Boss 302 Manifold writeup

Chris_Red_V8

Shiny.
Established Member
So I purchased the manifold from BBR as they mentioned they were going to be among the first to have the manifolds available to ship to customers, I bought it with a tune, JLT CAI, and an intermediate tune to hold me over while I waited for the manifold to arrive.

Thanks to BBR for writing a tune in the later hours of the day, and to LRS for this excellent writeup and customer service: http://www.mylrs.com/blogs/lrs/arch...ford-racing-boss-302-intake-installation.aspx

Here's the car as it sat yesterday:
install1.jpg

I have not baselined the car on a dyno, but it picked up a good amount of power with just tune and CAI, although I was disappointed in the tune's drivability. We're not sure if it was a tune issue or adaptive one, but no longer matters as by the time I went to reflash the car, UPS dropped off the new toy, the boss manifold.

Out of the box, its very lightweight and assembled with proper standoffs for the fuel rails, bolts in the carriers for the heads, and gaskets. Its a few lbs lighter than the stock manifold, and very much taller when sitting on the car. Pictures do not describe how much higher the back of the motor sits with this manifold in relationship to the stock one with the cover installed.

So here's some pictures from the install (complements the excellent writeup from LRS which I used to complete this.)

Started with removal of the CAI and associated tubing:

install2.jpg

Followed the LRS guide to the letter (be sure to remove the fuel rail bolts as those do pass down into the heads, holding the whole assembly down).
install3.jpg

After carefully cleaning the surfaces, I laid the manifold down. I've also highlighted the location used to relocate the purge solenoid. It wasn't very clear in the LRS guide, but you have 3 bolt locations to work with, and it comes down to how you can route the hoses and connector to fit. I ended up using a lower bolt than found in the guide, but with moving the harness around a bit, this seemed to stress all the lines the least. (to install the purge solenoid, you need the following: 2 feet 3/8" fuel line, 2 hose clamps, 1 M8x1.25 bolt (1 inch length is fine), couple washers and a lock washer. You remove the two rubber pads, and use the washers to pinch one side of the solenoid against the block where one of the bolts used to pass through, connect the hose to the end of the solenoid and up to the green fitting on the front of the boss manifold).
install4.jpg

closer detail of that location
install5.jpg

the green cover is where the line ends up going
install6.jpg

Fully installed, in progress of being flashed
install7.jpg

Another view, you can see the purge solenoid/valve hanging out beneath the manifold in the HUGE gap in the valley (a practical cave)
install8.jpg

install9.jpg

Driving impressions:
The tune came from BBR with the intake, and I've only had one night to drive the car, but here's some highlights:

1: Idle is smooth as stock (car makes slight adjustments here and there, but mine did that stock as well). Never stalled during adaptive learning process
2: Power delivery is buttery smooth, the tune does have a very firm throttle response, however unlike my last tune, 10% of pedal application didn't result in a bouncy/jerky kick to the pants.
3: Its much louder in the engine bay. I have no leaks, but something about this intake setup causes the volume levels to kick up, and slight change to both exhaust note and intake note. Welcomed all around
4: First time I was able to jump on it was pretty shocking. The car felt every bit as strong as it did before, but just shot up to 7700 rpm with the feeling that it was never going to stop, when I shifted it hit somewhere around 6200 and repeated. By that time I was going way too fast to continue on public roads, but the result is that this car has a HUGE powerband now.
5: daily driving seems to be improved even though I won't use those rev ranges often. Still plenty of torque, I tried putting it in 6th at 2800 and going full throttle. Felt just fine.
6: This may be more the tune than anything else, but free revving is much faster. Makes heel-toe operations much easier

I'm shooting to get on a dyno tomorrow to get some numbers (despite my lack of baseline, sorry guys), but so far I'm very happy with my install. Totally changed the character of the car. The only thing I want now powerwise is to see the ability for tuners to replicate the lope from the boss trackkey, and further refine the already good work they're doing).

Here's a brief video of the first revs of the motor after letting it idle for 15 minutes. first rev to 3500, second to 5k.
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBQCmBT-uOM"]YouTube - 2011 mustang boss 302 manifold testing[/nomedia]

Last edited:

Terminator_NJ

Established Member
The only thing I want now powerwise

famous last words! thx for the writeup and vid

I will be installing similar parts March 26. And doing a baseline and post intall run.

Run 1: Stock tune, stock intake, K&N drop filter, Ford Racing axle back, 3.73 gears 6 speed manual

Run 2: Bama 93 race tune, Boss manifold, L&M 82mm throttle body, JLT Cold air intake, Ford Racing Axle back, 3.73 gears.

Chris_Red_V8

Shiny.
Established Member
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf5rROJCS-w"]YouTube - 2011 Mustang Boss manifold 2nd gear run #2[/nomedia]

caught the rev limiter this time, oops:
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTsrCN1TkCo"]YouTube - 2011 Mustang Boss manifold 2nd gear run[/nomedia]

Skeltor

Getting old sucks
Established Member
Looks like a Boss intake and a 7500 redline are in my near future. Props on the write up.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
Very cool write-up! This may be on my to-do list soon. I was wondering though, I haven't really found anything about re-using my stock strut tower brace. Were you ever able to get yours bolted back up?

pohnjarker

Established Member
Very cool write-up! This may be on my to-do list soon. I was wondering though, I haven't really found anything about re-using my stock strut tower brace. Were you ever able to get yours bolted back up?

ive read that the stock brace will not fit back on because the boss intake is too tall....some correct me if im wrong though

Erick

Established Member
It's the same brace that comes on the V6.

BTW, Nice write-up. Enjoy the new found rpms...

Users who are viewing this thread