BOOST NUMBERS WITH DIFFERENT INTAKES

NC Cobra

Established Member
With my 03 stock I was getting 8lbs boost. I now have the Magnaflow C/B and recently installed the Amazon Racing setup with the AFE filter and heat shield.

I am now getting exactly 8lbs boost- not 1 oz more. I see posts in here about guys getting up to 10lbs boost with just an intake change. Am I misunderstanding something? Should I expect to see higher boost with this intake mod?

This is my first blower motor so I am new at this. I would love to get 2lbs more boost and would be willing to change my intake again to get this. Any comments would be appreciated.

NCCobra

NickSVT03

Established Member
Well, I always saw exactly 8 lbs of boost before I installed the UPR CAI. Now the needle stays in between 9-10. I have noticed a change. I am not trying to sell the upr kit by any means, but I think it is awesome.

gchronis

Get used to avatar
Established Member
Hey, can the densecharger guys chime into this? Did you guys also get a boost increase? Haven't really noticed anything with the drop in K&N, but I'll check again.

david smilovic

Established Member
The blower is ran on a mechanical ratio between 2 fixed sized pulleys.I can see restrictive stock lowering and chocking off boost but IMHO no intake will increase it unless it was over chocked from the factory.Even then 2 Lbs. without pulley change ,well call me skeptical.Good Luck Dave S.
PS I do over 100 forced air induction installs yearly at my shop and boost can vary by maybe 1/4-1/2 lb..Dave

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
What filter is used on the UPR? Does it come with it?

All it shows on their site is the bent tube.

Last edited:

bender460

Established Member
I think the big difference is in the throtlebody and intake. I think it was Jim V. who seen the same amount of boost on his car (3.10 pulley,throtlebody and intake) as a stock set up with a CAI and a 2.93 pulley:shrug:

NickSVT03

Established Member
Originally posted by david smilovic
The blower is ran on a mechanical ratio between 2 fixed sized pulleys.I can see restrictive stock lowering and chocking off boost but IMHO no intake will increase it unless it was over chocked from the factory.Even then 2 Lbs. without pulley change ,well call me skeptical.Good Luck Dave S.
PS I do over 100 forced air induction installs yearly at my shop and boost can vary by maybe 1/4-1/2 lb..Dave

Well, I wouldnt believe it either unless I saw it with my own eyes. I didnt expect to see a change in boost when I bought it, but EVERY time I floor it, you can tell the needle is alot closer to th 10 than stock.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
My car is stock and I see 9 Lbs. every time I get on the on-ramp to the highway. It almost touches the "10" marking on the gauge.

Uncle Snake

Established Member
Densecharger

I put the densecharger in last week. Not real happy with the instructions - but I was also in a bit of a hurry.

I did not notice anything until today, pretty cool weather wise. Boost gauge hits 10. Not the line before 10 but smack on it.

I have 1500 miles on the Cobra and not once during a +/- 500 mile round trip to Savannah a couple of weeks ago did it even hit the line before 10 on the boost gauge. The weather was warm and humid and but I got on it on I-16 numerous times - got up to +130 mph.

Did the densecharger add to the boost? I do not know, just my observations.

Sonic03

Alaskan Assasin
Established Member
I was 28 degrees here in Alaska last night...it still hasn't snowed where I live....I am running a K&N......I was pushing at least a Lb more last night......the car was God awful strong.....

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
Only way to check boost is with a proper gauge..
T in Boost gauge on dyno ,,or use a good aftermarket gauge..
The stock gauge is not accurate..

Jim V.

gud2goe

Established Member
i put in the jdm cai system(9 inch cone) and i havent noticed any increase in boost either. i like the system though.....

(still waiting for our new supprt bracket for the filter,,,still in r&d i guess......are they going to make a shield also???)

JP DEMOLET

Established Member
I've had boost increases related to me.

But I feel actual A-B testing with different systems is dictated here and on the same Cobra.

I'm hoping extended "daily use" testing will elicit good results.

I've noticed that the computers usually take around 8 drive cycles to completely dial-in to an intake mod which obviously affects differences in "extended in motion testing", and compared to "same day dyno results", without the system in motion.

I've had 5 Ford blower motors over the years and the one variable which I did find affecting boost was FUEL QUALITY.

The knock sensor/boost limiters were ALL affected by fuel quality.

Test to see if the fuel you're now using affects the boost level compared to another "same octane" fuel from a different station.
This would be the first variable I would test.

With this variable attained "constant" I'd then see if CAI temp has an affect.

Last edited:

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
Originally posted by Jim Vaccaro
Only way to check boost is with a proper gauge..
T in Boost gauge on dyno ,,or use a good aftermarket gauge..
The stock gauge is not accurate..

Jim V.

I think they're ignoring us :shrug:

JP DEMOLET

Established Member
Even if the gauge isn't accurate it would still be viewable measurement.

If there is no deviation on the same day, same fuel, same relative temperature then you'd be able to confidently use the factory gauge.

If you then make a change and the gauge reads consistantly higher, with holding fuel quality, elevation, relative temp., etc., constant then I'd judge the change an increase in performance.

If you change to another gas station and then notice a 1lb. deviation from what the gauge showed with the previous station then the guage would be an accurate tool of measurement even if the gauge is 2lbs. off from a top quality gauge.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread