Boss 302 Intake n/a with 3.31’s

Bill16s550

Anyone running one of these naturally aspirated with 3.55’s or 3.31’s just wanting some feedback on this Intake .

96gt02

Established Member
3.73s are the optimal gear for a boss/cj/gt350 intake that revs higher, otherwise you won't be able to take advantage of the extra RPM in the 1/4

DarkMach1

Established Member
The more you rev this puppy the highly gear you'd want to get you to the powerband faster.

wheelhopper

Established Member
If you like to do open track events it will work great. You rarely drop below 3000 rpm doing OT and the extra rpm can prevent an upshift/short shift on track where you're only other alternative is to ride out the gear your in for a hundred yards or so.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
3.73s are the optimal gear for a boss/cj/gt350 intake that revs higher, otherwise you won't be able to take advantage of the extra RPM in the 1/4

I completely understand where you are coming from, but I couldn't disagree more. My buddy had a '14 GT TP with a CJ intake. He swapped out the 3.73's for 3.31's and with an AED E85 tune the car was an absolute rocket. Car also had LT's and suspension mods (coilovers, watts, etc). If I had to guess, his was a low 11 second car even on street tires. It was that strong. With the proper tune and 3.31's you can absolutely run a Boss or CJ intake. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time with the Boss...go straight to the CJ. Power all the way up to 7800. The sound is intoxicating.

96gt02

Established Member
I completely understand where you are coming from, but I couldn't disagree more. My buddy had a '14 GT TP with a CJ intake. He swapped out the 3.73's for 3.31's and with an AED E85 tune the car was an absolute rocket. Car also had LT's and suspension mods (coilovers, watts, etc). If I had to guess, his was a low 11 second car even on street tires. It was that strong. With the proper tune and 3.31's you can absolutely run a Boss or CJ intake. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time with the Boss...go straight to the CJ. Power all the way up to 7800. The sound is intoxicating.

I also agree in that the Boss is a total waste and go CJ or go home ( as thats what I have lol) And I do agree with what you're saying as far as the 3.31s and feeling like it accelerates faster because I too feel that way. However there is no denying that strictly for the 1/4 the 3.73s put you where you want to be RPM wise with any high revving intake, but on the street yeah I like the feel of 3.31s better for sure.

DarkMach1

Established Member

Low 11s on street tires? Unlikely. If you have traction then don't be afraid of the gears.

Last edited:

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
3.73's are good for 130 mph in 4th gear on a 27.5" tire at 7800 rpm (think quarter mile).

If your goal is to go faster than that in the 1/4, then the 3.31 is a better choice:

96gt02

Established Member
3.73's are good for 130 mph in 4th gear on a 27.5" tire at 7800 rpm (think quarter mile).

If your goal is to go faster than that in the 1/4, then the 3.31 is a better choice:
Not that I would ever REV that high unless I really needed it but my redline is 8400 (im comfortable in the 8100-8200 range) so im sure I could get a few more MPH then your accounting for on 3.73s.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Steeper gearing will not always help you go faster. It will help you "rev" faster but not necessarily "go" faster. There is a point of diminishing returns when gearing up.

In my experience, in the street / hwy, some of the faster 5.0s I ran against had lower gears...

Users who are viewing this thread