Bought an 04 3 door SVT Focus today, I like it!

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
I've looked it over and I'm not worried about it for now

Your choice, you can't always tell by looking at them.

I know a couple guys that were just sitting at stop lights and suddenly had the car shut off and then they couldn't restart and it was because a section of teeth stripped off the timing belt.

This is what mine looked like at 90k when we replaced it, it was still working fine at the time.

DSC00763.gif

DSC00764.gif

I've heard of other guys that said their belt looked fine but it shed teeth.

I'm not just trying to be Mr.doom and gloom or sell you parts, I'm honestly just trying to share my experience and be helpful.

Last edited:

forcefedcobra

Established Member
I hear ya steve. Just not worried about it right now. If I keep the car this coming spring I'll replace the belt and water pump.

brapple

Established Member
so you guys would recommend a FSVT as a dd? I have been going back and forth on picking one up as a DD.

I currently have a 99 Contour SE, V6 and 5 spd that I dd. I love the duratec engine in the car. I like the CSVT and my turbo 3L duratec also. What concerns me is the lower torque when compaired to the Contour. Now I did DD a 95 mystique for 10 years with the zetec so I know the engine. I am considering the FSVT because it has more hp and torque then the standard zetec. The addition gas milage will be a plus but the lack of appearent space compared to my contour is potentially a problem ... or at least the cargo capacity seems alot smaller.

I have driven one and its exactly what I would expect from a SVT product.

I do have my eye on a 04 with all options but EAP. has 73k on it. seems liek a good deal. It drove nice, clutch felt alittle weird to me compaired to the others that I have test drove. Not sure there is an issue there but I am aware of the clutch issues and this car has the original clutch and timing belt. I would changed the timing belt asap if I picked it up.

So what its coming down to for me is the practicallity of having a 2 door hatch when I have only had 4 door sedans (contours).

What do you guys think?

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
It's all about personal preference, I gaurantee you though that the SVT has FAR more space inside than a Contour has.

It may not have the rear seat legroom but for hauling, we went camping a few weeks ago and I had three bikes on the roof and in back a tent, chairs, sleeping bags, luggage, pillows, bike helmets, and another bike.

Almost everything for the family of five to go camping although the wife did haul the coolers and two kids in her car.

Powerwise, a properly running, well tuned SVT has decent torque and top end pull, tuning is key.

Clutch feel could have been due to the clutch the car has in it currently compared to others you've driven.

Don't expect much for fuel economy either, I average in the low to mid 20s with mine and got a best ever of 31mpg on a trip where I got stuck in 60mph two lane traffic, second half of that drive on three lane interstate I got 27.5mpg with the cruise set at around 80mph.

BBCOBRA

Established Member
I use mine daily and love it. I had a 94 civic hatch so another hatch was a must when I was looking at several different cars. I looked at the focus and realized that the prices have remained high and you can pick up a SVT for just a little more than your regular ZX3 or ZX5. So, I started looking at the SVT's only. I like mine and get aroudn 32 mpg back and forth to work (mostly highway).

Having another SVT was a plus since I have a 04 Cobra too.

brapple

Established Member
Actually I found it interesting that with the driver seat where I would have it I had plenty of leg room in the back seat. I also had clearence for my head also seeing as I am 6'1".

As for gas milage I am averaging about ~25 in my Contour. I know with my zetec in a mystique I was still easily getting ~27/28, so I figure the FSVT would be similar. The dd'ing is more local but I often have longer drives on the highway I am not to worried about the gas milage.

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
Actually I found it interesting that with the driver seat where I would have it I had plenty of leg room in the back seat. I also had clearence for my head also seeing as I am 6'1".

As for gas milage I am averaging about ~25 in my Contour. I know with my zetec in a mystique I was still easily getting ~27/28, so I figure the FSVT would be similar. The dd'ing is more local but I often have longer drives on the highway I am not to worried about the gas milage.

I'm 6'6" and fit fine in my SVT even with a sunroof.

As for mileage, you can't compare the SVTF to a regular Zetec.

I'ts got higher compression, wilder cams, it's not tuned for mileage and the Getrag is NOT a highway geared transmission.

