Boss 302 versus Boss 302 LS for 95% street use??

Oldfart01

Established Member
New old guy here, ready to pull the trigger on either a '13 Boss 302 or a '13 Boss 302 Laguna Seca. I'm on the fence as to which one to get. It will see almost entirely sunny day street pleasure use with a very rare autocross or track day. I'm leaning slightly towards an LS as I would guess the resale will hold up better, but it's also about 10k more up front. Would you notice much difference between the 2 in street use? Sorry if this has been beat to death, but I did do a search & didn't find anything.

At least I didn't come in & ask which oil is best! Any opinions & views would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

MikefromLI

Established Member
I have a regular but with the recaro and Torsen diff which allot of the regulars had so it's mostly tire compound he brace and bigger wings in 30 years the LS will Shurley be worth more.

Mine however is my 'driver' and track day toy but u needed a back seat ( matching recaro baby seat )

Either way an awesome car and congrats and good luck

a1a3183092f749467b847bf18f22bdb3.jpg

mycroft

Established Member
The differences between the two are minor and mostly cosmetic. Better tires, wider rear wheels, stiffer springs/shocks, larger rear swaybar, trans scoop, bigger spoiler, front splitter, brake ducts, and no back seat in the LS.

If you were getting a car to keep, and not modify at all, I'd go LS.

If you wanted something to modify and potentially have some fun with, I'd get a regular Boss 302, because you'll feel less bad about doing something to it that could potentially affect the value.

KBBoss302

Established Member
Welcome to the Boss madness!

I have owned both - a 2012 Boss and now a 2013 Laguna. If you are going to leave it stock, then get the LS. If you plan on modifying, then it really doesn't matter. Whichever you buy, you will not be disappointed because they are such exciting cars to drive.

I'm not sure which ones you are looking at, but the price difference should be less than 10k for similar miles/condition cars. Good luck!

John

Oldfart01

Established Member
Thanks for the responses. I guess I should have added that I plan on keeping it stock except for maybe the MGW shifter mod & whatever other minor tweaks are needed. I found a 13 SBY LS with 1,400 miles, at $48, & a '13 SBY Boss with the Recaro's & dif with 2,200 miles at $38. Both are in as new condition.

Last edited:

MikefromLI

Established Member
Thanks for the responses. I guess I should have added that I plan on keeping it stock except for maybe the MGW shifter mod & whatever other minor tweaks are needed. I found a 13 SBY LS with 1,400 miles, at $48, & a '13 SBY Boss with the Recaro's & dif with 2,200 miles at $38. Both are in as new condition.

Sounds sweet either way

LS Boss

Established Member
Hey Oldfart. You'll love your new Boss no matter what you select. If you decide on the LS, get rid of the stock tires as they are a POS. +1 on getting a MGW shifter. Ask the seller if they still have the owners package that came with the car. It contains a lot neat stuff that Ford specially prepared for this vehicle. FYI, the LS option at the time this car was new cost only 7K more than the base Boss. If you get the LS, make sure you have the cooling ducts, trans cooler, as well as the track splitter that came in addition to the stock splitter. This additional splitteris geared toward track use and I would not recommend installing this as it typically gets damaged driving with it on the street. Just a suggestion. Good luck with your new purchase. You will not regret it. Be aware that driving this car when then temperatures get below 45 deg F can be dangerous because of the tire compounds that are used. It would be equivalent to driving around on plastic tires. As you would imagine, there is very little traction when the tires are this cold. You can very easy spin this car around 360 degrees if you are not careful!

Last edited:

Oldfart01

Established Member
Hey Oldfart. You'll love your new Boss no matter what you select. If you decide on the LS, get rid of the stock tires as they are a POS. +1 on getting a MGW shifter. Ask the seller if they still have the owners package that came with the car. It contains a lot neat stuff that Ford specially prepared for this vehicle. FYI, the LS option at the time this car was new cost only 7K more than the base Boss. If you get the LS, make sure you have the cooling ducts, trans cooler, as well as the track splitter that came in addition to the stock splitter. This additional splitteris geared toward track use and I would not recommend installing this as it typically gets damaged driving with it on the street. Just a suggestion. Good luck with your new purchase. You will not regret it. Be aware that driving this car when then temperatures get below 45 deg F can be dangerous because of the tire compounds that are used. It would be equivalent to driving around on plastic tires. As you would imagine, there is very little traction when the tires are this cold. You can very easy spin this car around 360 degrees if you are not careful!

I know my first thought when I saw the big track splitter was that I would need to remove it to drive where I live. A sharp driveway entrance (which are everywhere here) or a big drainage swale on the street would eat it within a week no matter how careful you would be. One of my cars is a Volvo V70R & even with the stock front spoiler on that you have to be very careful that you don't scrape it.

I took an '11 GT 500 out for a test drive a month ago on a day when it was in the 40's & was surprised how it refused to hook up even at 60 in a straight line. I did an unintentional drift leaving the dealers lot with low revs & very light throttle. :D Big fun, but it shocked me at just how slippery the tires were. I much preferred the Boss.

Last edited:

shoracer

Established Member
Only driven the LS not a standard Boss, daily driver-ed with a Vortech for about a year and a half. Everyday can be rough, pleasure car for the weekend and cruises love every penny that car cost me.

97tc

Ford Man
Established Member
I would take an LS all day.

I bought an LS and couldn't be happier. I live in New England and drive the car almost everyday, except rain and snow. They are perfect mix of old school hot rod with creature comforts us old farts like.:burnout: I like to listen to the Allman Bros. Live at the Fillmore while power shifting!! The track key makes it feel even more old school. I'm not nuts the lope idle. I like the way the variable cam timing brings the cams in. I'm running 285/35/19's square, all season due to temps. The R compound tires start to get slippery at 50 f and by 40f are down right dangerous when cold. Memorial Day ill put the corsas back on.

Last edited:

Tank5879

Established Member
OLDFART,
I'm not sure if you are set on color, but my non-LS is up for sale. It's red, recaros/torsen and 15k miles.

Last edited:

Jabooh1

Established Member
I daily drive my LS for 40,000 miles. I put a back seat in it to take my son around. Easy install. I still have it and drive it 2-3 days a week (other vehicle is a '15 F150).

316303C8-6403-4E35-862F-69B7321F326A_zps4brwftyi.jpg

Krohn

Established Member
Honestly, I don't see it being worth the extra 10k used. For a car to have fun with, I think a "base" Boss would be more than fine as long as you get the Torsen and Recaros.
I have a '12 NON LS and I have no desire for an LS. A back seat is nice for those very rare times someone hops in the back. The suspension isn't worth 10k, the trans scoopy will get ripped off if you're not careful, the brake ducts are ridiculously cool though! The front splitter will also need removed for street driving.
Unless you want the name or the idea of being one of a select few... I wouldn't bother with an LS.
That's just my personal opinion.

Jabooh1

Established Member
I haven't had my trans scoop ripped off nor damage to my front splitter. Lowered on Steeda boss springs. It all depends on the roads, as with most things.

Oldfart01

Established Member
Thanks for the additional feedback. I keep going back & forth if it might be worth the extra coin for an LS as a long term buy.

Our roads here are pretty awful, both in how they are built/designed, & how poorly they are maintained. I have never seen a car running the streets with a low splitter on it. You would actually have to plan a specific route to not tear it up. It's the price you pay for being in an area with constant freeze/thaw cycles.

TheSpungos

Established Member
Long term the LS will be worth more based on production volume alone. Unless you need back seats (or don't want to do the work to add them to the LS if needed) then my vote is for the LS. I have a 2012 LS and had a 2011 GT500 before that. The LS is just a special car period - very low production, factory racing parts, etc. FWIW - I live in the Midwest where the roads are junk and the splitter is not an issue.

You really can't go wrong with either of them, so pick one and enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread