Bob's Auto Sports 2015+ GT350 Oil Separators

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
____zzzz1.jpg

I'll cut right to the chase. I knew I wanted a driver and passenger side separator setup from Bob's but went ahead and tried the ones available from Ford Racing until they were available. While they were nice, I was a bit disappointed that the Ford pieces didn't come with a drain. Having to disassemble them and then blot or suck out any spent oil was a bit of an inconvenience.

Enter Van from Revan Racing. He noted the comments I had made in the past about preferring drains and contacted me to let me know that he had what I was looking for in Bob's "Ultimate" separator kit. That being, AN fittings, braided hose, heat shrink clamps, and the patented billet aluminum and powdercoated separator body, filtering media, and drain.

Not long after talking it over with Van, I had a large box sitting on my doorstep. Carefully packaged, inside was some of the nicest underhood hardware you'll see.

___zzzz2.jpg

___zzzz13.jpg

___zzzz14.jpg

___zzzz16.jpg

Each assembly comes with a precut length of hose that allows for a little variation so that you can trim it to the perfect length for your GT350. The Russell ProClassic hose is rated for up to 350psi and is safe to use with fuel, oil, or antifreeze. It is a breeze trimming it to length with a sharp razor knife.

Here are a couple of photos that illustrate the factory original hose next to each Bob's separator. First, the passenger side.

___zzzz18.jpg

Driver side...

___zzzz19.jpg

Installation instructions are included with the separators. Since I had a Bob's passenger side separator on my old GT500 I was well aware of what it takes to fit everything up. After easily removing the factory hoses, I put a slit in the section of hose that sits over the barbs on each plastic fitting. This allows you to save the o-rings that are underneath. Then it is simply a matter of fitting each separator into place and noting the correct length of hose needed. Any trimming necessary is done before slipping the supplied heat shrink clamps over the braided hose and inserting each fitting into the hose all the way. A quick and careful pass with a heat gun (or the wife's hair dryer) and your assemblies are ready to be bolted into place.

___zzzz30.jpg

___zzzz23.jpg

___zzzz17.jpg

___zzzz24.jpg

___zzzz35.jpg

___zzzz25.jpg

___zzzz32.jpg

The heat shrink clamps allow for an extremely robust seal. And they sure look a heck of a lot better than the old style worm clamps we all used in the past. Speaking of seals, the split separator bodies utilize an o-ring where they thread together to prevent the potential for any air leaks there either.

___zzzz26.jpg

And my favorite part of the separator assembly, the drain. :rockon:

___zzzz20.jpg

Installation-wise, wrenching is at a minimum. The passenger side separator bracket slips into place on a tab beneath the strut bar and the driver side fits over an existing stud mounted next to the air filter housing.

___zzzz22.jpg

___zzzz40.jpg

The only tweaking I did was to the driver side drain clocking. There are some existing lines on the car that could get in the way of placing a cup underneath the drain so I removed mine and reclocked it.

___zzzz34.jpg

___zzzz33.jpg

___zzzz41.jpg

For reference, If you flip the driver side separator upside down and clock yours as shown in the following photo, everything is right where you'll need it to be.

___zzzz36.jpg

The finished product looks killer in my book.

___zzzz8.jpg

___zzzz7.jpg

___zzzz42.jpg

___zzzz39.jpg

___zzzz37.jpg

Now draining is as simple as rotating a valve. It simply doesn't get any better or easier than that. A huge thanks to Steve at Bob's and Van at Revan Racing for making these available. They are just what every Voodoo engine needs to stay clean and in peak performing condition.

cjgt500

Established Member
The area circled rubbed on the hood through the paint/anodizing. I think I have fixed it with some tweaking.

___zzzz7_zps4tcsrckl.jpg

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Hey Zak.

I enjoyed each and every post I made in the GT500 sections when I had one. Now that I've sold mine I can't add a lot. I had a few projects I was going to do but without the car that would be kind of difficult. The S550 bug has bitten me hard (at least in GT350 format!) and I'm trying to roll pretty much the same way. In the case of the thread at hand, it was really easy to do this one having had worked with similar hardware from Bob's that went onto my GT500. So there is a bit of crossover anyway.

I do miss the power - that, I can't deny. Don't ever give it up if you don't have to!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The area circled rubbed on the hood through the paint/anodizing. I think I have fixed it with some tweaking.

___zzzz7_zps4tcsrckl.jpg

I talked to Van briefly about proximity to the hood in that one area. I believe the vertical portion of the mounting bracket is slotted. Did you try moving yours down a little? I should mention that when I was verifying that everything was tight I slightly rotated the elbow so that it pointed downward to keep the end of that fitting from being able to make contact as well.

___zzzz38.jpg

___zzzz13.jpg

cjgt500

Established Member
I talked to Van briefly about proximity to the hood in that one area. I believe the vertical portion of the mounting bracket is slotted. Did you try moving yours down a little? I should mention that when I was verifying that everything was tight I slightly rotated the elbow so that it pointed downward to keep the end of that fitting from being able to make contact as well.

Once I studied it closer yes I then made that adjustment. I think it was only rubbing upon 8,000+ rpm autocross sprints....haha. I rotated the elbow upon initial install and re-clocked the drain on the drivers side as well. Great write up btw as usual.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I was going to say that great minds think alike...but you and I already knew that!

:beer:

Van@RevanRacing

The Ultimate Write Up for the Ultimate Oil Separator! Thanks for the hard work and due diligence in putting together an incredibly comprehensive post Tob! Salut!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Down in South Carolina for Mustangweek. Lots of nice iron down here including at least 20 GT350's that I've seen. Tomorrow and Saturday should be pretty busy and I'm hoping to see what everyone is using "separator-wise" under the hood. I should be pointing quite a few to this thread.

Last edited:

jonesd

Established Member
Down in South Carolina for Mustangweek. Lots of nice iron down here including at least 20 GT350's that I've seen. Tomorrow and Saturday should be pretty busy and I'm hoping to see what everyone is using "separator-wise" under the hood. I should be pointing quite a few to this thread.

Ordered my "bobs" from van this week, thanks for pointing it out to me!

Last edited by a moderator:

Van@RevanRacing

down in south carolina for mustangweek. Lots of nice iron down here including at least 20 gt3t0's that i've seen. Tomorrow and saturday should be pretty busy and i'm hoping to see what everyone is using "separator-wise" under the hood. I should be pointing quite a few to this thread.

whooaa!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Ordered my "bobs" from van this week, thanks for pointing it out to me!

Brother, you made a good move. Van offers up great sales and service and Steve from Bob's makes some really good stuff. A great combination that your GT350 will love you for taking advantage of.

Users who are viewing this thread