Boss 323ci 5.3l shortblock..who to build it and why?

D-MANN

Established Member
You cant get a new teksid block. A used teksid block would only be as good as the history behind that block.Am i correct?If so what does one look for when trying to find a used teksid? Does it take a machine shop in order to find out the block is good or not? Lets say from over heating and warping,etc?Cause if so that could be money well spent or money wasted and being stuck with a big chunk if useless aluminum.
Most of our cars are street cars. Does the weight savings of a teksid really make the difference of adding cubes with the Boss block? Eighty pounds weight savings on a teksid vs how much power the added cubes of a Boss block makes. Im still on the fence as far as which one is better.

Last edited:

Chuckie B

Established Member
There is plenty of info out there regarding issues with boss strokers having sealing issues. Like I said before, all the money you save going with a teksid block as the base, you can spend it on all the other important upgrades to ensure a long life. The secondary chain tensioner upgrade, pivot dowel upgrade, stud the cams, crank key upgrade and the list goes on.

Boss or Standard Iron Block

Mofasta's BOSS 5.0 Build Thread

Thanks for the added info. Really makes me question the boss block idea...really dont want to spend 10k to watch it go boom....looks like a little more research will done before i pull thw trigger on anything.
That is my car, unfortunately I dont have videos of the car. But Steve did happen to do a good job on mine and wanted to share it with you.

How many miles do you have on the new motor? I take it your not experiencing any of these issues that are being brought up?

clnivens

Established Member
I have 3900 miles or so on the motor and havent had any issues as of yet. Its a pump gas car so the compression is fairly in check. Eventually I want to tune for racegas but havent as of yet.

Chuckie B

Established Member
I have 3900 miles or so on the motor and havent had any issues as of yet. Its a pump gas car so the compression is fairly in check. Eventually I want to tune for racegas but havent as of yet.

Yea Im only going to run my 2.3 whipple up to a level of boost to still run pump gas...after the motor is broken in ill make my mind up to spray and have a race gas tune or go with a bigger blower on pump gas or e85... your 3.4 making 800hp on pump gas is what id like to do

Im assuming you have ported heads?

Last edited:

clnivens

Established Member
well actually my heads are un-ported, just took them off the stock bottom and placed them on top of the Boss Block. That was something me and Steve debated for a while but what settled it was the cost metrics. Porting the heads would have been a little north of 2K. It might be a project for me to attempt later. I want to up the cams as well at some point.

laroo

Established Member
I did a 5.3 stroker boss block. waiting on MMR now. I spent well over 15. but I did everything stage 3 turbo cams stage three head..... I plan to run a large frame t6 turbo and I plan to run it on the street.
as far as the sealing issues go ARP does offer upgraded head bolts other than the ARP 2000
I'm planning on upgrading to the age 625 same stuff all the diesel guys run.

Users who are viewing this thread