Bolt-ons worth it?

Stock

The slowest
Established Member
Hey guys,

My friend has a '03 Mach 1 A4 that he is thinking about making faster, but he is trying to "justify" spending the money on a K&N CAI, PHP intake spacer, OR H-pipe, and Superchips tuner.

He doesn't belive that spending the $600 for ~20 HP is a good deal, but I'm wondering, how much will this difference really make?

I've heard that the PHP will definitly give a broader torque band, but will all of these mods together give a noticable gain in the 1/4?

Another thing is that he is going to trade gears with a local '02 GT, so he will be installing 4.10s soon.

After the bolt-ons he is planning on putting on a wet nitrous system, so should the bolt-ons I've listed above aid in the nitrous making power (freeing up the intake/exhuast, etc.)?

How much of a difference will the bolt-ons make in the 1/4 over stock (with the 4.10s and without)?

Thanks!!!

Slo65

o harro ^_^
Established Member
whats his goal for the car? is it his daily driver? etc etc, for an auto, gears/stall/shiftkit or "valvebody" i dont know a whole lot about autos, but i have the mods that count, gears/k&n/x pipe w/spintechs, it's gotten me some great times at the local track

munnmotorsports

Established Member
Stock said:
Hey guys,

My friend has a '03 Mach 1 A4 that he is thinking about making faster, but he is trying to "justify" spending the money on a K&N CAI, PHP intake spacer, OR H-pipe, and Superchips tuner.

ive got an 04 mach automatic. i have all the above listed mods. i'll start with my stock times. 13.59@103. i then added the 4:11's (definitely gonna need drag radials then, it REALLY woke up the car) which got me down to 13.33@104. then i added a off road X-pipe and a k&n CAI and got down to 13.05@106. i would recommend the SCT X-cal2 though instead of superchips.

instantmassege

LS WHAT?
Established Member
munnmotorsports said:
ive got an 04 mach automatic. i have all the above listed mods. i'll start with my stock times. 13.59@103. i then added the 4:11's (definitely gonna need drag radials then, it REALLY woke up the car) which got me down to 13.33@104. then i added a off road X-pipe and a k&n CAI and got down to 13.05@106. i would recommend the SCT X-cal2 though instead of superchips.

^ I think you mean 4.10's. In any case I ran 13.9@103 bone stock (5spd) I then added Borla stingers, mac off road prochamber, jlt rai, a spacer and a tune. Went back to the track and got a 12.9@109 with a 2.0 60' So the mods do help ALOT!!!

04torchred

Established Member
Is the spacer really a good mod. My bro has LT, catless x pipe, magnaflow catback, JLT RAI, 4.10's, CF DF, and Xcal2 tune. Will it help a lot?

munnmotorsports

Established Member
instantmassege said:
^ I think you mean 4.10's. In any case I ran 13.9@103 bone stock (5spd) I then added Borla stingers, mac off road prochamber, jlt rai, a spacer and a tune. Went back to the track and got a 12.9@109 with a 2.0 60' So the mods do help ALOT!!!

no i meant what i posted... i have 4:11's.....

munnmotorsports

Established Member
04torchred said:
Is the spacer really a good mod. My bro has LT, catless x pipe, magnaflow catback, JLT RAI, 4.10's, CF DF, and Xcal2 tune. Will it help a lot?

i put in a intake spacer after i was running 13.05@106 and had no change in 1/4 mile time. there was no "seat of the pants" difference. NOTHING.

TRXboy

Established Member
munnmotorsports said:
i put in a intake spacer after i was running 13.05@106 and had no change in 1/4 mile time. there was no "seat of the pants" difference. NOTHING.

I desagree, although I donot have LT's I only have a Catless prochamber and at back (on top of other stuff, just exhuast wise) and my first time out I spun the tires from 30 with the spacer. I defintly felt a difference with the spacer.

Outlaw

Terminated
Established Member
The guy at My Tuning Place Dyno'd A stock Mach with a Spacer and Saw little to no difference. He did say it helped to give the car a smoother A/F curve but the tune could do the same job if not better.

instantmassege

LS WHAT?
Established Member
Outlaw said:
The guy at My Tuning Place Dyno'd A stock Mach with a Spacer and Saw little to no difference. He did say it helped to give the car a smoother A/F curve but the tune could do the same job if not better.

It gives hp/tq through out the rpm range which is more important then peak power.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Outlaw said:

Yep....I have seen a few Dyno sheets before and aft of the spacer.the peak hp/TQ is not that much, but the increase across the band is where you get the benefits. Maybe he over-looked that.

munnmotorsports

Established Member
TRXboy said:
I desagree, although I donot have LT's I only have a Catless prochamber and at back (on top of other stuff, just exhuast wise) and my first time out I spun the tires from 30 with the spacer. I defintly felt a difference with the spacer.

spin the tires from 30... mach 1's do that stock....... i dont have LT's either. but the drag strip doesnt lie.....

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
munnmotorsports said:
spin the tires from 30... mach 1's do that stock....... i dont have LT's either. but the drag strip doesnt lie.....

And why is it you are so negative??

Strip doesn't lie...your right....but neither does back to back dyno runs, and SEVERAL people installing them, then running the cars.
More people have giving positive feedback then none.......mayeb it's because you have an A4 mach.....it's harder to have SOTP feel with an A4 mach....LOL

Last edited:

Angus

Established Member
Bolt-ons are definately "Worth It" IMHO.

Just pick bolt-ons that compliment each other & get a good dyno-tune when needed...

Users who are viewing this thread