Boss oil squirter plugs

Graboid

Established Member
I probably just missed it in the article I was looking at but why did Ford decide to plug the oil squirters in the Boss motors?

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
^^ I do believe that windage was a concern. Most GT's aren't tracked and so it's not a huge deal. A lot of the boss' will be tracked however and extended RPM with windage issues can cause your oil to go sour real quick. Eating up the engine.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
To reduce high RPM reciprocating mass.

At high rpm the oil intended to keep the pistons cooled was over accumulating in the pin area, weighing down the fastest moving pieces in the engine, robbing power and limiting RPM.

Overly high pin end oil mass may have also had a detrimental effect on rod bearing life when revved in anger at high rpm for long periods of time.

I believe the pistons were then redesigned and replaced to survive without the oilers.

These engines SING!:rockon:

wbt

Banned
To reduce high RPM reciprocating mass.

At high rpm the oil intended to keep the pistons cooled was over accumulating in the pin area, weighing down the fastest moving pieces in the engine, robbing power and limiting RPM.

Overly high pin end oil mass may have also had a detrimental effect on rod bearing life when revved in anger at high rpm for long periods of time.

I believe the pistons were then redesigned and replaced to survive without the oilers.

These engines SING!:rockon:

Spot on. No Boss motors use the squirters.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
so what's with this supposed big advantage of piston squirters? i remember reading that the engineers behind the coyote said that one thing they wanted on the original mod motor was piston squirters. yet, the highest performance engines ford currently offers forgoes the squirters. so are they even useful in the standard mustang GT?
that's also a VASTLY different engine, apples to oranges comparison there
hardly, the point is that these are the 2 highest performance engines ford offers, and are supposed to be fully trackable. regardless of induction and rev limit, both engines are intended to see much more stress than any other engine ford offers(well, powerstroke aside, lol).

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
so what's with this supposed big advantage of piston squirters? i remember reading that the engineers behind the coyote said that one thing they wanted on the original mod motor was piston squirters. yet, the highest performance engines ford currently offers forgoes the squirters. so are they even useful in the standard mustang GT?

hardly, the point is that these are the 2 highest performance engines ford offers, and are supposed to be fully trackable. regardless of induction and rev limit, both engines are intended to see much more stress than any other engine ford offers(well, powerstroke aside, lol).

It's directly related to the dramatic increases in stress brought about by the higher rpms for the Boss and even though the revs for the 5.4 are less the piston speeds are probably causing pretty close to the Boss stress levels in the rod, pin and piston, due to the 4.1+ stroke.

It is probably not an issue on the 11 GT which is almost 1000 rpm slower revs than a wound out, modded, stress test Boss.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
It's directly related to the dramatic increases in stress brought about by the higher rpms for the Boss and even though the revs for the 5.4 are less the piston speeds are probably causing pretty close to the Boss stress levels in the rod, pin and piston, due to the 4.1+ stroke.

It is probably not an issue on the 11 GT which is almost 1000 rpm slower revs than a wound out, modded, stress test Boss.
i'm actually asking the opposite(lol), if there isn't any significant necessity for them on the higher performance engines like the boss 302 and GT500 5.4l, what's the point of having them on the mustang GT 5.0l? basically, the benefits of not having the piston squirters outweigh the benefits of having them on the higher performance engines, so are the benefits of having them even significant enough to justify having them on the lesser engine?
i hope that makes sense, lol.

Coyote 5.0

Member BED Racing
Established Member
Piston Material is why they use them on the GT and not the boss. Boss uses Mahle forged pistons vs the hypereutectics in the Coyote.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Piston Material is why they use them on the GT and not the boss. Boss uses Mahle forged pistons vs the hypereutectics in the Coyote.

Truth!:rockon:

Also with 8 quarts of oil on board, I would imagine they wanted the oil to get up to operating temps as soon as reasonably possible without using an expensive Boss/Cobra style water to oil cooler(heater).

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Also for those looking MMR has the block offs available, the MMR's are made from 6061 Alloy and are a direct fit! We consider them a must on any serious build.

IMG_0479.jpg

IMG_0480.jpg

Graboid

Established Member
Forgot I posted this :). Interesting stuff. Sounds to me like the Squirters are a disadvantage to someone running higher than stock gt rpm or at extended high rpm tracks. And obviously so if better pistons are installed. Looks like they were used more for longativity in the "put around town" cars with stock pistons than anything.

Unas2k5

Established Member
Truth!:rockon:

Also with 8 quarts of oil on board, I would imagine they wanted the oil to get up to operating temps as soon as reasonably possible without using an expensive Boss/Cobra style water to oil cooler(heater).

I have a 12 Coyote that Im installing a Boss short block in... Im thinking of not using the oil squirters since the Pistons on the Boss are stronger. Do you think thats safe?

Unas2k5

Established Member
How high are you going to turn it?
What driving/racing application will it be used in?

Well because I wont be running the Boss valve train I wont be revving it over 7300rpms. I was told on an other board that the oil squirters are deleted on the Boss to prevent cavitation at the high rpms and that all id be doing is creating parasitic windage losses if I did run them. Probably best to leave it alone since the pistons are forged mahle.

Users who are viewing this thread