Blue Oval News Forum - a lot of angry posts over the use of Shelby's name

Status
Not open for further replies.

SGL

Banned
blueovalkid said:
I am just happy the Mustang even exists! (Camaro)... and that Ford didnt do to it what GM did to the GTO, and even worse what Dodge did to the Charger! :xpl:

Don't worry, Dodge has a whole bunch of other tricks up it's sleeve. Stay tuned.

trance_in_miami

Established Member
S H E L B Y is not an appropiate name for the new cobra. I mean come on it, has 5 names ( Ford, Mustang, svt, shelby, gt500 ) :nonono: wtf this is ridiculous !!

keep it simple. ....I have no respect for shelby. and i think his contributuin to the mustang is to old to embrace. Wise up people. :rollseyes

crazyhorse06

Established Member
trance_in_miami said:
S H E L B Y is not an appropiate name for the new cobra. I mean come on it, has 5 names ( Ford, Mustang, svt, shelby, gt500 ) :nonono: wtf this is ridiculous !!

keep it simple. ....I have no respect for shelby. and i think his contributuin to the mustang is to old to embrace. Wise up people. :rollseyes
OK, your opinion is valid. So, go buy something else then.

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
trance_in_miami said:

Actually, according to the article in this months Motor Trend, the car isn't referred to as a "Cobra". It's just a Shelby GT500. They were going to make a Cobra in addition to this car but scrapped the idea as it didn't make business sense. :shrug:

Last edited:

crazyhorse06

Established Member
03Terminator said:
Actually, according to the article in this months Motor Trend, the car isn't referred to as a "Cobra". It's just a Shelby GT500. They were going to make a Cobra in addition to this car but scrapped the idea as it didn't make business sense. :shrug:
It is called the Ford Shelby Cobra GT500. Check SVTs website, Ford's media site and the press kit. They all say Ford Shelby Cobra GT500.

Last edited:

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
crazyhorse06 said:
It is called the Ford Shelby Cobra GT500. Check SVTs website, Ford's media site and the press kit. They all say Ford Shelby Cobra GT500.

I saw that too, then I read the article in Motor Trend for this month. It stated that a pricier verison of the GT500, an SVT Cobra, was considered with the IRS and more power. They canned it because it didn't make business sense. If the "official" name of the car is Shelby Cobra GT500 :shrug: then I agree it's a little crazy. Personally I'd like to see them make both versions.

1999-COBRA-6661

[S]pecial[V]ehicle[T]eam
Established Member
03Terminator said:
an SVT Cobra, was considered with the IRS and more power. They canned it because it didn't make business sense.

:cryying: :cryying: :cryying: :cryying: :cryying: :cryying: :cryying: :cryying: :cryying: :nonono:

Understang

Slightly Mad
Established Member

killrSVT

Established Member
Unfortunately, SVT is going down the drain.. When was the last lightining and Focus produced? now the SVT Cobra is gone.. I haven't seen any concept SVT cars lately.. whats the deal..

Sorry guys this is not an SVT Cobra.. I know it says Ford Mustang Shelby Cobra GT500, but it is just to appreciate the masses.. I want a straight up SVT Cobra, Dammit... :mj: Don't make me buy a C6. riiiighhhtt. :D

Am I wrong?

Last edited:

TrueBlueCajun

Established Member
Well, I'll hold my opinion until the car is on the showroom floor like the '05 Mustang. By then this "Shelby" model may not even look like the actual production model. Look at the Mustang GT Concept compared to the Production '05 GT. Similar features yet different. I myself would like to see the Mustang GT Concepttail lights on the new GT500 than regular Mustang tail lights. If Ford wants to take this Shelby road, go all the way with it instead of half way. Wow, I said I'd hold my opinions until the prod. model came out. :-D

killrSVT

Established Member
You know what I would like the New Cobra to look like? The GT-R concept. with an interior and minus the wing, of course..

2005mustanggtrconceptshow1280x.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

crazyhorse06

Established Member
killrSVT said:
Unfortunately, SVT is going down the drain.. When was the last lightining and Focus produced? now the SVT Cobra is gone.. I haven't seen any concept SVT cars lately.. whats the deal..

Sorry guys this is not an SVT Cobra.. I know it says Ford Mustang Shelby Cobra GT500, but it is just to appreciate the masses.. I want a straight up SVT Cobra, Dammit... :mj: Don't make me buy a C6. riiiighhhtt. :D

Am I wrong?
Didn't you see the Adrenalin? And, yes, this is an SVT Cobra. It is the SVT version designed for the same purpose at the previous Cobra. This one is even named Shebly COBRA GT500.

I don't think SVT is done, I think they are just beginning.

Why is it so many people thing Shelby's name detracts from this car? Those extra 6 letters on the deck lid are not going to slow this monster down. THis will be the fastest Mustang ever manufactured for the public. What is so bad about that?

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
crazyhorse06 said:
Didn't you see the Adrenalin? And, yes, this is an SVT Cobra. It is the SVT version designed for the same purpose at the previous Cobra. This one is even named Shebly COBRA GT500.

I don't think SVT is done, I think they are just beginning.

