bought a Porter Cable 7336, now what pads for polish/wax

primo

Established Member
I know there are some piant gurus in here. I finally bought a PC 7336 and now I need to know what pads I need to buy for removing swirls and waxing, and where can I buy them. BTW, this has a 6" backplate. Thanks, Gene

Jpjr

Established Member
thanks for posting this :) i just spent another $40 there on sonus shampoo, UV-sunblock for leather seats, and rim cleaner. he he

metaman

Established Member
T BAG said:
I know there are some piant gurus in here. I finally bought a PC 7336 and now I need to know what pads I need to buy for removing swirls and waxing, and where can I buy them. BTW, this has a 6" backplate. Thanks, Gene

Clay bar the entire car first to make sure that there is nothing embeded in the paint that could come loose when buffing and cause some severe damage.

Only work on a small area at a time. I am not a professional, but I have polished a black car before. The products you use are just as important as the pad you choose. Since I don't have a lot of expertise, I will usually use some 3m compound at relatively low rpms first. The wool pad is probably the best choice for this step. After I am done with the compound I wash the entire car with some liquid dawn and water.

The foam pad will generate alot of heat, and could burn the paint.

Then I will use a fine cut polish like maguires no.7. at a higher rpm. After this I will wash the entire car again with dawn.

After these two steps most of the swirl marks should be gone. This is where I make it easy on myself. Instead of polishing again to get the last of the swirl marks, I will apply a product by Zaino Brothers called Z5. This stuff is kick ass. The polymers in this stuff fill in any of the imperfections left in the clear coat with a 98% opticly pure, microthin layer of polymer. Put about 4 coats of this stuff on. Every coat will make the black even blacker.

Then follow with about 6 coats of thier product called Z2. The Z2 makes the paint more reflective. After you put this stuff on people will accuse you of having the car repainted! Plus you will never have to use the new buffer ever again. Any time the swirl marks start showing back up, they will be in the polymer and all you will have to do is throw another coat of Z5 and Z2 on thier to erase them. Thier products are only available directly from them. www.zainobros.com

93Snake

With a 6 inch backing plate you need 8" pads,

for applying liquid wax use Meguiars Soft buff finishing pad #W-9000

for polishing a vehicle with light to moderate swirls use Meguiars soft buff polishing pad #W-8000.. recommended polishes for light to moderate swirls? Meguiars #80 Speed Glaze and #82 Swirl Free polish, Also Poorboys SSR 1

for polishing a vehicle with heavy swirls scratches use Meguiars soft buff cutting pad W-7000, Recommended Polishes? SSR 2.5, Meguiars #83 Dual Action cleaner/polish

Zaino is nice stuff but IMO it's not worth the money, You can achieve the same results using Klasse All-in-one and Klasse high gloss sealant glaze

primo

Established Member
Thanks guys, and for you admins, I didn't even know there was a "special place for paint related issues". :burn:

Scott P

Established Member
I made a little starter kit for those that have a 7224 or 7336. It contains a cutting pad, two polishing pads and a super soft finishing pad. It also comes with a velcro backing plate. I think I have it priced at $49 or so. The 7336 comes with a backing plate for adhesive based sandpaper. It won't work with buffing pads.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Scotts Da' Man, I ordered his starter kit. Very nice pads, cant wait to get to use them.

Hey Scott, are you feeling any better yet? You sounded miserable last week on the phone.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Scott P said:
I made a little starter kit for those that have a 7224 or 7336. It contains a cutting pad, two polishing pads and a super soft finishing pad. It also comes with a velcro backing plate. I think I have it priced at $49 or so. The 7336 comes with a backing plate for adhesive based sandpaper. It won't work with buffing pads.

I just ordered the kit. Thanks.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Ok, Lowe's and Home Depot quit selling the PC buffers. Where else can they be found?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I was there on Wenesday I think, and none of the stores in my area had them. I actually owned one about 2 months ago and took it back.....:kicking my self:

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Hiss, I bought mine from coastaltool.com $119

best price online I found and also includes a 6" velcro back plate.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Thanks Marlon. I will check Lowe's out again, and if they do not have it I will order one from there.

Users who are viewing this thread