BOSS 5.0 iron block?

cobra=trouble

Established Member
anyone with a boss 50 bare block that can see the bare mains PM ME !

did you open your block up and look at it yet ?

i got some questions reguarding my block. want to compare with yours. thanks Gary

the MS 2007 H brgs do not look they have the right brg. tangs on them .

SlowSVT

Established Member
anyone with a boss 50 bare block that can see the bare mains PM ME !

did you open your block up and look at it yet ?

i got some questions reguarding my block. want to compare with yours. thanks Gary

the MS 2007 H brgs do not look they have the right brg. tangs on them .

I cut and pasted your request on this thread just in case someone needs to know this. We should keep all the Boss block tech stuff on this thread.

Mine is the same way. These are suppose to be the same bearings as the 4.6.

#1 main. Tang slot is toward the rear and they both are "in-line".

Boss50blockNo1mainbearingsaddle.jpg

#2 main bearing tang slot is centered and off-set from one another as are #3, 4 and 5

Boss50blockNo2mainbearingsaddle.gif

In my pack of MS-2007H I have 4 wide off-set tangs and 4 centered narrow tangs, the double flanged thrust bearing and one I can't see in the plastic wrap:cuss: You should have 4 narrow tangs and 6 wide tangs in the bearing pack

This is what appears to be the deal. The caps get the wider tang, the block gets the narrow tangs. This appears to jive with the bearings I have.

I think you have the correct bearing! :banana: If not, then I have the wrong ones too :cryying:

cobra=trouble

Established Member
heres mmr's brg listings

Clevite Pro Main Bearing set for 4.6 ROMEO IRON Block
PREMIUM QUALITY PRECISION BEARINGS/NASCAR
400080 $99.99

Clevite Main Bearing set for 5.4 IRON Block or 4.6 Windsor or BOSS 5.0
PREMIUM QUALITY PRECISION BEARINGS/NASCAR
400100 $104.99

we got this one ^ but it does not have a clevite # ?

RoadRash

Established Member
My engine builder used the MS-2007H bearings and I seem to recall that he had to modify one or two of them to work correctly .. but they are in and the engine is running beautifully .. should be getting tuned Wed. .. I need to post up a build thread.

haskett

Established Member
FYI, the MS-2007H bearings are correct for the stock Cobra block, where half the bearings tangs are centered and half are offset.

SlowSVT

Established Member
cobra=trouble should be getting the skinny on the bearing from Steve at Tousley soon. I can't imagine why on earth Ford would cut the saddles for a set of bearing unique to the Boss Block.

RoadRash states there was a minor issue. I wonder what was that all about? Sounds like he had to file a tang or two :shrug: They should be a drop-in replacement.

Hopefully this is a lot about nothing.

DevilSun

Established Member
Yeah, I heard absolutely nothing from my engine builder when he built mine but it wasn't his first modular Boss build either so unfortunately I can't say.

I will definitely re-iterate that back on page 2 or 3, talking about the FRPP block adapter for oil and cooling, that the oil ports are -10AN and the description all over is very misleading. It's definitely NOT -14AN, and that information back on page 2 or 3 did state that but was easy to skim over if not paying attention (like I did)

Last edited:

Boss 327

All Motor
Established Member
Im going to be putting a boss block in my 97 cobra. I will be using my old timming cover,ect. and was wondering if the old long style pump would work or will i need to get the newer short style?

Helomech74

Established Member
I know this is an old thread, but just to clarify the bearing issue, the Boss block uses Windsor bearings. So, any 5.4 iron block bearing will work. I personally use ACL 5M7296H series bearings. I buy them coated from Calico coatings directly.

One other thing to look out for on the blocks are misaligned main caps (one of the reasons Roush no longer does the finishing machine work on these blocks) and cracks along the pan rail that extend up the side of the block. I've experienced both already and I know of one other person that had an issue with cracking as well.

Other then that, I've got two of the blocks (one is a 305ci and the other is a 327ci). The smaller motor is a stock stroke motor in an 88 Coupe with an F2M Procharger and the larger motor is running a custom billet crank and billet I beam rods with custom spec Manley pistons. The motor is built, but the car isn't finished yet.

Last edited:

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
I know this is an old thread, but just to clarify the bearing issue, the Boss block uses Windsor bearings. So, any 5.4 iron block bearing will work. I personally use ACL 5M7296H series bearings. I buy them coated from Calico coatings directly.

One other thing to look out for on the blocks are misaligned main caps (one of the reasons Roush no longer does the finishing machine work on these blocks) and cracks along the pan rail that extend up the side of the block. I've experienced both already and I know of one other person that had an issue with cracking as well.

Other then that, I've got two of the blocks (one is a 305ci and the other is a 327ci). The smaller motor is a stock stroke motor in an 88 Coupe with an F2M Procharger and the larger motor is running a custom billet crank and billet I beam rods with custom spec Manley pistons. The motor is built, but the car isn't finished yet.

I'll have to check what bearings I have. I forgot all about this thread.

turbov6joe

Defensor Fortis
Established Member
Just finished mine dropping in the car next week!!! The boss block is a bad peice, when i had it at the machine shop we had it next to a factory 04 cobra block, and there are so many differences its not even funny, My machinest was like "DAMN" this thing is a really nice block, and has a lot of nice features.

Expound on those "nice features" please:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread