Blue smoke on cold start...

jason1320

Established Member
I posted in here a couple of times about blue smoke I was getting on start up. Almost everyone said that it was normal, but I went with my gut feeling that $40,000 car should not smoke....ever.

I took the car in to Ford about a week ago and they verified that the car did smoke on a cold start. (They kept it over night to prove this point) They then asked me to drive it for 1000 miles and not touch the oil even to check the level. (Oil consumption test)

I brought it back today and they told me that the motor would need to be rebuilt or replaced. (Depending on what the ford engineers decided, still waiting for the verdict.) The technician explained it to me like this. One of the cylinders (he didn't say what number) had no compression on a dry start. Only when the oil started flowing did the cylinder have enough compression to fire. Thus the blue smoke and oil consumption.

So just a word or warning to all of you who think blue smoke on start up is normal. Have it checked out before your warranty expires.

I'll keep the thread updated on the status. Ford says that it should only take a couple of days depending on how long it takes to get the motor in. :cryying:

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Dang Jason...sorry to hear of the hassle of the engine replacement. Hope all is well in Texas......Tha Mid Atlantic Cobra Association misses ya buddy!

jason1320

Established Member
Arlington....

I'm not that worried about it, so long as they fix the problem and I don't get any new ones because of it. My car has just over 15,000 miles on it now. Anyone think I should have ford check and if needed replace the clutch a TOB? I fiugure this is about the milage they start failing and the motor is going to be out anyway.

Glad to hear you guess are starting your own club, wish I could be there to join. As it is, I haven't met any cobra owner here in Arlington yet. I just been too busy. I have seen a sevral nice ones though. :beer:

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
I had the same problem, but I fixed it by not over-filling the crankcase with oil. I was one of them 6.5 to 7 quart fill kind of guys. Always went by the dipstick markings. Last time I changed the oil I put 6, and ONLY 6 quarts of oil in the car. It now no longer smokes in the morning when I start it.

:shrug:

U.M.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

Originally posted by IronTerp
Dang Jason...sorry to hear of the hassle of the engine replacement. Hope all is well in Texas......Tha Mid Atlantic Cobra Association misses ya buddy!

Jason, glad you got it looked at and they are willing to fix it.

Dwight, I am shocked you didn't mention your issue. I think this situation with Jason proves my point of what I told you, you need to do. Get it done!

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
It's because I'm not sure I have an "issue" at this point. Haven't seen smoke the last 4 times I've started the Cobra, but am going to keep a close eye on it............

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
uncle meat, i put 7 in my 99 and checked it yesterday. no smoke whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread