Boss 302 vs 5.0 difference

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
Sounds to me like Money well spent there......

Absolutely, I just wish Ford wouldn't be stupid and let you order a boss with navigation in it. They already know and assume most of them will not make it to the track. The article I originally linked to stated they estimated 5% would actually be tracked. Why not let people option it out any way they want?

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
Some information I found on hollow/sodium filled valves, while looking into how they were made because I didn't know. Pretty interesting.

Hollow valves

Hollow outlet valves are mainly used for lowering the temperature in the particularly vulnerable fillet area and are additionally filled with sodium. A desired and positive side effect is a reduction in weight. Hollow, unfilled inlet valves are only used for this reason of mass reduction. In order to achieve a temperature decrease for valves, the skirt that is drilled hollow is filled with sodium by approx. 60 % of the volume and closed by a friction welding procedure. Sodium melts at 97.5 °C, has a density of 0.97 g/cm³ and is a very good heat conductor.

During engine operation the sodium becomes liquid and is moved backwards and forwards in the skirt by the inertial forces. This is also called “shaker effect” in this context. In this process, the sodium transports a proportion of the heat generated during combustion from the valve head to the skirt area. Here, the heat is dissipated via the valve guide. Temperatures on the valve head can thus be decreased from 150° C to 80° C.

Last edited:

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
A boss is deffinately a good option if your planning on making over 650whp. For another $8K you can get a lot more motor, better heads, better clutch, etc. Hard to mod a normal GT to that extent for the same price. Plus...its a boss.

Bowtie-X

Oh No.. not a NOOB again.
Established Member
They don't call it boss for nothing lol. I would seriously prefer boss over GT500, but then again, it might be a toss up

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

5150Mustang

302 Fanatic
Established Member
thats probably the best info I have been able to get third party. . .I have been debating on a 12 Boss 302s model.

Kinda makes me wish I had done more research in early 10 prior to buying my GT Premium 401A car
its kinda usless all the features I though I wanted, I have alot of suspension so its makes noises, got rid of the rear seat and the exhaust is pretty loud ( just like I like it ) and so most of the sync features are useless. . .Its like the car sorta turned into more than just a DD after the year I owned it
I think a Boss would have been a better use of my money in the end, or I should have bought a base model I guess

Users who are viewing this thread