Boss Mani or 1 Piece DS??

devildog1679

Established Member
So this is my dilemma. I am definitely going to put on Kooks LTH and go E85 this spring. I also have the Boss mani sitting here waiting to be sent to 01bluesnake to get ported. My dilemma is should I just stick with the LTH/E85 and swap the mani for a 1 piece DS? Will adding the Boss to the LTH/E85 hurt my 3K-5K HP & TQ enough to offset the 6.5K to 7.3K gain? Would the DS be a better option? I know that the Boss will probably bring my lower end in line to with what I have now before the LTH/E85 mods. The reason I choose to go LTH and E85 was to gain back the midrange. Just now wondering if the gain would better without the Boss. I do track the car about 4-6 times a year and at Road America I do top out 5[SUP]th[/SUP] gear so I’m basically coasting once I reach 6.5K RPM. I’m currently looking to see if I can find Dyno comparisons of a LTH to Boss setup.

kevin2970

NSFW302
Established Member
Porting, LTs, and gears... Yeah.. You'll offset the loss... The boss mani torque loss is so hyped up to be a absolutely terrible thing but when you're racing, it makes a world of difference. The power band shifts; and instead of dying off where the stock manifold does, it just keeps on going. Besides, you're up at the top of your RPM range when you're racing. If the boss mani was that terrible, why don't boss owners switch to 5.0 manis? You'll be happy with results

devildog1679

Established Member
Porting, LTs, and gears... Yeah.. You'll offset the loss... The boss mani torque loss is so hyped up to be a absolutely terrible thing but when you're racing, it makes a world of difference. The power band shifts; and instead of dying off where the stock manifold does, it just keeps on going. Besides, you're up at the top of your RPM range when you're racing. If the boss mani was that terrible, why don't boss owners switch to 5.0 manis? You'll be happy with results

Yea, it would be nice not to have the car fall flat on its's face at Road America at the end of every straight. I just don't track it that often. Maybe 4-6 times a year. Wonder if the extra HP&TQ in the mid range without the Boss but with the DS will be a better compromise.

If you do end up bailing on the mani for the DS you should sell that mani to a fellow Wisconsinite!
Good to know, I also have the Boss strut, black covers, and install kit.

The driveshaft will offer you advantages of weight savings and rev and decel way more than the manifolds power gains will ever do
True just not sure how well they hold up at 140+ mph. Doign some research on them now.

devildog1679

Established Member
Why do you say that? I have a Shaftmasters that has regularly seen 130mph 3RD gear pulls and plenty of guys run them at 200+mph in Tx Mile

Read some post back when I first started modding my car about vibrations. Many people say they went 130 with no issues but my car will see repeated 145 mph runs at the track. Things could be different know. Just so many options.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
I have 3.73s, and I'd never go back to the stock IM after installing my ported Boss. I don't know about the higher geared cars, but as quick as mine revs, I don't miss the 15ish torque that I lost around 4000RPM. Increasing the operating range from 3500-7000RPM to 3500-8000RPM helps a lot with the low gears. The DS is a good choice too, but I'd say that since you already have the IM, do it now and get a DS next time around.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
lol,

the trick with the boss mani is you really have to wring it out n/a to take advantage of it.

they look sweet though.

let me know if we can help you out with an axle exchange or dss d/s

sspstangbanger

Pushrod Killer!
Established Member
Read some post back when I first started modding my car about vibrations. Many people say they went 130 with no issues but my car will see repeated 145 mph runs at the track. Things could be different know. Just so many options.

I had a vibration when I first went one-piece but we changed the pinion angle by adjusting the upper and I have been over 160mph with zero vibrations on my shaftmasters
I am not a fan of the ones that use a adapter at all.

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
Lol. Most people try to over rev the stock manifold too much. Its done at 6600 rpms. Just shift...

Riptide

Established Member
Driveshaft is a waste of money unless you're doing it for safety reasons IMO

I'd do the mani

Last edited:

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
What are your results?
Keeping the revs above 5000 is what should be best according to the power curve.

devildog1679

Established Member
Lol. Most people try to over rev the stock manifold too much. Its done at 6600 rpms. Just shift...

On track shifting at 7K gets you back into the meat of the next gear. Downside is that from 6.5-7K your acceleration goes down.

I might just do the LTH & E85 then Dyno and drive for a week. Then I'll add the Boss mani drive and Dyno and see which i like best.

Users who are viewing this thread