Boost question for a 4 valve

fordman1302

Established Member
I've combed through a lot of forums and decided to run flat top pistons with my centri build; my car is a 97 cobra. I think my compression will be around 10.9:1; what kind of boost would you guys recommend for pump gas? I was thinking about 12 pounds but that may be too much for pump gas I'm not sure; I get a lot of mixed opinions reading forums. I also get mixed opinions on whether I should use 42lb injectors or 60s. I have 42s now but if you think I should get 60s I will upgrade. It won't be a daily driver but will be driven mostly on the street with the occasional trip to test and tune night. Also I need a good tuner if you have any suggestions. I'm from the Huntington, wv area so something less than a 5 hour drive would be nice; thanks in advance for the help!

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I'd personally run around 15 psi of boost with 10.9:1 CR.

42lbers are good till like 500rwhp.

itSSlow98

Established Member
Id say 8-10psi with that compression on pump gas. If you can run e85 you can run whatever you want with the right fuel system.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
OP, I'm assuming you're engine will be a fully forged motor. With your compression I would run 6-8lbs on pump gas but I would try to go with e85 and up the boost by a few more lbs.

fordman1302

Established Member
I have an 8lb pulley I can run. I would rather not have to put race fuel in it every time I fill up; that would suck. I think if I ran the 8lb pulley I can run the 42lb injectors safely am I right? I am also going to run an air to water intercooler will that make much difference on the boost I can run on 93 with my compression?

Last edited:

spike_africa

Established Member
It depends on quality of fuel, how the motor runs, and heat transfer. There are variations to all of this. I wouldn't be surprised if you can run 12-15psi with proper fuel and timing tables.

nxhappy

Established Member
It's all in the TUNE. keep the AFR around 11.5-11.8 . Don't go wild with the timing. It's not the boost that kills the motor.....it's the HEAT and the detonation (caused by advanced timing). Get a good IC. Also, a meth kit is a great idea to keep IATs under control.

Users who are viewing this thread