Blown Head Gasket......???

cjuni

Established Member
What would be the best way to check if you have a blown head gasket???

OH...... I checked to see if the oil was mixin w/antifreeze...nothing.

03DOHC

Established Member
Pull all your plugs and do a compression test. Blown head gaskets aren't as common on 4.6s as they are on 5.0s.

Why do you think you have a blown head gasket?

Power Trip

Established Member
Compression tests can be very misleading sometimes. CHeck the oil of course, look for smoke coming out the exhaust(no brainer). Also, run the car and pop the radiator cap off and watch the coolant. Look for bubbling.

GodStang

Established Member
on my cobra wew ran all the blown head gasket tests and it tested positive on all of them. We where almost positive that it was a blown head gasket till we got it apart to see 8 melted pistons, 2 damaged cyclinder walls, and a busted head. The Head gasket was still in perfect shape.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
GodStang said:
on my cobra wew ran all the blown head gasket tests and it tested positive on all of them. We where almost positive that it was a blown head gasket till we got it apart to see 8 melted pistons, 2 damaged cyclinder walls, and a busted head. The Head gasket was still in perfect shape.
I had head damage on my blown motor as well but head gasket was in tact.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
FWIW, if they blow externally it can go unnoticed for a long time with no symptoms.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Leak the motor. Listen to where the air is going. If it's going to an adjacent cylinder or radiator, then I would suspect the head gasket. If it's going to the crankcase, I would be very worried. But and competent performance shop can leak it for you if you don't have the tools and compressor. It's the best test I know of for checking the seal of your motor. If it tests good...then you're probably fine.

By the way, I would leak it cold and hot both.

Users who are viewing this thread