Boost time. Let's hear some opinions.

spike_africa

Established Member
As I said in my original post: "I'm not going turbo so please don't even suggest it."

Is there any particular reason that you suggest the ProCharger over the Vortech v3 Si, or is just personal preference?

I've installed 5 kits. They come with great instructions, the product is solid and made very well. Parts are easy to get, oil changes are stupid simple. On top of all of this they come intercooled so you make a lot of power right out of the box. That is why I choose them over and over again.

Massie02GT

Established Member
I've installed 5 kits. They come with great instructions, the product is solid and made very well. Parts are easy to get, oil changes are stupid simple. On top of all of this they come intercooled so you make a lot of power right out of the box. That is why I choose them over and over again.

Exactly the kind of experienced opinion I was looking for. Thank you! I narrowed down my search to either a P1 or D1, whatever I can find. Now my problem is I'm not quite sure I want to put boost on this motor or start an engine build first, go straight to the D1, and shoot for 500+ to the wheels.

98 Roush

Established Member
I'd would go with Vortech if you Google procharger vs vortech, prochargers are know to blow out seal. Vortech is a more reliable supercharger imo. I'm running a V2 Si trim with a FMIC kit from cxracing and I love it. My buddy has a d1 procharger and had to send it in to procharger to fix his leaking head unit recently. Prochargers are overrated imo. Go Vortech with and FMIC kit with a blow thru set up and you'll be golden!

Massie02GT

Established Member
Yea I read a few of those. Seems like it's an issue with the older head units. We'll see, though. Like I said, now I'm debating building a motor first and just going all out the first time.

SVTPete83

Established Member
Love my vortech aftercooled setup. Passed multiple california snog inspections and made over 520 to the wheels with an old v1 s trim. Dead reliable as long as you line up the pulleys right from the start. Can't go wrong with a vortech.

Chais92

Established Member
If I had to choose between the three mentioned centris, I would go with a pro charger. D1SC to be exact. I had an inter cooked vortech v1 and it was a great blower but it was too small for what I was hoping to push. In my opinion the benefit of pro charger over vortech is not necessarily the self containment as that wasn't a big deal for me, but the step up ratio of the pro charger. With the better step up ratio you don't have to run as small of a pulley to make a higher boost level. Less troubles with belt slip and in the long run less money spent on 8 rib swaps or overdrive crank pulleys. All I wanted was 18psi and I believe that would've been attainable with a 6 rib setup and a stock crank pulley through a d1sc. A d1sc would allow for big power down the road and still small enough to be street friendly at any power range.

SVTPete83

Established Member
twin screw > centri
I do not think you can make this statement and have any facts behind it. Its a matter of opinion for sure. Both have there merrits for sure. I will say the power band with a centri is more usable. Meaning u keep your tires on the ground. Roll racing, centri> twinscrew imo. The TS is way more prone to heat soak over a properly set up centri. At the drag strip the twinscrews can really 60. And stop light to stop light the TS is a ton of fun. That being said, I love the top end pull of a centri. So much fun!

Last edited:

nxhappy

Established Member
I do not think you can make this statement and have any facts behind it. Its a matter of opinion for sure. Both have there merrits for sure. I will say the power band with a centri is more usable. Meaning u keep your tires on the ground. Roll racing, centri> twinscrew imo. The TS is way more prone to heat soak over a properly set up centri. At the drag strip the twinscrews can really 60. And stop light to stop light the TS is a ton of fun. That being said, I love the top end pull of a centri. So much fun!

I know, I just like instant boost :)

Massie02GT

Established Member
Instant boost is nice. If there was something other than KB's for the 2v's I'd probably look into it. If they made a Whipple or TVS for our 2v cars...I'd be all over it. And yes, I'm aware that with a Tork Tech kit I could run either of those. I'm just not a huge fan of KB, personally. And extremely picky lol.

But, all in all I've made up my mind. So thank you to everyone that gave me input, especially the ones who gave me first hand experience. I will be going with a ProCharger P1SC or D1SC for many reasons, but mainly because of the steeper internal gears and getting into boost quicker than the Vortech.

Thanks again, all!

Last edited:

Daywalker

Established Member
I started off with a Procharger on a stock motor, thinking I'd never want or need anymore power. Eventually you get used to it, or you get your doors blown off by someone and you wanna upgrade. Save your money and do a turbo or twin screw set-up. One day you can get around to building your motor and fuel system then crank up the boost. Either way good luck to you, I know it's a tough decision when you wanna be faster NOW...

Massie02GT

Established Member
I don't do a ton of racing, honestly. When I do it's all drag strip 1/4 mile stuff. I'm an auto car as well, and I've thought that a KB would probably be better for my car, but as I said before the price difference between the KB's and any centri kit is pretty substantial. I think at this point I'm pretty set on a ProCharger and some kind of upgraded intake manifold. I'd like to get my hands on a P51, but those are pretty hard to find. So, a P51, Bullitt, or Trick Flow Track Heat intake manifold are what I'm lookin at now.

blownstang4.6

Established Member
For a stock motor car a Procharger P1SC or Vortech S, SQ, Si is perfectly fine. For an entry level blower as far as potential goes I think the Vortech S is light years ahead of the P1SC. The P1SC maxes out at about 13psi. If you're looking to make more power in the future with a built motor then skip over the P1SC. I know in the past there have been plenty of threads of them leaking, but not sure if this issue has been corrected if you buy a new one. They do have a steeper step up ratio of 4.10 over a V1 S trims 3.45 and the SQ/Si trims 3.6. The hp will come in a littler quicker and they will make a little more torque over the Vortech, but they also have the advantage of an intercooler. A non-intercooled SQ/Si Vortech puts out similar numbers to an intercooled P1SC. The S trim is an older blower with the lower step up ratio so it lags behind the SQ-Si around 10-20rwhp, respectively. Add an intercooler to a Vortech and you'll have a much better setup with more potential than the P1SC. Any of the entry level Vortech's (pretty much only the Si trim right now since the SQ and S have been discontinued. That is if you buy new. You can find S and SQ's used.) Will get you to 600rwhp with heads and cams. The Paxton Novi 2000 is a monster of a blower and likes alot of rpm. At 10psi it won't even be breaking one sweat drop. Because it does like more rpm the power won't kick in till higher rpms. It kind of falls between a Vortech T trim and Ysi and a Porcharger D1SC and F1.

http://www.superchargersonline.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=8
http://www.procharger.com/models.shtml

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread