Blueish smoke from tail pipes?

Uglycobra

Established Member
Bone stock even cat back and it happens realy bad when i take off from a stop. What do you guys think?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yes, bluish/blue-gray smoke is from burning oil.
Could be a sign of:
* Valve Seals: Leaking valve seals will cause blue/gray smoke at startup because oil leaks past the seals into the cylinder after the engine shuts down.
* Valve Guides: Excessive clearance between the valve stem and the valve guide allows oil to leak past the gap into the cylinder.
* Piston Rings: Worn or damaged piston rings will cause blow-by resulting in blue/gray smoke.
* Worn Cylinder Walls: Worn cylinder walls cause blow-by resulting in blue/gray smoke.

How many miles on the motor? How long have you seen the smoke? Have you ever done a leak down test?

jbs$

Established Member
Bluish engine smoke, this is an old Indian signal that you are about to spend large amounts of wampum.

Mulldune

Established Member
These cars have a rep for blue smoke on start up ( which is usually caused by Fords junky pcv system ) but if your seeing at taking off from a stop , Id get a trusted mechanic to have a look . Do you have smoke at any other time ?

I dealt with the blue smoke issue at startup like 80k ago. Also was told it occurred when I went WOT, from rear viewers.

You know how I eliminated this issue?

Did a JLT prefilter on the passenger & driver side. Did an Andair check valve on the river side.

Also, went to Amsoil 10W-30 Signature Series oil.

Problem solved.

svtshadow

Banned
Last time that i had blue smoke, was when i come to stop light, my car would stop but blue smoke from the tail pipes would just run the redlight. That motor had bad rings and ended getting a remanufactured motor from tousley.

Uglycobra

Established Member
It was just brought up to my attention from my wife when she was driveing behind me, The car was my dads DD for almost 10 years and has 160k. Worst case how much do you guys think it will cost to fix?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Don't jump to any cost conclusions until you actually find out what the issue is.

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
Get a pressure leak down test and determine what is the cause of the problem. It will be one of the options that cobra bob pointed out. Hopefully it's not the rings or cylinder walls.

Uglycobra

Established Member
So we ran a compression test and i have low compression in cylinder #3. letting the cobra sit untill tax time. I was told i might be able to get away with getting new rings and bearings if the block is ok?

Users who are viewing this thread