Boost Overlay Problem

pmac231

Established Member
I just installed the 16# boost overlay in my car. Everything seemed to go fine. I didn't calibrate. I just put the needle back in the same position it was prior to installation. Anyway, I drove the car and it didn't read any boost so I took it all out again. I hooked a portal compressor up to the gauge and it blew the line off. So in taking the needle off this time, it came off but the little pin is now flopping up and down in the hole. I can use a magnet to get it in position to get the needle on but it just flops around loosely. Anyone have an idea what to do here?

Thanks

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
If the needle like gauge shaft is bent even VERY slightly the boost gauge indicator needle will not move.

I found this out the hard way.:bash::smmon:

However I did not blast mine with a portable air compressor. :nonono: :dw:
Hopefully it was not further damaged by this.

I just took it back apart, found that the problem was because of me bending the needle like shaft of the gauge, and then I straightened it, put the pointer(needle) back on and tested it and it was now fixed.

Last edited:

hiimdrummer03

Established Member
If it doesnt read boost or the needle will move freely its slightly bent.I did that on mine but it was so slight that i pushed it back just a but,it popped then started working.

10sec89

Established Member
if the pin is just flopping around you might have pulled it out of the little hole the bottom of it sits in to align it with the spring tensioned gear. I had the same issue, took the gauge apart and it was obvious and easy to fix.

pmac231

Established Member
if the pin is just flopping around you might have pulled it out of the little hole the bottom of it sits in to align it with the spring tensioned gear. I had the same issue, took the gauge apart and it was obvious and easy to fix.

Ya, once I took the gauge apart, I saw that. I just have to calibrate now.

Thanks

skidad62

Established Member
Wow your from Nfld!! Hey there from Moncton!

Glad you sorted out the needle issue. I did this mod on mine - I used a pump from Canadian Tire to calibrate... Here's a few pics...

IMG_5351.jpg

IMG_5355.jpg

IMG_5353.jpg

IMG_5370.jpg

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Wow your from Nfld!! Hey there from Moncton!

Glad you sorted out the needle issue. I did this mod on mine - I used a pump from Canadian Tire to calibrate... Here's a few pics...

IMG_5351.jpg

IMG_5355.jpg

IMG_5353.jpg

IMG_5370.jpg

^^^^ nice work great idea there

I did this mod and kinda wish I didn't, the mod works perfectlythough.
How come? I opted for a boost gauge to indicate vacuum

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
To the OP. I'm glad you resolved this issue. Every once in a while this does happen. Fortunately, of the thousands of Boost Overlays I've sold since they were first introduced right here on the SVTP board in 2003, I've never heard of anyone permanently harming their gauge. Sometimes it takes a little extra effort to get everything working properly.

Thanks for the responses from those of you who helped get the OP on track. I've had no internet service for several days and am just now catching up on returning my pms and posting replies here. My wife says I've developed a case of the "shakes" not being able to get on my favorite web sites. You know, I think she's probably right!

Ray H.

Users who are viewing this thread