Boss oil cooler ordered, some questions...

ComfortableLiar

Established Member
I live in South Texas which means triple digit heat all spring, summer, and even into parts of fall. Soo for some good insurance I just ordered a Boss 302 oil cooler, Royal Purple oil filter, & 9 quarts of Royal Purple 5w30.

Do any of you who have already installed the cooler have any useful tips? Also I ordered the extra quart of oil since the oiling system will now take 8.5qts after the oil cooler correct? Also anyone have any tips on what to refill the water coolant system with? Coolant and amount it will take to refill? Thanks for any help in advance.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
Refill it with the the coolant you take out - drain it into a clean container and just put it back.

Good choice on the cooler.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Distilled water, water wetter and like 3 cups of antifreeze. That's what I used in my lightning and it stayed cooler and cooled off faster after heat soak caused from wot runs.

ComfortableLiar

Established Member
I could swear I read in a thread on another forum that said the track pack GTs and Boss 302s came with 5w30 and took 8.5 qts due to the extra capacity with the cooler.

Can anyone confirm that it's actually 5w50? I'm looking for the thread on TMS but can't locate it. Someone had even posted the extra leaflet that comes with a '13 track pack GT indicating the different fluid and amount.

Last edited:

Mystichrome

Spoiler Delete
Established Member
I have a track pack car and it is indeed 5w50 and the boss302's with the same oil cooler also use 5w50 Don't really care if you believe it or not!

whatwhine

Established Member
Id like a cooler in my future as well. I wont be changing the radiator coolant for some time....
I really wish i would have bought a better GT.... i want recaros, brembo and the track packs......

Users who are viewing this thread