BMR Tech's S550 Mustang Build: Street/Strip

BMR Tech

Tob, I will only upgrade as parts break. (parts that I have not already upgraded - or plan to)

After ripping these cars apart - I was pleasantly suprised at the beefy half shafts. I honestly think they will suffice with automatic cars for some time. Time will tell, though.

I have some interesting stuff coming..... Wait until you see our K-Member Tob. ;)

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
And you called me a tease?!

Looking forward to seeing what the creative minds at BMR have come up with.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
im looking forward to the power numbers. I am torn between doing another TVS build or going twins. Im still leaning twins since ive always wanted to do a turbo V8 build.

BMR Tech

Things have been hectic lately, but that hasn't stopped me from going crazy on acquiring parts!

I have received a few parts, and have some parts I am still waiting on.

-Corbeau FX1 Seats

-Mickey Thompson Tires -- 295/45-17 DR out back and 28" SR Radials up front

-Billet Specialties Street Lites (Anodized Black version)
17x4.5" Front
17x9.5" Rears

-G-Force/FRPP Heavy Duty Halfshafts

-Viking Performance Double Adjustable Rear Shocks

-Shaftmasters 1-Piece Aluminum DS

-Aerospace Lightweight Front Brakes

-Prototype BMR Suspension pieces. ;)

Needless to say, things are getting somewhat serious!

Pics and info to come! I will snap some shots of the beautiful wheels tomorrow and post them up. STUNNING!

BMR Tech

These Billet Specialties wheels are something else!

20141111_093612.jpg

20141111_093640.jpg

20141111_093706.jpg

20141111_093731.jpg

Glenn and Keith over at Billet Specialties have been a big help with these. They modified the lug openings to work with a proper 14mm lug, as they wanted to retain the thicker wall shanks. These should be available as a 2015+ Drag Pack in the future. They are very light too! Forged Aluminum FTW!

I also ordered up some Mickey Thompson Tires from Latemodel Resto:

28" Fronts:
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/MTT-020408/Mickey-Thompsn-28x6-17-Sportsman-S-R-Frontrunner

295 Rears:
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/MTT-3745R/Tire-Mt-Et-Street-295-45-17-Radial

I will get some pics of these on the car as soon as possible!

BMR Tech

They are 1-Piece Forged Aluminum - and they are called "Street" Lites.

So yes, they are designed for street use. ;)

The fronts are only 14.5lbs each. That is light for a 17!

I didn't weigh the rears, but I'll assume they are only about 16.

BMR Tech

Finally got some time to get out in the shop and get the MAK Mid Pipe Connected to the Magnaflow Comp Series Catback.

I should have some videos soon. I suspect this thing is going to sound angry... ;)

_MG_5914.jpg

BMR Tech

Some info that Chris from GForce Engineering posted on another forum about the Halfshafts I have coming from him:

Kelly,

We have a set of the FRPP Level 5 Half Shafts that we make exclusively for Ford Racing shipping out to you tomorrow.
These are the same axles that Ford has been doing all the testing with over the last several months on the cars that have been seen in the videos released by Ford.
These are the Level 5 Outlaw Half Shafts that have our billet cv internals and big 31 spline axle bars and have been tested in IRS cars that put down 1500+ rwhp.
The BMR Camaro shop car that has our 9" IRS conversion in it has axles very similar to these in it.
To date there has never been a single Level 5 Outlaw axle broken so beat on them all you want, you wont break them.
We as well as Ford are anxious to see what your car will do

IMG_0501_zps3c38b55a.jpg

IMG_0502_zpsef2b5067.jpg

The FRRP Level 5 Half Shafts are only available through Ford Racing or a Ford Racing dealer.

I had no idea that they were building the Outlaw Level 5's for the FRPP Units.

That is VERY exciting news to me.

We have been using GForce for many years at BMR. In the GM IRS World, we are very dominant - we have been building IRS Suspension components for quite some time - and the GForce stuff has been top notch for us. FRPP made a fine choice, I must say!

I would like to add, for those who are frowning upon the IRS in this car. Our 2010 Camaro, TVS Powered, is in the low 9-Second range...and cuts high 1.2, low 1.3 sixty foot times. We use GForce components on that car, and have been for 4 years now.

Last edited:

BMR Tech

Corbeau FX1 came in today. Awesome piece, and very happy with my choice.

I also picked up the 05-14 Corbeau Bracket / Sliders....and I plan to have to modify them a little to get them to fit.

20141112_111131.jpg

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Kelly, are the diameters different on the GForce half shafts (from one side to the other)?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I'm also curious as to why they aren't using the "paired" washers under the socket headed capscrews on the CV joints. They help to spread the load from the fastener and minimize crush on the thin stamping underneath. I suspect the claim is along the lines of "they aren't needed and add unnecessary weight" but I'd really like to hear the tech on this one too.

lxlawWFO

Terminator LOVER!!!
Established Member
nice talking to ya today Kelly... Waiting on you to bolt them up, so i can get them on my car!!! Keep us posted!!!!

BMR Tech

So, in preparation for my Shaftmasters 1-Piece DS - I straightened up my pinion angle, via adding a BMR Driveshaft Loop, that I need anyways. Win, WIN.

On our Drive-On lift, I got +3 on the pinion flange angle....and -2 on the engine side.

That is a +1.....which is "okay" for a 2-Piece DS, but not for a 1-piece....ESPECIALLY with those soft IRS Bushings everywhere.

If you are going to upgrade to a 1-Piece DS, I highly recommend upgrading the IRS Diff Mount bushings to something solid. Alum, Delrin, Etc.

20141112_153106.jpg

For those wondering; "how did the pinion angle change with the DS Loop" - well, our DS Loop Mount plate mounts between the Trans Crossmember and the body. We supply a plate/spacer to retain the angle you have, or you can leave it out like I did...and it will drop the angle of the trans down.

BMR Tech

Something is very cool to me about being able to unbolt a few bolts, and have your entire exhaust off in amatter of several minutes.

This Magnaflow Comp series and MAK O/R Pipes should definitely free up some power. No cats, 3/4" larger OD, smoother turns....Love it. Quality is great too!

20141112_160915.jpg

BMR Tech

nice talking to ya today Kelly... Waiting on you to bolt them up, so i can get them on my car!!! Keep us posted!!!!

I did a dry test fit today on an IRS that we have laying around from another car. 17x9.5's....and there was a good amount of clearance everywhere.

I am waiting on some lugs to get here, and I will have them mounted up. ;)

lxlawWFO

Terminator LOVER!!!
Established Member
I did a dry test fit today on an IRS that we have laying around from another car. 17x9.5's....and there was a good amount of clearance everywhere.

I am waiting on some lugs to get here, and I will have them mounted up. ;)

Might have to call and see if they will send me a set..;)

Users who are viewing this thread