Bolt a Cobra Eaton to a Mach 1?

midtex01gt

Established Member
I have a buddy that has a Mach 1 and he is looking to upgrade to get some boost. I have located him a stock blower with elbow and TB for only $200 and so he is excited on the opportunity to run a bit better than he is.

...what additional hardware would he need?

Approximate $$ for hardware and installation?

Obviously he will need an intercooler like the cobra, but is there any fitament issues by doing the above upgrade? Unforseen problems?

Thanks a bunch guys!!

03machme

go on and mach me
Established Member
there is a list of about 60+ more parts that they will need and those parts alone can run up to 2K depending on where you find and how new. if you can find someone selling a compleate kit then it would save alot of time and money. i have looked into this alot and is something that i might do in the future but i will prolly order a compleate kit due to the fact that everything is so hard to find and it would just get rid of most of the headace

Reloaded

Torque-a-licious
Established Member
Which parts would he need? I mean the Cobra and Mach share so much in common...

http://mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=71833

Short answer? A crap-load of parts are needed. I'm in the process of doing the swap now. It'll be on in late May. I have most of the parts but not all of them. It's easiest to buy a complete kit from someone who's already done the work.

Good luck! In the end it'll be worth it I'm sure. I'll tell ya in a month and a half. :D

Reloaded

Torque-a-licious
Established Member
Yeah it seems so simple because ya figure, they're both DOHCs! But unforunately a lot needs to be swapped for it to work. You also have to take into account the fuel system and other things that aren't set up to handle boost on the Mach.

I'll tell ya, it's a lot of work. I got about a half complete kit when I started and have been slowly piecing the rest together since. Of course, it does help working at a Ford dealership sometimes :D

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
There is a fairly complete list over on the registry. But it's not as simple as a "plug and play". Ironically many parts are different- you'll see once you get the list. Once you get all the parts and you have verified that they are in good working condition I'd highly recommend him taking it to a shop that has done the swap before.

I learned this the hard way and due to the novice abilities of the guy I went through, I wasted a grand and 2 months of down time and at the end of the day my car still doesn't have the blower on it. Rick @ Amazon racing in SC has done this swap quite a few times- that's who I'm going to this summer when I get my car back to Conus.

If I had to do it all over again I realize it would be FAR cheaper/ faster and less labor intensive to just get a kit that was specifically made for the Mach. IE- Procharger, KB, Vortech, HP, Hellion- all make easy to install and VERY reliable kits that can be installed in a weekend.

Your friend is looking @ anywhere from 2500-3500 for assembly of all the parts he'll need if he goes the Eaton route. Then anywhere from 750-1500 for install/tuning. Don't forget he'll have to completely redo his fuel system- that can get a little pricey too.

I got a "complete" kit from a guy going turbo on his Terminator. I ended up having to replace the alternator, all the mounting brackets, the pigtail for the alternator and all of the washers/nuts/bolts etc. Additionally while it's not technically required I got an AF kit and a boost gauge. Those were not included in the "kit". I also got an FGT fuel pump. Supposedly it'll handle up to about 500 RWHP.

Right now all I need are the gaskets and hardware....but I've decided to upgrade the internals as well so I can run a ported blower and smaller pulleys.

I agree with re-loaded. Once it gets put together I'm sure I'll enjoy it- however this is definitely NOT the cheapest or quickest route to go for FI.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread