BMR Radiator Support Brace

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
In the never ending search for weight reduction applications that do not decrease the overall driving experience of the 07', I did some research on the tubular aftermarket radiator support braces that are out there. Appears that there are four such offerings: 1) Steeda, 2) BMR, 3) Ford Racing, and 4) Lightning Force Perf. Although there are a few folks that have/are running the Ford Racing unit, I narrowed my choice down to the Steeda and BMR offerings. Both appear to be very well designed and contructed, but decided to go with the BMR unit with sway bar attachment capability. The Steeda unit was nice, but only came in silver and didn't quite impress me as much. Not that it's not a quality piece, and here's a good thread on a little of it's heritage:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...2402-steeda-lightweight-radiator-support.html

Made the decision on the BMR unit based on it's solid appearing construction, color offering (Black Hammertone), and price. Picked it up for $169.99 shipped, through a little Googling and pricing research. Installation was straight forward, with the only issue being that the sway bar mounting brackets didn't exactly line up with the BMR's drilled holes. The BMR sway bar bracket holes had to be slightly elongated about 1/4" which took all of 15 minutes with a jig saw and drill bit. No real big deal, but something that BMR should correct. Called BMR tech after the fact to let them know and he said he has received a couple of calls from the GT500 guys about this and was going to inform manufacturing about it. Apparently the Mustang GT and GT500 sway bar mounting brackets are slightly different in size.

From an appearance standpoint, it really looks good under there. There has been some debate about the attractiveness of having to now zip tie the lower plastic shield to it, (see thread above....), but it really doesn't look unfinished to me at all. The plastic shield actually covers up a good part of the BMR brace so while you do have some more room to work under there, it's not a huge deal.

From a performance standpoint, the BMR brace weighed in at exactly 9.3 lbs, while the factory brace weighs 17.0 lbs. Thus saving 7.7 lbs off the front end. This might not seem like a signifcant amount, but with it's location being in front of the front tires, you get a nice assist in front to rear weight transfer mechanics. When coupled with removal of the factory front sway bar (16.3 lbs) for drag strip duty, even a bigger benefit can be achieved with a total of 24.0 lbs off the front end. There is no increase at all in NVH and the brace appears to provide the same front chassis structural integrity as the stock unit.

Below are some pictures. Basically wrote this up because I couldn't find much factual information, especially the weight, on the BMR piece. Hope it helps if any of you are considering this.

Last edited:

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Steeda fits perfect. Tack a few tabs on fir a few ounces more and you can screw the shields back on. I dig the black color. Mine came in silver and I powdercoated it blue. Naming my car kaleidoscope

shelbysvt

Established Member
Why didn't you get the steeda piece? The new piece made just for the gt500 has the extra tabs welded in so zip ties are not needed. It also weighs less still at 7 pounds.

IronTerp

Why didn't you get the steeda piece? The new piece made just for the gt500 has the extra tabs welded in so zip ties are not needed. It also weighs less still at 7 pounds.
Well, there was a minor outpouring/request for Steeda to make an upgraded brace with welded tabs for the lower plastic shield. And they came through.....for the 2011-2012 GT500's only. Not for the earlier models. The 07-10's can use the upgraded brace if they also go with Steeda's front sway bar. Nah....

And not sure what the Steeda weighs.....that's the problem. I weigh everything on a certified Befour commercial scale for accuracy. BMR didn't even know the weight savings of this mod with their brace,. One of the reasons I did this thread was to get the exact weights of this mod out there.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
BMR didn't even know the weight savings of this mod with their brace.

That's shameful from a pure marketing perspective if the motivation is weight reduction. Looking at this part listing on their site I see they make mention that it "saves 8+ pounds over OE radiator support" yet they don't list the weight of the OE part.

They should be cutting you a check!:rockon:

Blu-Steel

Established Member
I installed the Steeda piece on my 2011 GT500 and it fit perfectly and went in with no issues. I weighed the stock unit at 17 pounds and the Steeda unit came in at 7 pounds. Undersand the issue of 07-10 Shelbys and from what I can tell both brands are quality pieces. Having a 2011 the Steeda unit was the right choice for me especially given their response to customer feedback and the fact I didn't want to use zip ties to secure the shield.

shelbysvt

Established Member
Well, there was a minor outpouring/request for Steeda to make an upgraded brace with welded tabs for the lower plastic shield. And they came through.....for the 2011-2012 GT500's only. Not for the earlier models. The 07-10's can use the upgraded brace if they also go with Steeda's front sway bar. Nah....

And not sure what the Steeda weighs.....that's the problem. I weigh everything on a certified Befour commercial scale for accuracy. BMR didn't even know the weight savings of this mod with their brace,. One of the reasons I did this thread was to get the exact weights of this mod out there.

I see.

So do you feel any difference in the feel of the car? I was planning to start off with that lightweight battery and bracket a member on here is selling which cuts off 30 pounds and the steeda support for another 10.

IronTerp

The Steeda piece is a real nice option as well. The BMR RSB is a right sturdy piece for sure and looks like it weighs 2.3 lbs more than the Steeda. But, Matt at Steeda has indicated that although his is lighter, it provides excellent chassis rigidity.

This thread was never intended as a Steeda vs. BMR comparison. I truly feel both are very good and will improve weight transfer without sacrificing chassis rigidity. It's a "to each his Own" here. A picture of the Steeda for visual comparison of the pictures I posted above:

Steeda Mustang GT500 Mustang Radiator Support - Made in the USA 555-5083

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator

DiMora

Established Member
Has anyone else had a failure on the BMR support? This is not my car...it is a guy on another forum - but this piece was on my short-list - now I am having second thoughts.

This is not an anti-BMR troll post either...I already have some BMR parts on my car. I found this thread using Google searching for BMR radiator support.

He broke it in street driving, and it has very few miles on it (new build - he's still sorting it all out).

DSC09233_zpsf4b6def2.jpg

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
One of the reasons I'd never add a tubular brace such as this. The loads imparted on the tube have a huge leverage advantage and can easily overcome the weld/base material. That failure is the exact type and in the exact location I've visualized since these types of braces have hit the market.

Before I'd ever consider anything such as this I'd be asking for some finite element analysis results from the manufacturer, whether they'd supply them or not.

Looking closer at this specific installation, I'm not impressed with BMR's fitment...

DSC07640.jpg

Or weld quality...

DSC09226_zps3faebde9.jpg

Relevant Photobucket link here.

DiMora

Established Member
I noticed the OEM piece (post 1 pic 1) has the area where his broke "boxed in" to some extent. I am assuming the Ford engineers knew this was a weak area.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Hmmmmm, guess ill keep an eye on mine. Sad if it does break since I sent the OE to the scrap yard when I was cleaning out the shed:bash:

Users who are viewing this thread