Boost a pump install

MADRUSSIAN

GET FAST OR DIE TRYING!
Established Member
Im about to install dual boost a pump, however i saw somewhere on here that some people install them without hooking up that activate switch wire. That same wire that goes all the way to the motor bay. I wonder what would be the benefit and what's the down side of that set up?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Red-GT500

Needs More Torque!
Established Member
The reason that is done is to cause the pumps to run at maximum all the time that way you get the most possible at any given time. They simply twist and solder the two wires together and leave it near the BAP. It also makes them much easier to tune for since variable fuel pressure can cause a lot of specific parameters to need programing for variable elements. As for a down side i have not seen any on my car and its been installed for almost a year. Some say it could cause the pumps to fail sooner but i think those cases are very few and far between. The failure rate of these is probably way less than 1%. It shouldnt cause you any issues as long as you hook it up correctly and solder the connections properly.

Good Luck on the install if you bought it.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
As stated most of us run the pumps with bap full time an have no issues. The only time I have hear an issue is on the 20v comp. Dual bap a guy said failed running full time. I have not heard of any 17.5 volt baod fail running full time

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
The only issue I have with my BAP COMP 20v is when I upload a new tune my 30 fuse POPS!! So I keep plenty in the glove box. Is that Normal?

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Negative - that's what he told me...my car had the blade in the main Ford fuse block in the engine compartment and it should not have ('08). That 2010-12 used the blade. Give him a call or KB. I don't know enough to help.

www.2008GT500.blogspot.com
2013 TVS powered

Last edited:

SuperFly03

Established Member
I just bought 2x 30a fuses from the local ford dealer and popped them right in. My BAP's are running strong. Freakishly easy install.

I chose not to use solder but rather appropriately sized butt connectors.

MADRUSSIAN

GET FAST OR DIE TRYING!
Established Member
Thanks guys, you've been a lot of help. Will start install this weekend.

armycook1981

Established Member
I'm electing to haves he tuner shop install the kb bap . Although I just installed the 2.8 kit I don't feel comfortable with electronics and I can't soldier worth a damn.

I spoke to KB about the running all the time and that said its fine to do that fyi

MADRUSSIAN

GET FAST OR DIE TRYING!
Established Member
I'm electing to haves he tuner shop install the kb bap . Although I just installed the 2.8 kit I don't feel comfortable with electronics and I can't soldier worth a damn.

I spoke to KB about the running all the time and that said its fine to do that fyi

Thanks man! I called Joe from mustang magic, he said the same thing.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
It's usually a tuner preference thing, but I have yet to find a tuner that didn't recommend having it wired full speed all the time. I don't think I've ever seen anyone wire it with the Hobbs switch. I did a write up not too long ago with plenty of pictures. I think it's in the How To section.

ETA: Nevermind, it's not in the HOW TO section, Here's a link to it anyway.

Last edited:

MADRUSSIAN

GET FAST OR DIE TRYING!
Established Member
Need your input asap! Just got car of the dyno, everything went well BUT, i keep blowing 30amp fuse on start up, end of the pull and during pull. We checked wiring and everything checks out. Is it because its wired to run on all the time and draws to much current? Should i run blade or look for 40amp? Please chime in.

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
Need your input asap! Just got car of the dyno, everything went well BUT, i keep blowing 30amp fuse on start up, end of the pull and during pull. We checked wiring and everything checks out. Is it because its wired to run on all the time and draws to much current? Should i run blade or look for 40amp? Please chime in.

Run a 30A Blade. Do Not run a 40A!

Red-GT500

Needs More Torque!
Established Member
It should have came with a brass blade to replace the one inside the fuse box and then the 2 30 amp fuses on the BAP. If you still have a a 30 amp fuse in the box then a blade should fix the problem.

MADRUSSIAN

GET FAST OR DIE TRYING!
Established Member
I think i figured it out. There should be two 30a fuses changed correct? Cause i only had one. Added another one, so far so good.

MADRUSSIAN

GET FAST OR DIE TRYING!
Established Member
Yeah, no. Still blowing that 30a fuse! Now it happens only under wot. Called kb and supposedly getting 40a blade in a mail in a few days.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
That's strange. I installed my BAP a couple weeks ago, wired full time, used butt connectors, 30a fuses in all locations and not a single problem since.

Users who are viewing this thread