Boost creep ?

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
Well my tuner is having concerns with my hp TT kit, since the flanges for the wastegates were welded straight on the header rather than on an angle like they should be, I've asked numerous people with hp tt kits and they have the same setup. Is there any boost creep with these kits or hellion kits for that matter? Any info would be great.

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
I had zero boost creep issues on my hellion kit, even with a 91mm turbo and a 38mm wastegate.

I run the 38mm shitty deltagate and an eboost 2.

I think a lot has to do with the boost controller and it being setup correctly.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Established Member
I had zero boost creep issues on my hellion kit, even with a 91mm turbo and a 38mm wastegate.

I run the 38mm shitty deltagate and an eboost 2.

I think a lot has to do with the boost controller and it being setup correctly.

ok because last thing i need is having to lift the motor just to take the headers off to modify them. I also have an Eboost 2.

y2k2gt

2V PoWereD
Established Member
I've never had any issues.
I have never read about anyone with issues and the HP kit.
The single hellion kits only have one 38mm gate.
I never even had issues with the internal gates with my HP kit.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Zero creep here on my Hellion kit with the small 38mm gate @ 27psi MAX. Are you running a boost controller?

y2k2gt

2V PoWereD
Established Member
I would try smaller springs before letting someone charge you for no reason...

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
How does the flange orientation have anything to do with how the WG's function? I guess I'm missing something there.

There is no way you are having boost creep due to the WG's. Like people have said, the Hellion kits only have one 38mm. I have internal WG's like y2k2GT had and I did have boost creep issues. The way my combo is set-up, it produces a lot of back pressure at low speeds. We ported the WG holes to 29mm I think and no creep now. Something else is causing whatever issue you are having. BTW, with a 22 PSI spring, the LOWEST boost you will be able to run is 22 PSI--EBC or not.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Established Member
How does the flange orientation have anything to do with how the WG's function? I guess I'm missing something there.

There is no way you are having boost creep due to the WG's. Like people have said, the Hellion kits only have one 38mm. I have internal WG's like y2k2GT had and I did have boost creep issues. The way my combo is set-up, it produces a lot of back pressure at low speeds. We ported the WG holes to 29mm I think and no creep now. Something else is causing whatever issue you are having. BTW, with a 22 PSI spring, the LOWEST boost you will be able to run is 22 PSI--EBC or not.

It's 13.5 psi spring in each WG. The gates are definitely not getting all the exhaust out of the hotside.

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
It's 13.5 psi spring in each WG. The gates are definitely not getting all the exhaust out of the hotside.
Well, in that case, the minimum boost you will be able to run is 13.5 PSI. What exactly is going on with the engine? Boost creep is when you reach your target boost then as the RPM's climb, the boost creeps up past where you want it held. In other words, with the WG's wide open, the boost will keep climbing all the way to redline. I seriously doubt that is what's happening with twin 38mm WG's. I've never heard of this with the HP kit either. Did you contact HP and see what they say?

TwinTurbo4vGT

Established Member
Well, in that case, the minimum boost you will be able to run is 13.5 PSI. What exactly is going on with the engine? Boost creep is when you reach your target boost then as the RPM's climb, the boost creeps up past where you want it held. In other words, with the WG's wide open, the boost will keep climbing all the way to redline. I seriously doubt that is what's happening with twin 38mm WG's. I've never heard of this with the HP kit either. Did you contact HP and see what they say?

Yes I'm having boost creep. When im at 22psi it creeps up to 24 then settles at 22 again

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Yes I'm having boost creep. When im at 22psi it creeps up to 24 then settles at 22 again

That sounds more like a boost controller setting issue and not the wastegate position. Where is the wastegate positioned on your kit? I didnt know the HP TT kit put the gate directly on the headers? Anyone have pics of this?

Mine is on the up pipe approx 12" from the turbo. You can see the wastegate flange in this picture

motorwithturbo3.JPG

Plus why do you say you have 22# springs? Then say you have 13.5# springs in each gate? Which is it?

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Do you have the new revised longtube style headers with the HP kit? Like the picture below? If so, it doesnt really look like there is anywhere to move the gate to. It looks to be in a good spot. Im convinced its a boost controller setting. Are you positive the controller is hooked up and adjusted properly? Who is the tuner by chance?

96-04MOD4.6TT-Front%20Low.jpg

TwinTurbo4vGT

Established Member
Kevin hand is the tuner. It's the revised headers. I still believe it is the headers because how is exhaust gases going to make a 90 degree turn?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread