Boss 302 intake question

jk57

Established Member
Thinking about getting the boss 302 intake for my next mod Christmas present to me but for the money will it be worth the cost as far as hp gains ? Or will a vmp
Or Lund tune be close to the as the intake as far as hp .... Right now it is basically stock with a steeda 91 tune

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

96gt02

Established Member
Boss intakes are a waste, if you going to spend the money to do a boss setup right (ported intake, larger TB, 90mm outlet CAI) you mine as well go cobra jet for slightly more money and much larger gains.

jk57

Established Member
Doing more research on it I agree in I would be into it for close to 800 intake and the kit and tune update . For the hp u gain not really worth the cost for me I might just get try a vmp tune and a good cai and call it a day ... And thanks for your inputs

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

StalkerStang

Established Member
Look into the GT350 intake as well.

I would say if your untuned now, then that should be your next step.

If you do decide to go with an intake manifold, no matter which one, be prepared to deal with possible shifting issues due to the higher rpm. A clutch upgrade may be necessary with a mt82 car to take advantage of the intake manifold.

Last edited:

jk57

Established Member
I have a auto and running a steeda 91 tune also a brenspeed 91 tune not impressed with that other than that car is stock ...reading up on the intake on here and other Forums and your inputs on here i wouldn’t really take advantage of the higher rpm range as this is a daily driver in the summer and not raced

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
ull lose some low end grunt. imo their reserved for higher rpm applications like on a Turbo car. but every tom, dick and harry has one so id chose somthn else

jk57

Established Member
Yea with the 3:15 gears hate to lose any more low end I’ll stick with a tune and possibly look into a good cai

fuelforfire87

Established Member
I think the boss manifold is really only worth it in centrifugally boosted applications. I have a procharged A6 with the boss IM and stock 315 gears and didn’t notice any significant loss of torque down low when driving around normally. You will see a difference on in the Dyno graphs though. I’d say stick with the stock intake for now as it makes the most low end power out of any of the intakes. A tune from Lund, AED or VMP should really wake up your car compared to the steeda tune in it now

scotmach

Established Member
Yea with the 3:15 gears hate to lose any more low end I’ll stick with a tune and possibly look into a good cai/QUOTE]
The 3.15's are perfectly fine with 1st gear being 4.17 in the auto. The problem is the stock converter isn't a good match for the Boss Intake.

A CAI would be a waste of money as well.

Logan@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
As with anything, if properly done, it can be great. Once you add up all you need to properly setup a boss manifold car, you'll see why I just suggest the CJ manifold package. We are having a CJ manifold package on sale for Black Friday (whoops....am I not supposed to tell you guys yet? ;) ) and I would say wait for that!
I love the boss manifold for boost applications (I run it!), but NA it requires a larger TB, porting, and more to really run efficiently. Just my .02 !

Stang Lover

Established Member
I've had CJ before loved it but couldn't use the full potential didn't have a clutch to shift pass 7K where it really shines. If you plan on staying NA CJ is the better intake if you got the coin. If not boss will do just fine. My boss will be here monday and will be getting ported and adding E85. This is a long debated subject. There are boss intake cars laying down some good numbers and boss intake cars neck and neck with CJ cars or beating some CJ cars. There are boss intake cars in the 10's NA. The guy I bought I bought my intake from picked up .3 and 3mph in the 1/4 untuned on a boosted set-up. If he had it tuned to get the full potential out of it he would of picked up more. Comes down to combo and tuning at the end of the day.

jk57

Established Member
Decided to keep the stock intake and the cai and went for the vmp tunes instead got the 6% black fri deal car is up for the winter but had to take it out for a quick drive very impressed so far

Users who are viewing this thread