Boss intake manifold porting

Chris4031

Established Member
So I've done a lot of research about porting of the boss intake manifold and I've decided that I'd rather pay the money and send it somewhere then try it myself and potentially mess it up.

So with that being said, does anybody know of any shops that's experienced in porting boss manifolds? I found one but they wanted $450 so I'm iffy on that haha

4VFTW

Established Member
I ported mine myself and picked up 1.5mph in the 1/4. $450 may seem steep but it takes several hours to do it right so unless you have the tools and experience to tackle it yourself its not unreasonable. exactly what work is the shop going to do for $450?

kevin2970

NSFW302
Established Member
It's really not that bad. Plenty of people have done it who have never ported before. Just take your time and be patient. Don't remove too much. Just smooth out the lines and reduce injector housing profile a bit. That's all you need to do

TurboX2

Established Member
$450 is a ripoff for the limited amount of work that can be done to them. Look up threads by 01bluesnake (name is Drew) and PM him, he does a nice job cleaning them up and I believe is very reasonable for price. Or, look around for threads on porting including one I just started and see if its something you want to take on yourself, there have been some good pictures posted in past threads.

4VFTW

Established Member
$450 is a ripoff for the limited amount of work that can be done to them. Look up threads by 01bluesnake (name is Drew) and PM him, he does a nice job cleaning them up and I believe is very reasonable for price. Or, look around for threads on porting including one I just started and see if its something you want to take on yourself, there have been some good pictures posted in past threads.
You can do alot more than you might think....easily over 5hrs of work depending on how much of a perfectionist you are(I have 7-10 in mine) and at a shop rate $450 is fair. It really depends on what they are actually doing.

Last edited:

TurboX2

Established Member
Unless he asked for a max effort race port there's a very definite limit to how much time and effort is beneficial and cost effective on a thin wall plastic intake where you can't reach most of it anyway. An experienced porter at a race shop should be done in an hour or two with a quick cleanup to the ends of the runners and t.b. inlet. Those who spend hours polishing things to a 'perfect' finish don't understand that the air doesn't care about pretty and there is a boundary layer of air in the walls of a runner that doesn't really flow, so that mirror finish does nothing for performance over just smooth. There's also a huge difference between doing it the first time where you are feeling out the process, and someone who does it for a living and knows exactly what to do and is efficient about it. My own opinion is that doing it yourself or paying ~$150 or so is cost effective, for $450 difference you could have a Cobra Jet setup instead that will make as much power (or more than) the ported Boss and has more potential.

4VFTW

Established Member
Not disagreeing that doing it yourself or finding someone to do it for $150 isn't the best choices , however if someone is willing to put the required amount of time in for $150 they are either hard up for money or doing you a favor. No professional porter is going to take that job in for much less than $450

'03GTinFLA

Established Member
Unless he asked for a max effort race port there's a very definite limit to how much time and effort is beneficial and cost effective on a thin wall plastic intake where you can't reach most of it anyway. An experienced porter at a race shop should be done in an hour or two with a quick cleanup to the ends of the runners and t.b. inlet. Those who spend hours polishing things to a 'perfect' finish don't understand that the air doesn't care about pretty and there is a boundary layer of air in the walls of a runner that doesn't really flow, so that mirror finish does nothing for performance over just smooth. There's also a huge difference between doing it the first time where you are feeling out the process, and someone who does it for a living and knows exactly what to do and is efficient about it. My own opinion is that doing it yourself or paying ~$150 or so is cost effective, for $450 difference you could have a Cobra Jet setup instead that will make as much power (or more than) the ported Boss and has more potential.
Spot on. I'm doing a CJ setup and for the time I'm spending along with buying a Dremel and all the bits, sandpaper, etc. I should have just sent it to 01bluesnake who does a ton of this stuff. I got a quote from him and it's significantly lower than $450.

TurboX2

Established Member
Not disagreeing that doing it yourself or finding someone to do it for $150 isn't the best choices , however if someone is willing to put the required amount of time in for $150 they are either hard up for money or doing you a favor. No professional porter is going to take that job in for much less than $450

I think there's likely a big difference in where you take it also. If you walk into a shop that hasn't done a Boss or CJ they are gonna quote it like an aluminum intake where a lot more time can be spent. If you went somewhere with experience with these intakes and how little a typical cleanup involves I think you might get a much better number. I'll probably have under 4 hrs in my CJ when I'm done and I'm taking my time as it's the first plastic intake I've worked on, and don't have all the tools I'd like to have for it. With having done it once and with proper sanding tools I'm sure it would be under 2 hrs for the next one.

Last edited:

01bluesnake

Established Member
I PM'd 01bluesnake a couple days ago, I'll take your guys' word for it and have him do it once he answers!

Got it, and replied, thanks.

I am still doing the port work for anyone interested, and pricing is very reasonable on it. Feel free to give me a call at the shop if you have any questions, or send me a pm and i'll get on and respond as soon as possible.

Thanks guys :beer:

Drew

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread