Boss330 Racing

SVTurbo 98

E85 addict
Established Member
Is there anyone currently getting their engine built by Al Papitto? If so how long has he had it and when do you expect to get it back? Also how has communication with Al been and are you happy about your decision to take it to him? Just curious...

-Josh

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Al P is the only man i would want ot build my motor!

he prolly doesn't remember but he made me his bitch in his red SN95 cobra at a private rental at bradenton years back...lol

my god that car was impressive

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This is an older thread from 2006, but it gives some info on Al's engine building prowess. Here's the link. Al Papitto

SVTurbo 98

E85 addict
Established Member
I read up on him, and actually read that thread, before I dropped my engine off to him a while back. I was just curious what some of the turn around times have been and how communication was with some of his customers. I understand he is a one man shop and it may take a little longer but how long should one expect to wait.

-Josh

Ironhand

Banned
Al P is the only man i would want ot build my motor!

he prolly doesn't remember but he made me his bitch in his red SN95 cobra at a private rental at bradenton years back...lol

my god that car was impressive

Thats normal for you though......:shrug:

blackvenom77

killer cobra
Established Member
I read up on him, and actually read that thread, before I dropped my engine off to him a while back. I was just curious what some of the turn around times have been and how communication was with some of his customers. I understand he is a one man shop and it may take a little longer but how long should one expect to wait.

-Josh

You should of read more on his turn around time. I can't understand why people are so insistent on using one builder when there are so many great options out there. He puts together motors using premade parts, he is not god.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I tried calling him about building a shortblock for my truck, got no answer.

Must be slammed.

nitemarestang

Bush Wookie
Established Member
You should of read more on his turn around time. I can't understand why people are so insistent on using one builder when there are so many great options out there. He puts together motors using premade parts, he is not god.

:rollseyes Just bout like everyone else.....:poke:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
you don't know much about engine building, huh?

LightningLou

Established Member

How many engine builders do you know that build engines using their own pistons, rods, bearings, etc.? You serious? Lol this made me laugh...:lol:

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
Al does our motor builds for our cars, he is a great guy and builder, but he does take a while to get a motor done at times. The engine in our GT500 took him about 4-5 months to finish up. Our main issue with the build though was that Crower and Comp were out of cam cores to grind our cams.

Last edited:

SVTurbo 98

E85 addict
Established Member

Nobody said he was god but, like it or not, he does have a great reputation for building high quality engines. He's also known for less than great communication and slower than average turn around times but that can be expected with a one man shop. I chose Al because I broke 2 proline engines within a year (1k street miles each, no track) and I wanted to try one last time to get something built that will last like it should. Al fit the bill and even diagnosed why my last engine broke prematurely. He is no doubt a genius when it comes to modular engines.

The last time I talked to him was the first week of Jan. He said he started feeling bad over the holidays and had to go in for surgery. He told me everything went well and he only needed a couple more days to recover before he would be back in the shop and he would give me a call later in the week. His health is obviously way more important than my engine so i have no problem with him putting my engine off to the side until he fully recovers.

But now he won't respond to my emails, answer or return my calls. According to the shop next door to his, he was back in the shop weeks ago so I'm assuming he recovered ok? It's been 14 months since I dropped my engine off to him and I understand things happen that you can't plan for but the total loss of communication is getting to me. It would be fine if he said he couldn't finish it or if it would take another month or so but, without any sort of communication within the last 7 weeks (and months before that), I'm not sure what to think...

Just curious if someone else was in a similar situation or maybe knows a little more than i do...

-Josh

Users who are viewing this thread