Bolt-ons worth it?

grey03mach1

Speed Junkie
Established Member
Not only does the spacer give more power throughout the powerband it also brings it sooner. It gives you more torque about 500 rpms sooner than stock. This is felt in the throttle response that is gained. However, I tend to think the spacer is only worth the trouble with supporting mods such as exhaust,tune and CAI.

01svtL

Established Member
would a tune be NECESSARY with something like the C&L air intake along w/ a midpipe and catback? I know it would make the most of those mods, but is it dangerous to run them w/o the tune .... consider the outside temps here in Texas

TRXboy

Established Member
Outlaw said:
The guy at My Tuning Place Dyno'd A stock Mach with a Spacer and Saw little to no difference. He did say it helped to give the car a smoother A/F curve but the tune could do the same job if not better.

Could be due to the fact that it was stock. People normally put in the spacer when they install a Catless Mid pipe (Pro chamber, X pipe, H pipe). The back pressure lost gains peak power but losses power across the board, the Spacer increases that.

Yes, I know stock mach's can spin the tires at 30. Mine could to, but once i installed the spacer it spun the tires at 30 to the point were it would wind second gear out without gaining any speed.

Last edited:

grey03mach1

Speed Junkie
Established Member
I need to move somewhere in the mountains where the air is thin. This humidity is killing my ET. I just need to run this by the wife........I'm sure she'll understand.

BM1

Established Member
munnmotorsports said:
no i meant what i posted... i have 4:11's.....

What brand of gears are your 4.11s? I'm only aware of one company that markets a 4.11 gear set for the Ford 8.8".

Last edited:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
01svtL said:
would a tune be NECESSARY with something like the C&L air intake along w/ a midpipe and catback? I know it would make the most of those mods, but is it dangerous to run them w/o the tune .... consider the outside temps here in Texas

Necessary if you want to go past half throttle. You will be running very lean (most likely) with that setup...that is a bad idea. However if you keep it in closed loop (less than half throttle) then you will be ok, fo the most part. The computer takes over A/F after half and that is where it matters...that is why dyno tunign is done at WOT.

If you can't get a tune done, stick with catback, and CAI...leave the midpipe off, until you can get the tune. IMO.

BM1

Established Member
ponygt65 said:
Necessary if you want to go past half throttle. You will be running very lean (most likely) with that setup...that is a bad idea. However if you keep it in closed loop (less than half throttle) then you will be ok, fo the most part. The computer takes over A/F after half and that is where it matters...that is why dyno tunign is done at WOT.

If you can't get a tune done, stick with catback, and CAI...leave the midpipe off, until you can get the tune. IMO.

You can go past half throttle without going into open loop. EFI systems trigger open loop under cold conditions and WOT. EFI considers WOT anything at 80-100% throttle.

I ran a K&N drop-in, O/R H, and cat-back on my car for a little while on the factory tune. It was fine, but a tune is what you should have for those types of mods.

Stock

The slowest
Established Member
Is it safe to run a ORH on an otherwise stock Mach 1 without a tune?

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Black Mach 1 said:
You can go past half throttle without going into open loop. EFI systems trigger open loop under cold conditions and WOT. EFI considers WOT anything at 80-100% throttle.

I ran a K&N drop-in, O/R H, and cat-back on my car for a little while on the factory tune. It was fine, but a tune is what you should have for those types of mods.

I have been told past half throttle from two different tuners. I guess they just wanted to be extra safe, becuase 80% is hard to gauge. :shrug:

But, we agree on the main point, which is ......a tune needs to be done.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Stock said:
Is it safe to run a ORH on an otherwise stock Mach 1 without a tune?

I wouldn't......at least not too long, with too much 'fun' action. Even a stock air intake system with a K and N drop in brings in some good air.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
instantmassege said:
I ran borla stingers and mac off road prochamber without a tune for about 6 months and it was fine.

My point is why take a chance? If taking chances is ok...then why not throw on some UDs??

don't mean to contradict you IM, just trying to make a point. It has to do with driving styles, and the cars perimeters itself.

If anything, pay the $75 get three runs on a dyno to check the A/F...that's my suggestion.

instantmassege

LS WHAT?
Established Member
ponygt65 said:
My point is why take a chance? If taking chances is ok...then why not throw on some UDs??

don't mean to contradict you IM, just trying to make a point. It has to do with driving styles, and the cars perimeters itself.

If anything, pay the $75 get three runs on a dyno to check the A/F...that's my suggestion.

I agree with you, just didnt have the $500 for a dyno tune. The car idled and drove perfect though. So yes if you have the money then deff get a tune.:pepper:

Users who are viewing this thread