Borla + mrt h-pipe = sound like crap?!?!

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Ok guys i have borla stingers with the catted mrt h-pipe and i have to say my car sounds like 100% SH*T!!!!
I made a small 800k mp3, can i get someone to listen to this and tell me if this is an exhaust leak or just normal.
If this is normal it's coming off asap, i can't stand it, i don't even want to drive the car it's so bad.
So if someone could, please listen to this file, i can't post it because i have no way of doing so but i have no problems sending it to whoever would be kind enough to listen to it.
Btw, my car is still bucking like a bull(look at my past post) i've data logged it with the predator and if anyone cares to look at the log file that would be great also, if not it's all good but i'm almost to the end of the line with this car, i've had nothing but problems since i started modding it, when it was stock the car ran great, now it runs like crap and sounds like crap.
Thanks to anyone that may be able to help.

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Just keep checking, it said it sent on my end, it will be under "snakepit"

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Originally posted by CastIronMan
Sent and thanks!

You were taking it a bit easy in that clip. I don't think there is anything negative about that setups potential or sound.

Exhaust is a language and the few words I heard were a bit "frappy" but I bet a full boogy 1-2-3-4 sound clip would get:bowdown: from te guys here.

Sounds OK to me bud:shrug:

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Well if it is normal it is coming off tomorrow, i can't stand that sound, flows are going back on.
So if anyone is looking for a set of borla stingers for a cheap price i'll be posting them soon.
I just don't like the sound, it's to raspy imo or whatever the word is.

Last edited by a moderator:

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
See thats the problem, i can't stand the "frappy" sound because it's only there when i'm at low rpm's.
When i gas the car i don't get that sound at all and it sounds ok at best imo but that "frappy" sound is just awful imo.
Is it possible to get rid of the "frappy" sound?
Btw, my Flows never had this problem, i'm honestly starting to wonder about the borlas, to me they havn't lived upto their name, great piece i agree 100% and sounded great with the stock h-pipe but not only does it sound like @$$ to me with the mrt h-pipe, i also lost hp switching from flows to borla.
My borlas don't fit at all either, i'm still waiting to go have them fitted because they didn't even come close to fitting right(had no problems with flows once again).
To anyone that has the borla stingers i'm honestly not trying to bash them but i don't see anything special about them and i would honestly think twice about buying them before hearing them but it's only my opinion.
:shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
but not only does it sound like @$$ to me with the mrt h-pipe, i also lost hp switching from flows to borla.
:shrug: [/B]

Everyone is enititled to their own opinion, and you are no different. But after countless Borla/MRT installs, you ARE the first that was not overwhelmed with how much they love the Combo. And until I read the last part about the HP, I was more than ready to chalk this up to "To each his own". There is no way you lost HP going from a chambered Muffler to a straight-through race design. You have some issues in other areas if you lost HP. And to suggest that the MRT flows less than Stock, well thats just rediculous. I hope you find your Issue, but its not in the Exhaust!!!!

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
Just got it...It does sound wierd. I can understand why you would want to change. you should get the magnaflow CB, it sounds really good with the MRT H pipe.

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
03snake.....lets see....
CAI, Flows, tune = 412rwhp and 404.9ft.lbs
CAI, Borlas, same tune = 389rwhp and 397ft.lbs
Both done on the same dyno only difference, the weather, the day with the flows it was 56 degrees outside, the day with the borlas it was 76 degrees outside.
Now i know the weather did have a factor on the hp numbers but i'm not buying it......btw this was before i had any problems with this car.
I do however agree the borlas sounded good with the stock h-pipe, honestly loved the sound but like i said, thats frappy sound i don't like at all, i won't even drive the car i hate it so much.
I would honestly keep the borlas if it wasn't for that fact because the car sounds ok when it's not making that awful sound.
Maybe i got bad stingers but they didn't fit at all nor was it even close, they are touching the pumkin(rear end) no matter how i adjust them.
Now i will say the borlas are a nice piece to look at, they look killer but after that i'm not honestly impressed.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
I am of the:

"Chambered mufflers sound best with an H-pipe and straight through sound best with an X-pipe" school...

YMMV :beer:

Orange Poison

Established Member
CastIronMan,

I agree with allot things you said....I had on Flows before too, and I loved them. I just wish the Am Thun. kit came with 3.5 rolled tips like the flowmaster 3" race kit. That would be awesome.

My Borlas sound great with the stock H. And.....I'm not about to change the mid-pipe because I know I'd f%&k up the sound if I did.

I bet the MRT H will sound bitchin' with the Flows.

Friendchicken

X-pipe for exotic, H-pipe for muscle car sound.. that borla has the tone of an exotic on steroids... it gets confused with the hi-flow H-pipes...

kaboom

Yea it's a 03 now shut up
Established Member
Originally posted by 03snake
Everyone is enititled to their own opinion, and you are no different. But after countless Borla/MRT installs, you ARE the first that was not overwhelmed with how much they love the Combo. And until I read the last part about the HP, I was more than ready to chalk this up to "To each his own". There is no way you lost HP going from a chambered Muffler to a straight-through race design. You have some issues in other areas if you lost HP. And to suggest that the MRT flows less than Stock, well thats just rediculous. I hope you find your Issue, but its not in the Exhaust!!!!
Why dont you send him that clip you sent me that should solve everything:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread