Boss intake/85mm TB/Cai/Tune

Goocher0310th

Established Member
Thinking of doing these mods to my stock, minus AB/resonator delete 2014 GT. Wondering from anyone that has done all of these how it is? Worth it? pros,cons? Really want to hear if its worth it or not. I have no plans on tracking this car.

deletednow2017

Established Member
Hey buddy,
I had that exact setup (ported boss manifold, though) and I took it off. I couldn't reason the mods as it didn't feel any faster (nor did I run better times). I would save the money and jump on boost. You'd be about $1k into this setup, boost being ~5k, but a lot more to gain. It's really up to you, though, and I can get you squared away regardless of your decision.
Let me know if I can be anymore help.

tx5.slow

Established Member
I have the same set up boss mani, pipes x pipe, jlt intake with roush axle backs, and i would recommend it 100%, am revving to 7500 rpm and still have power across from 6900 to 7500, you will loose a little torque but not much i put down 410 rwhp with auto 6 speed

Sent from my SM-G930V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

96gt02

Established Member
It is a good combo if your looking to REV very high, IE racing a lot. However for street use I prefer a ported stock intake, I had mine done by Bret barber and he opened up the inlet to 84mm which goes with my accufab TB 84.5MM and airaid intake 90MM (only CAi with a larger than 80mm outlet). I will say im not a big fan of the Boss Intake though, I think you'd be better off with a CJ setup if you really want to go all out.

PS dont buy a new throttle body, buy a used throttle body with low miles as they are usually about half as expensive if you can find one.

Goocher0310th

Established Member
Thanks for the replies guys. It seems since I really don't race, plan on racing the car, i'm better off spending money elsewhere. I do like the hard pull every now and again where i'm shifting at 7k but that's few and far between. Guess I want to have all the hp there just in case, haha. Also thanks for the advice on the used TB, will definitely look into that instead of buying new.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
It's more money, but just go straight to the Cobra Jet. I love mine. Since I never tuned my Boss with the stock intake, it's not a perfect comparison, but I definitely picked up torque in the midrange vs stock.

Goocher0310th

Established Member
It's more money, but just go straight to the Cobra Jet. I love mine. Since I never tuned my Boss with the stock intake, it's not a perfect comparison, but I definitely picked up torque in the midrange vs stock.

I haven't done any research on the CJ intake, isn't there quite a few more mods you need to buy in order for the CJ setup to work on a GT? as compared to getting the boss? just wondering, i'll do a bit of research now. Thinking i'm definitely not going to want boost on my car anytime soon so that option is out.

96gt02

Established Member
You need the CJ manifold, twin blade TB, and CJ CAI intake of some kind, then you can chose to remote mount the purge valve on the block or splice your harness and buy the install kit. New wise you looking at around $1500 if you find good deals.

StalkerStang

Established Member
Or use a GT350 intake. Keep the stock throttle body unless you go CJ manifold. Simply not worth it for little to no gain.

I did 421 wheel on a Mustang dyno with a stock throttle body, JLT intake and GT350 manifold. Now at 439 with Kooks shorties and Lethal X pipe.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
I haven't done any research on the CJ intake, isn't there quite a few more mods you need to buy in order for the CJ setup to work on a GT? as compared to getting the boss? just wondering, i'll do a bit of research now. Thinking i'm definitely not going to want boost on my car anytime soon so that option is out.

The GT350 is another option, as said above. I love my CJ, and my buddy loves the GT350 IM on his 2015 GT. You just need lock-out for the IRC plates. Whatever you do, just get an AED tune with it. You definitely won't be disappointed.

I got an Exedy Mach 500 clutch and have no issues shifting at 8000.

96gt02

Established Member
Someone on here is selling a complete gt350 IM setup for the 11-14s for $1000 shipped i believe

scotmach

Established Member
I have the same set up boss mani, pipes x pipe, jlt intake with roush axle backs, and i would recommend it 100%, am revving to 7500 rpm and still have power across from 6900 to 7500, you will loose a little torque but not much i put down 410 rwhp with auto 6 speed
"lose" not "loose"

Users who are viewing this thread