Boosting soon...advice?

milgt

Established Member
Posted on another forum but wanted to see what advice I could get from you guys here as well. So, I've got my order secured with beefcake for a vortech tuner kit and I really just wanted any advice that I could get from guys that have experience with the kit. I plan on installing myself with some help from friends. I've done supercharger installs on previous vehicles and helped some friends with turbo swaps and other misc. stuff so I have some experience around bolt-ons, not a complete newb around an engine bay lol.

Sof Top

boost junkie!
Established Member
The Vortech/Paxton install is very straight forward, easy IMO. Just take your time on the install.

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
Reische 170 t-stat and new antifreeze would be my suggestions. Had a ton of casting sand and black specs in my antifreeze when I drained it. I filtered with a coffee filter and re-used it, would have been much easier just to dump it and use new fluid though. May as well add the t-stat for some extra insurance. Will be much easier to do during the SC install than to take it apart and drain the cooling system again. I'm getting one soon.

milgt

Established Member
Reische 170 t-stat and new antifreeze would be my suggestions. Had a ton of casting sand and black specs in my antifreeze when I drained it. I filtered with a coffee filter and re-used it, would have been much easier just to dump it and use new fluid though. May as well add the t-stat for some extra insurance. Will be much easier to do during the SC install than to take it apart and drain the cooling system again. I'm getting one soon.

Do we have issues with cooling with the stock T-stat once boosting? I know you said for insurance but is there some other reason?

milgt

Established Member
The Vortech/Paxton install is very straight forward, easy IMO. Just take your time on the install.

Yeah, that's what I'm starting to come to think as well with looking at pictures and installs. I notice one of the locations you have listed is biloxi, I'm in gulfport and if you're actually still there would you want to lend a hand with the install?

Sof Top

boost junkie!
Established Member
Yeah, that's what I'm starting to come to think as well with looking at pictures and installs. I notice one of the locations you have listed is biloxi, I'm in gulfport and if you're actually still there would you want to lend a hand with the install?

Yeah just keep me posted...

grnenvy

Established Member
Keep it around 9psi and it should last a long time. If u have money for a new motor then boost it and have fun. Thermostat is alway a plus. Torco Acclerator is a good friend when out racing on the weekends.

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
Ken from Lund Racing said my temps were high. It wasn't too high that I had to stay out of the boost or warm weather, but he suggested it.

Tx5.0

Established Member
When you get to the part that says to bend the A/C line. It's not necessary since their is plenty of room. I ended up breaking mine trying to bend it, but oh well since Ford gets parts fast. I'm located in Crestview Fl about 2 hours from you, would be cool to meet up!

milgt

Established Member
When you get to the part that says to bend the A/C line. It's not necessary since their is plenty of room. I ended up breaking mine trying to bend it, but oh well since Ford gets parts fast. I'm located in Crestview Fl about 2 hours from you, would be cool to meet up!

Hell yeah man! My cousin was stationed at Eglin for a couple years and lived in crestview so I know exactly where you're at.

milgt

Established Member
Just got off the phone with terry at beefcake and my kit should be here on wednesday of this coming week and I'm gonna make plans to install on the following saturday if all goes well.

I need a boost gauge and also AFR gauge but I'm at a loss of how and where to install them on this car because ,unlike my last boosted car, I actually care about cutting and drilling in places on my mustang.... any suggestions?

Sof Top

boost junkie!
Established Member
Just got off the phone with terry at beefcake and my kit should be here on wednesday of this coming week and I'm gonna make plans to install on the following saturday if all goes well.

I need a boost gauge and also AFR gauge but I'm at a loss of how and where to install them on this car because ,unlike my last boosted car, I actually care about cutting and drilling in places on my mustang.... any suggestions?

It's not completely required to have a boost gauge or AFR gauge. I have a boost gauge in the roush vent pod and for AFR I use datalogging. If you are getting a Vortech fuel pump booster, you can read max boost off of that as well.

2012csgt

Established Member
It's not completely required to have a boost gauge or AFR gauge. I have a boost gauge in the roush vent pod and for AFR I use datalogging. If you are getting a Vortech fuel pump booster, you can read max boost off of that as well.

Agreed...I have a boost gauge in the roush vent as well. Also, your tuner should dial in you AFR with your car on a dyno. Once that is done, no need to monitor it. Good luck on the install....you will be very pleased with the Paxton.

BUCKET

Established Member
Good ol' crestucky.... Not much too add to thread but ill be down there next week end. Won't have the car with me though =\

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Any power adder will get you 600 safely on these motors. The question is how you want to get there.

With the thermostat. It's always good to get a cooler or you can modify your stock one by drilling a small 5/8 whole in it. Your stock thermostat doesn't open till 205degrees.

A oil pump gear is a really nice add-on but not needed unless your going over 630 and you want to tear into the motor. (this is what we recommend but to each his own) TSS or MMR make ones that work though.

but for the average person, 80lbs or ID1000's with a BAP will get you the HP safely around 7-9psi.

milgt

Established Member
Yeah, I know they aren't really required but I just feel better being able to see both when having boost, just makes me feel better watching them each pull and knowing if something gets off for whatever unknown reason that occurs.

Appreciate all the advice so far though

Dtony

Established Member
I ended up with ID72's, a KB bap, and ProM wave MAf. The installation was easy. I ran it with 9 lbs all summer before going with a Boss short block. I am still running the stock T-stat and have no issues. On hot summer days (90+) it sees 200º sitting in traffic and 190 moving.
I agree with the Torco. Since going with the SC I have been running it and the stock motor survived nicely. When we pulled it it litterally looks like new.

Users who are viewing this thread