maximum boost. That is a sure way to fry the coating right off the pistons.

bkoe

Established Member
pharmin2006 said:
... possibly showing a common denominator in "our" motor failures, which from reading all the post seems to be excessive heat and/or improper tuning. :beer:

its not a "common denominator" for 03/04 cobras

it is a "common denominator" for ALL modded makes/models.

and I would not say that most 03/04 cobras are "beaten"

however, I would say that most people posting on this board (and modular) do beat their cars. ( and they are having a sh-t load of fun doing it!!! )

my point, is that I do not see any common issues with the cobra, but I do see common issues with modified cars pushed to their limits. (no different then any other vehicle)

my personal opinion, i think the stock 03/04 are exceptional vehicles. and very durable.

pharmin2006

Established Member
OK since people look for an arguement in everything...I said common denominator in our cars..b/c it's the only car "I" own. I don't want to talk or know about problems with a modded Vette, lancer,or civic...I don't own those cars. Back to my original topic... I have an 03' DSG with 22,700 miles modded since 8,000 miles.(No problems)

03-LS1

I tell ya what, my 03 sees wide open blasts at full boost more than once a day. I flog the the hell out of the car and I am treated with brute force. This car is really durable in my opinion. I treat the car very well and with 55,000 miles on her, the fun gets better everyday. Will somthing break in the future?????? you betcha. I have been pushing 15psi for the last 20-25K miles and i have had no problems. I love the car and when somthing does break I wont be too disappointed cause I have pushed it pretty damn hard.

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
MY COFFIN said:
I tell ya what, my 03 sees wide open blasts at full boost more than once a day. I flog the the hell out of the car and I am treated with brute force. This car is really durable in my opinion. I treat the car very well and with 55,000 miles on her, the fun gets better everyday. Will somthing break in the future?????? you betcha. I have been pushing 15psi for the last 20-25K miles and i have had no problems. I love the car and when somthing does break I wont be too disappointed cause I have pushed it pretty damn hard.

I love seeing posts like this. 55K miles and counting. There is no other car ever mass produced that could take this kind of abuse.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would expect that the majority of '03/'04 Cobras are run pretty hard. I mean, how can you NOT run them hard. That would take a lot of will power IMO. And running them hard will definitely affect the life of the motor. How many miles you get will obviously depend on a number of factors. But it should not be surprising that cars that spend a fair amount of time at the track will have a shorter life. Kept totally or near-stock I'd expect 100K+ miles on the motor. JMO.

mlambert

camaro is hard to spell
Established Member
Chameleon said:
There were 19,140 Terminators built. Of that 73.6% have received significant mods (pulley, or blower swap, etc).

Where the HELL did you come up with that shit?

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
i'll bet the numbers on pulley/blower swap cars is less than 20%. just guessing,but it sure would be interesting to know, lol

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
mlambert said:
Where the HELL did you come up with that shit?

maybe you should lengthen your attention span enough to actually read his entire post.... :rollseyes

Mustang_Racer

Established Member
My 04 is a daily driver and i hae had it modded since 2000 miles and i now have 20,000 on it and i drive it 35 miles one way to work each day. so im rolling up the miles. I however dont usually get into boost except on weekends. I drive it normal to work and back.

Users who are viewing this thread