ChargedFocus

Established Member
I have a supercharged SVTf with a rich tune and it gets like 19-21 mpg. Not great but not bad for the way I drive it. Best I got was about 23 on the highway with no cruise averaging around 80-90 mph. This is all with a supercharger at 12 psi boost with a stock BBK tune which like I said is REALLY rich.

As far as a daily driver it's amazing handling and a really fun car to drive. Parts are rather expensive though but that's to be expected with any special edition like this. I'd recommend one to anyone.

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
so the FSVT doesn't get the 30 mpg highway that it says it can?

I don't think you read everything I posted.

It most certainly "can" get 30 plus but you won't see that around town and you'll only see it on the freeway if you have the cruise set around 55-65mph.

On the freeway with the cruise set at 80-85 I get about 27mpg and I've seen that repeatedly.

In normal daily driving around town I see about 25mpg, that's not beating on it or being carefull with it.

That's just driving it like a car.

brapple

Established Member
I'm following. Those mpg numbers sound good to me. I'm currently getting a best of 25 mpg mixed driving with my contour. So if I can see 25 mpg around down thats great. I would only cruise on the highway at 70 so that sounds very favorable also.

Thanks for the feedback, this is the type of data I was looking for.

So one last question, how well does the FSVT survive in the rust belt? I have a 04 with 73k in my sights (all options except EAP) which has spent time in MI and MA. The car is very clean in and out. Since I would be driving it year round anyway I'm not that concerned but part of the reason I am looking for a newer used car is because the contour is starting to rust out under the doors and the rocker panels.

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
I'm following. Those mpg numbers sound good to me. I'm currently getting a best of 25 mpg mixed driving with my contour. So if I can see 25 mpg around down thats great. I would only cruise on the highway at 70 so that sounds very favorable also.

Thanks for the feedback, this is the type of data I was looking for.

So one last question, how well does the FSVT survive in the rust belt? I have a 04 with 73k in my sights (all options except EAP) which has spent time in MI and MA. The car is very clean in and out. Since I would be driving it year round anyway I'm not that concerned but part of the reason I am looking for a newer used car is because the contour is starting to rust out under the doors and the rocker panels.

The Focus should hold up as well as the Contour, unless you're a psychotic clean freak and can wash the undercarriage and park in a heated garage all the time you'll never stop rust.

My SVT has been daily driven in Minnesota since 2004 and it's doing allright, the only body rust on mine is in a spot that had gotten collision damage.

The underside is getting rust all over the suspension bits and subframes though, nothing critical but no way to stop it.

brapple

Established Member
Yes surface rust under the car isn't going to be stopped.

So what is everyones take on the winter package, worth it?

Like I know if a 04 2dr with everything but the EAP with 73k miles. Its in good shape. But I also came across a 03 4dr with everything but the EAP and the winter package. It has 108k and has had the clutch, timiing belt and struts repalced already. It also comes with a set of 16" wheels w/snowtires.

I having been wanting to find one with the winter package, but wonder if its really worth it?

BBCOBRA

Established Member
My wife likes the heated seats. I can take them or leave them, myself. The mirrors are also heated, now that's nice in case of ice. We have alot of that here in NC.
I like my EAP version mostly for the recaro seats and the 15 spoke wheels. The full leather seats was a big plus for me when I was shopping around.

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
Yes surface rust under the car isn't going to be stopped.

So what is everyones take on the winter package, worth it?

Like I know if a 04 2dr with everything but the EAP with 73k miles. Its in good shape. But I also came across a 03 4dr with everything but the EAP and the winter package. It has 108k and has had the clutch, timiing belt and struts repalced already. It also comes with a set of 16" wheels w/snowtires.

I having been wanting to find one with the winter package, but wonder if its really worth it?

The winter package include traction control which is nearly impossible to disable, I'm VERY happy that I DON'T have it in mine.

My wife likes the heated seats. I can take them or leave them, myself. The mirrors are also heated, now that's nice in case of ice. We have alot of that here in NC.
I like my EAP version mostly for the recaro seats and the 15 spoke wheels. The full leather seats was a big plus for me when I was shopping around.

I'm sure heated seats are nice but again, I'd rather not have them as it's just one more thing to go wrong.

I've survived 43 years of Minnesota winters without heated seats, it's not that bad.

Users who are viewing this thread