BMR S550 Chassis Jacking Rails

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
_BMR%20jacking%20rails%20shot.jpg

After years of raising my S197 from the front and/or the rear with a jack and stands, I was looking for a different method for the '16 GT350 I picked up. The front is rather low for a jack and I wasn't keen on jacking from the IRS pumpkin either. That leaves the pinch weld, which is fine when you lift from the factory specified areas. Many have used "puck" style devices with success but I was looking for something that would allow jack placement anywhere along the pinch weld as well as the capability to place jack stands there as well. Enter BMR's jacking rails. As the listing on their site puts it...

BMR said:
These 100% bolt-on jacking rails use existing boltholes and hardware, allowing for easy installation in your garage or driveway with simple hand tools. Once installed, the jacking rail adds reinforced locations for jacking the car, jack stands, or racking the car on a two-post lift. With BMR’s jacking rails, the entire side of the car can be easily jacked up from one jacking location. These jacking rails also add strength to the chassis by reducing flex.

Powdercoated in a near matching red hue (black hammertone available as well), the 3/16" laser-cut 1.5"x2" steel boxed tubing fit my needs perfectly. A 100% bolt-on that allows quick tire/brake servicing and that can be removed by pulling four bolts out per side, dropping the rails, and reinserting the bolts. Some may balk at the mere thought of adding weight to a GT350 and I hear your cries. The tradeoff for me is the increased utility as well as a slight increase in rigidity and in this case the added weight is as low as possible and evenly distributed between the front and the back.

Installation is quick and simple. Raise and secure the vehicle, then locate the four bolts per side that need to be removed as per BMR's instructions. I started on the passenger side, by holding the shorter of the two rails up and in place to note where any seam sealer might intrude.

IMG_0988.jpg

A sharp wood chisel worked well for me as the sealer was still relatively soft. No hammer blows needed, just some carefully applied pressure and the necessary chunks came right off.

IMG_0990.jpg

z0313161622a_HDR_resized.jpg

I then coated the entire area that would be in contact with the rail with some clear as the paint ranges from thin to non-existent.

IMG_0991.jpg

I'm a big fan of factory hardware instead of generic nuts and bolts so I had no problem reusing the original fasteners. I removed the factory installed medium thread-locker and then added a couple of drops of Blue Loctite on each bolt just prior to their re-installation.

IMG_0979.jpg

Bolts were torqued to the recommended 63 ft/lbs. Driver side install mirrors that of the passenger side. Boom, done.

You have to crouch down fairly low to notice the boxed tubing. In the case of the near matching colors used here I think few will ever notice.

IMG_0992.jpg

Note that the "ends" of each welded assembly are rotated slightly relative to the long run of tubing in between. This allows the ends to follow the factory stamping which is at an angle relative to the floor. This meant BMR could fuse the center sections at an angle closer to level, a really good idea.:thumbsup:

IMG_1002.jpg

IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_1008.jpg

I wanted to see how much the tubing visibly deflected, if at all, so I raised my newly installed low-rise lift and placed some rubber blocks at various locations under the rails. I'm here to report these are indeed, rock solid.

IMG_1017.jpg

IMG_1026.jpg

IMG_1035_1.jpg

IMG_1029.jpg

In summary, this was a very satisfying mod. I don't have to worry about trashing the factory pinch weld and can now get the car up in the air with relative ease, no matter where I am. Kelly and the crew at BMR did a great job designing and manufacturing the rails. As someone who fabricated in the field for nearly thirty years I can honestly say these are very well done. Production welding sometimes can be sloppy and haphazard - not here.

Good stuff.

IMG_0984.jpg

Last edited:

krt22

Established Member
Thanks for the write up, Tob. Im on the waiting list for Mike's jacking plates but these are also very nice and eliminate the need to pick a single jack point. Any guess on the total weight?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I did not weigh them. I'll let Kelly jump in on that one as I'm sure he has an accurate number.

AZBOSS

Established Member
Those look great. Interested in the weight figures as well, although since they are mounted about as low as you can possibly get on the vehicle it won't make much overall difference unless they are made of lead.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Sure.

http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/specialty-lifts/p-6b.aspx

I got it from here.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...i_sku=144662&gclid=CPD07on0wMsCFYIlgQodR2oIZA

I went back and forth on a 2 post vs 4 post, etc. A couple of shoulder operations later, neither remained a consideration. It was going to be working on my back or nothing at all. I'm comfortable with this design in terms of safety as well as lift height limitations. I just wish I had it when I was doing all the work on my GT500. It has a 6,000 lb lifting capacity, is ETL-certified, and works on either 110v or 220v.

Last edited:

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Good writeup TOB. We've already sold several sets of these to GT350 guys and they really like them for the same reasons you mentioned. I was playing with ours last week taking some measurements for DSS for some aluminum and carbon fiber drive shafts we're working on and these rails would have made getting the car racked a little quicker for sure.

BMR Tech

To bad they can't come up with something similar for the S197.

Not to derail Tob's wonderful thread, but if we found enough interest - we could possibly make that happen. The S550 chassis, it was a no brainer, because there are perfect mounting positions from the factory.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I was playing with ours last week taking some measurements for DSS for some aluminum and carbon fiber drive shafts we're working on and these rails would have made getting the car racked a little quicker for sure.

The staff at SVT were adamant that CF wasn't "stiff enough" for use behind the GT350's 5.2L engine. If DSS finds the same I've often wondered if a two-piece CF shaft arrangement could at least be considered. My fingers are crossed that they can make it work either way.

That is great to hear about the use of the rails. They simply make sense if you want quick access to either side (or both at the same time).

Not to derail Tob's wonderful thread, but if we found enough interest - we could possibly make that happen. The S550 chassis, it was a no brainer, because there are perfect mounting positions from the factory.

Thanks again for making these happen Kelly. And whoever decided to go the extra mile to orient the long run of tubing so that it was parallel to the ground deserves a big thanks as well. I don't see anyone else making the same effort to do it right.

Last edited:

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
I had these on my short list, but going to bump these to the top! Going to make wheels swaps for the track much quicker! Plus even though its ok I still hate jacking cars by the pinchwelds

Snoopy49

Established Member

I would be interested is a set for my 2013 if you can figure out how to get the job done.

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The staff at SVT were adamant that CF wasn't "stiff enough" for use behind the GT350's 5.2L engine. If DSS finds the same I've often wondered if a two-piece CF shaft arrangement could at least be considered. My fingers are crossed that they can make it work either way.

That is great to hear about the use of the rails. They simply make sense if you want quick access to either side (or both at the same time).

Well, spoke to Frank this morning and he's shipping our CF shaft tomorrow :thumbsup: We'll post details once it gets here.

GUY WAGNER

Established Member
Jacking rails

I have the rails in red comming tomorrow.
It will be a lot easier to put on the lift after that.
Thanks for the great write up Tob.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
Nice write up Tob.

I have a new set of these for sale locally in NorCal if anyone is interested. They are the gunmetal color and have never been installed. Send me a PM if you're interested. There was a big price increase on these and I can save you a lot of money.

M91196

Established Member

Seems like something I would purchase

Users who are viewing this thread