Blown Engine (new crate engine ordered)

2rbo97svt

Established Member
Ok fellas, as some of you know I blew my engine with my new ESS set up. I was on a pull in Mexico and the engine decided to granade. Engine had 16,600 plus miles.

8lb pulley (made 10 lbs on the dyno)
ID1050x injectors
Boost a pump
Corsa Long Tubes
Corsa Catback
E85
680 rwhp 569 trq at 6400 rpms
K member
Welds Drag set up
I’ll post pictures

I was debating while I should get a build along Block Aluminator or just a plain Gen 3 replacement. Decided on the Gen 3 since I don’t plan on making nothing north of 800. Id say I’ll be there with a 10 lb pulley which should make 12lbs. That is based on the dyno log that was done while on a 8 lb pulley which made 10 lbs.

I emailed my tuner, heard from him once, emailed him back( multiple times) crickets. I don’t expect for him to warranty anything but I would imagine a little bit more communication would be nice, specially after blowing an engine after his tune install. Perhaps you guys could shine in. While the dyno guy doing they dyno pulls said the tune was great( at least at that moment) I would have liked a little bit more talk back and forth with the tuner.

I also want to order a fuel system. I am leaning towards the Lethal Performance kit with a triple 485 pump and new fuel rails with the regular on each side. Id like to know your thoughts on this and what you have on your set ups. Here are some pictures, please don’t be shy, I could use all the help possible.

Here are some pictures of the car, engine hole lol and how close I came to hitting the wall.

26700416bc9c43658fdf089d218e8c7e.jpg

f3815fcb1bef0c07d0eeaace6827e412.jpg

8c9aaef014fe9cf478756bac5c148339.jpg

95f4c165551e2afc816948d1972424f1.jpg

2dc3e6c65d4d27f2aa5f6b5094b46838.jpg

f6fc8745e93582834d70b371d19f531a.jpg

ad5b8abc104e637190ae2a168cbeb7ac.jpg

1f10087342d0f519236c7829a6a35a70.jpg

73b0a60d7a43566d8653759715ada637.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
May have been fine on the dyno with no real load. Then you go play on the street, have a true load on the car and a poverty fuel setup.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

2rbo97svt

Established Member
May have been fine on the dyno with no real load. Then you go play on the street, have a true load on the car and a poverty fuel setup.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Poverty fuel set up …you hurt my feelings lol. Damn that’s cold blooded lol. It’s all good though I totally get it. The dyno was under 20% load but it doesn’t matter regardless, you are right.
It was not supposed to make the boost it made and the power it made on just 8 lbs, a little bit of over boost and not enough fuel…well you can see what happened.

Last edited:

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Poverty fuel set up …you hurt my feelings lol. Damn that’s cold blooded lol. It’s all good though I totally get it. The dyno was under 20% load but it doesn’t matter regardless, you are right.
It was not supposed to make the boost it made and the power it made on just 8 lbs, a little bit of over boost and not enough fuel…well you can see what happened.

Not trying to be a dick but some tuners won’t tune E85 without a proper return system for a reason.

Also, I think those pulleys are rated at spinning the blower to like 7k. More RPM equals more boost on a Centri car.

Does two women scissoring sound like an armpit farting contest?

FourSixPony

SLO GT
Established Member
The ESS pulley is rated at 7200 rpm.. I am shocked it made 2lbs more than it is rated for considering you didn't even make it past 6600rpm.

You are going with a completely stock Gen 3 engine again?..

I'm no help with the Fuel System, I just have the DW400 Pump right now.. I have been talking with beefcake about a fore fuel system, debating on if I should pull the trigger now or wait until next year like I planned.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Do the Sai Li fuel system at the least. I think I was talking to you about this.

You'll need to add another feed to the bottom fuel rail (the rail that feeds the port fuel injectors) because the factory rail only has one feed. Do this or upgrade the rails completely.

A stock gen 3 will live pretty much forever at 700whp with proper fueling. Sounds like you may have run out of fuel or the BAP's voltage dropped for some reason causing a lean condition.

When I popped my stock motor I was making 915whp.

2rbo97svt

Established Member
The ESS pulley is rated at 7200 rpm.. I am shocked it made 2lbs more than it is rated for considering you didn't even make it past 6600rpm.

You are going with a completely stock Gen 3 engine again?..

I'm no help with the Fuel System, I just have the DW400 Pump right now.. I have been talking with beefcake about a fore fuel system, debating on if I should pull the trigger now or wait until next year like I planned.

I am surprised it made 10 lbs as much as you are, I perhaps expected a little more than 8 just not 2 plus lbs.
as for the engine, yes I am going with another Gen 3 stock engine. I believe these engines are good for the power with the proper fuel system. ( I can speak from experience of course as you can see lol)

2rbo97svt

Established Member
Do the Sai Li fuel system at the least. I think I was talking to you about this.