Why is it so many people thing Shelby's name detracts from this car? Those extra 6 letters on the deck lid are not going to slow this monster down. THis will be the fastest Mustang ever manufactured for the public. What is so bad about that?

Oh it's going to be one bad a... mother!!!! There's no doubt about that!!! And people will buy it for that reason and that reason only regardless of who's name is on it. The problem is some people are loyal to the SVT Cobra just as people were to the Shelby Mustangs in the past. Now that it appears the SVT Cobra as we know it is not going to be produce they feel slighted. Especially when you take into consideration that Shelby had nothing to do with the design of this car. Zip, zilch, nada. Yet he gets his name plastered all over it. :shrug: I posted a thread a few days ago "Saac Backs GT500 As A True Shelby" expressing my excitement over the fact that a true "Shelby" Mustang was going to be produced only to find after reading some more articles from reputable magazines that he did squat and it's all a marketing ploy. :xpl: So you can imagine that I share in the feeling that his name shouldn't be on the car. It's not that I have any thing against him, in fact he's an icon to the Mustang. It's just my general opinion that if you didn't have any thing to do with the design of the car then you shouldn't get any credit for it.

What I would like to see happen is them take the current car and give it the IRS rear, lighten it up a little, and produce it as a SVT Cobra. Price it around 40 - 45 grand. They could then produce a second car with Shelby and give it a NA 5.4L motor making around 350+ HP. Instead of an IRS rear use the live axle set up on the GT500. Price this car around 30 - 35 grand. I don't buy the "it doesn't make business sense" excuse because they are talking about making some other special editons like the Mach 1 and Boss 302 Mustangs.

For now I think I'll keep my 03 Cobra. :rockon:

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
I have no repect for shelby, he didnt even really design the original cobra and now he's claiming copyrights on the design: The car was originally british, all he did was drop a big american V8 in a small british car body and it became a legend.

Remember that whole fiasco with the overpriced, underpowered, and poorly built Series 1? Because of production cost over runs, he tried to jack up the price AFTER people put deposits on it and pissed off alot of folkes... and not only the engine in it wasnt a Ford, its not even a big V8.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Sorry, but you're incorrect...

Understang said:
Sorry, but you're incorrect. The official Ford press release says "2005 SHELBY COBRA GT500"

http://media.ford.com/products/pres...le_id=1269&press_subsection_id=421&make_id=92

it isn't a 2005, even though I've seen it prominently labeled as such on another enthusiast website

exactly where in this press release does your quoted name occur?

it says "A production version of the GT500 will go on sale in 2006"

from what I've been told, it will be a 2007 model...

SlowSVT

Established Member
I'm not a big fan of Ford's drive to resurrect the past with their hybrid new/old Mustang and now they are plastering the name of a man that had no real direct involvement engineering the car. It's a marketing ploy, it's cheap and seems to undercut the people (SVT) who really sweated the details to develop the new (chough) S H E L B Y.

His contribution to engineering the car was suggesting they equip it with a Top Loader 4 speed, stiffer leaf springs, front disc breaks, a Holley 4 bbl, a quick ratio steering box, big scoops and an 8 track radio.......standard!

The man is a genius!

Last edited:

crazyhorse06

Established Member
03Terminator said:
The problem is some people are loyal to the SVT Cobra just as people were to the Shelby Mustangs in the past. Now that it appears the SVT Cobra as we know it is not going to be produce they feel slighted. :rockon:
I see that point, but, I watched an interview with HTT from NYAS. He said the name Shelby Cobra GT500 was chosen to satisfy both camps. It has both names. What I don't understand is how the Shelby name makes the car worse. It is going to perform the same no matter what the name. We should applaud Ford for doing something to boost sales. They will draw in buyers that would have bought something else. That is good for Ford to sell high profit niche cars. It will allow them to justify building cars like this. If they don't sell and make money, they don't make them anymore. I, personally, want them to keep making these beasts.

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
crazyhorse06 said:
I see that point, but, I watched an interview with HTT from NYAS. He said the name Shelby Cobra GT500 was chosen to satisfy both camps. It has both names. What I don't understand is how the Shelby name makes the car worse. It is going to perform the same no matter what the name. We should applaud Ford for doing something to boost sales. They will draw in buyers that would have bought something else. That is good for Ford to sell high profit niche cars. It will allow them to justify building cars like this. If they don't sell and make money, they don't make them anymore. I, personally, want them to keep making these beasts.

That's probably partly true but the use of the Shelby name will most certainly boost sales, which like you said isn't really a bad thing. I also agree that I want Ford to continue to make cars like the 03/04 Cobras and the GT500. If they didn't we would all be driving hybrids some day :eek: It's just my personal opinion that if his name is going to be on the car then he should have at least had some thing to do with the design of it. No biggie.

I look at it this way, no matter what car they brought to that show, some of us would bitch about it. It's impossible for Ford to make a car that will please everyone. In my eyes the 03/04 Cobras are more of an all around performance car, the GT500 I see as a car set up for drag racing. All depends on what you want. I truely believe that this (GT500) is going to be one bad mother and if Ford can bring it to market at the same price point as the 03/04's then they are going to sell the shit out of it plain and simple. Doesn't that alone make the car a hit???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread