Bogus Cobra R Parts?

ROWNER8

Established Member
Recently a seller on ebay out of Wayne, MI was selling a 2000 Cobra R EFI intake plate/emblem- unpainted. he explained how rare this is (true). Except that after I was beat out on the auction he offered me a second chance purchase and said he had several more to sell. Hopefully I don't sound like a spoiled sport because I missed out on the auction but it seems strange a bunch of these would pop up out of the wordwork and he is willing to sell them for over $300.00 ea. Maybe I'm in the wrong business! I see he has many Mazda and 07 Shelby parts for sale. Flatrock worker??

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
BADBOYSPACK said:
I dont see why these are so rare.

I would guess, and this is only a guess that if there were only 300 or so intakes cast for the 00R and this plaque only fits those 300 or so intakes, that this item would be useless except to hang on a garage wall to a person not owning an 00R. If it is an original unpainted 2000 Cobra R specific part it is quite rare. It certainly is extremely rare to find the upper intake in which this plaque was made to fit.

R

Last edited:

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
Boys and girls, the emblem/plate is called inventory for replacement in case of a crash. Ford when they build a particular vehicle must by internal accounting also have a certain amount of replacement parts in case a replacement is needed. The auction clearly shows the engineering numbers and the casting data on the back of the emblem. I used to buy up all of the Shelby and Boss 302/351/429 parts for pennies on the dollar from the local Ford dealers here in northern, NJ and noreast, PA. They were just happy to get them off their shelves and have a few dollars for what they considered worthless parts. Helped me buy my first Shelby with what I bought, held on to, then resold later on down the road......

Just a little clarification and no, I do not have anything to do with these auctions.

Bill S.

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
they may have been test pieces or overruns made by the company that made them for ford.

I happen to have a spare just in case I need it some day ;-)

dsc_0002.jpg

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
mrmustang said:
Boys and girls, the emblem/plate is called inventory for replacement in case of a crash. Ford when they build a particular vehicle must by internal accounting also have a certain amount of replacement parts in case a replacement is needed. The auction clearly shows the engineering numbers and the casting data on the back of the emblem. I used to buy up all of the Shelby and Boss 302/351/429 parts for pennies on the dollar from the local Ford dealers here in northern, NJ and noreast, PA. They were just happy to get them off their shelves and have a few dollars for what they considered worthless parts. Helped me buy my first Shelby with what I bought, held on to, then resold later on down the road......

Just a little clarification and no, I do not have anything to do with these auctions.

Bill S.

I agree that this is a correct original replacement part. I would also guess that with only 300 00R's built, the number of replacements is small making this part a rare part even in replacement form.

R

99SVT3753

5.4L Snake
Established Member
I thought the real ones were metal? These are plastic formed. see pic 2 on the ebay. Real ones come with COLOR .. I'd say these are knock-offs or like the one person said, prolly from Austrailia.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
99SVT3753 said:
I thought the real ones were metal? These are plastic formed. see pic 2 on the ebay. Real ones come with COLOR .. I'd say these are knock-offs or like the one person said, prolly from Austrailia.

If they are "knock-offs" whoever is knocking them off is wide open for a lawsuit. Ford is not even interested in the hobby using "Mustang" without a kick-back going to Ford. Can you imagine if they saw the "Ford" logo on this part? I would guess that these are original Ford parts that were produced for the 2000R project as replacements, but in the end, were not finished (painted) and the vendor was stuck with them. I would guess that after the 300, the vendor would finish (paint) these replacements on an as needed/requested basis.

Another question is..............if these R-Cars had no factory warranty, was Ford obligated to provide "any" replacement parts? except for maybe emissions pieces?

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
99SVT3753 said:
I thought the real ones were metal? These are plastic formed. see pic 2 on the ebay.

I have never had my plate off, I assumed it was metal, but I have heard (in addition to the post above) that these plates are prone to crack around the mounting holes, this would lead me to believe the originals are plastic.

R

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
comprepsvo said:
The ones (2) for sale on ebay are metal, were left over from the 300 cars, and do have the Ford number stamped into them.

The O.E.M. plates were plastic and that is why they crack so easily at the corner mounting points.

I've had mine off to epoxy the cracks and it's definitely plastic.

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

ROWNER8

Established Member
let alone the "boys and girls" comment above, the writer couldn't be more wrong. Ford is not and has never been obligated to support replacement parts for a limited production car. Back in 1993, Lee Morse held back some of the unique parts for the 93 R and the SVT building in southfield and Roush held back a few parts for the 95R. After that, Ford Racing started handling some of the popular parts for the 95 and the 2000 R's. Ford itself has never stocked any unique cobra R parts. Many vendors in the Detroit have had left over parts that have been circulating for years and even Dean Martin at SVT bought the balance of inventory from Roush/SVT on the 2000 R parts. Many companies in the detroit area stock cobra R parts that they have bought from various sources. Diversified and Kar Kraft both have a ton of left over Cobra R parts from all the years that they have bought up. So this guy with the 2000R plate is either making these or works with someone who was involved in the program. Funny he doesn't show a pic of a painted unit off the intake. I would think he would have those too if these were orig.parts.
that's my 2cents worth. throw away two pennies and I am not worth crap!

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
ROWNER8,

Having previously been involved with several Ford projects of sorts, as well as being in the collision industry on and off in one form or another, I will stand behind my original posting above. Also, a call to Ford headquarters and a talk with their project and team accounting division (yes, the bean counters in this case) will confirm exactly what I posted above.

Bill S.

Users who are viewing this thread