You'll need to add another feed to the bottom fuel rail (the rail that feeds the port fuel injectors) because the factory rail only has one feed. Do this or upgrade the rails completely.

A stock gen 3 will live pretty much forever at 700whp with proper fueling. Sounds like you may have run out of fuel or the BAP's voltage dropped for some reason causing a lean condition.

When I popped my stock motor I was making 915whp.

Yes me and you spoke about the Sai Li fuel system.

I’ll be getting new fuel rails with the dual regulators.
As for your engine going out at 915 l, how long did you run it at that power. I’m planning on taking the current engine out and if the heads are good buy a build short block and put it together just in case.
Thanks

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes me and you spoke about the Sai Li fuel system.

I’ll be getting new fuel rails with the dual regulators.
As for your engine going out at 915 l, how long did you run it at that power. I’m planning on taking the current engine out and if the heads are good buy a build short block and put it together just in case.
Thanks

About 3000 miles at 915. However, when it popped I was low on fuel (under 1/4 tank) and turned up the boost (dumbass) to show off for a friend.

That's when it popped. Probably my fault and I think it would still be alive if I was 1/2 tank fuel or more.

2rbo97svt

Established Member
About 3000 miles at 915. However, when it popped I was low on fuel (under 1/4 tank) and turned up the boost (dumbass) to show off for a friend.

That's when it popped. Probably my fault and I think it would still be alive if I was 1/2 tank fuel or more.

Dang, I’m currently trying to figure out who to go to get the car tuned with the new motor. Not sure if the new motor can run on the same tune it’s on the car now. Who you tuned by if you don’t mind me asking ?

2rbo97svt

Established Member
New update from tuner/HPR

So I found HPR on you tube, they always do oil pump gears, and very familiar with ESS amongst other things. The reason I went and even found ESS.

Contact Ken Hilliard, from HPR. I tried getting him to do my oil pump gears on the new engine. His response was he doesn’t do oil pump gears on engine he doesn’t install. Kind of bothered by it considering that he doesn’t install all the engines of all the cars he works on.( I am assuming).

I mentioned to Ken Hilliard that the tuner ( Wenger Performance ) he always uses and recommends was responding to my emails after the engine blew. Now, I do understand that perhaps they are busy but, after many emails and days passed nothing, crickets.

I am not trying to get him to pay for anything, I understand that he is not to be held responsible for anything that happens.

Well, Ken got a hold of the tuner ( Wenger Performance) and the tuner told him that I was only tuned for 93. A complete lie considering I have his files on my RTD3 HP tuner to show he sent me e85 tunes and multiple emails telling him what my set up was.

I tell Ken what my set up was/is in the car. He proceeds to tell me that he would have never tuned my car without a fuel system. He said that set up on 93 was ok but for e85 I needed a fuel system.

I am still wonder if the tuner sent me files for 93 with the wrong file names which perhaps cause a failure running on e85 while under the impression the car is tuned for it and it is not.

Is there any way I could tell if the file was for 93 or e85 ?

I am pissed about the service I was provided, and the fact that the tuner told Ken from HPR that the tunes I had were for 93 when I clearly have prove the name of the files were for e85.

Could you guys help me out ? I already bought a new engine but perhaps there is hope of proving their fault on this issue?

2rbo97svt

Established Member
Where did you source the new engine as I may need one too and price please?

I bought mine from Lethal Performance for about 6900k+ plus tax etc. but, I checked LMR and they have it for 5849.99 and Late Model Priced matched it.

2rbo97svt

Established Member
That is a rough spot. None of the big tuners that I know of will tune on E85 with boost without a fuel system.

Yeah, you would think he would have told me. Also, it bothers me that he told Ken Hilliard that he tuned me for 93 when he clearly send me files for e85.

49c8db231a8bdb89e0a18c9f0326a265.png

2rbo97svt

Established Member
Well engine and fuel system are here. I hope to have a few of y’all follow along. Let us forget the issues and focus on the future

2rbo97svt

Established Member
Does anyone in here know who is a good engine builder ? Someone reputable and trust worthy. Also, I know most times good and cheap don’t go hand in hand but affordable as well. Some that’s not looking to rip you off?

LS WUT

Established Member
Does anyone in here know who is a good engine builder ? Someone reputable and trust worthy. Also, I know most times good and cheap don’t go hand in hand but affordable as well. Some that’s not looking to rip you off?

I see you’re in Miami? I have competitive edge racing up here in Sarasota. They did my motor work on my Redfire.

2rbo97svt

Established Member
I see you’re in Miami? I have competitive edge racing up here in Sarasota. They did my motor work on my Redfire.

Sorry brother I live in Kentucky now. I’ll look into it though, I am willing to tow the car anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread