BMC Blown Motor Club

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I blew up a very well built motor, on another car, after only adding 4 gallons of "93" from a single only hose gas pump into an almost empty gas tank, one hose dispensed all three grades, then going on a top speed run. Probably got a gallon of pond water along with the "93". Use gas pumps with dedicated hoses and nozzles for all three blends.

And anything made from aluminum, like pistons, will fail eventually. Aluminum has a finite service life. So if you got a lot of passes or miles out of your setup, and it lets go, "it's just part of racing", really!!

Just my $0.02

Silver_Serpent

Established Member
And anything made from aluminum, like pistons, will fail eventually. Aluminum has a finite service life. So if you got a lot of passes or miles out of your setup, and it lets go, "it's just part of racing", really!!

Just my $0.02

This is true about the aluminum ... however, an engine can be designed so that the wear is the limiting life factor and not the fatigue life of the aluminum or any other metal. I dont know what the limiting factor is on these engines from the factory, but my bet would be on wear.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
While I didn't blow the engine, I did blow a head gasket. I took the opportunity to build a stout aluminum 5.8.

bFoxGt500

Established Member
What constitutes a "blown motor"? I 'burnt' a couple pistons/rings due to overheating on the road course. Can't pinpoint any specific time/event as I believe it happened over the summer and a few weekends of hard running when engine and SC overheated. At least part of the root cause was eventually identified as a leaking SC that coated intercooler. Rebuilt engine with forged internals and sent SC in for R&R. Six months later engine is strong but may need to investigate SC again.

Users who are viewing this thread