Boyd Coddington wheels.

meenstang

Established Member
OK guys/gals, I'm still wheel shopping. I haven't ruled out the FR500's yet, but I am looking at Boyd Coddington wheels. I am looking at the "Junkyard Dog" wheel. You can order these wheels in a lot of sizes, but I am looking at 17x8 fronts with 5.5in backspacing, and 17x10 with 6.5in backspacing rears. I would like some opinions from the pros here on this site, Thanks in advance.

Junk_Yard_Dog.gif

jdm99svt

jdm99svt
Established Member
I had Boyds on my L for almost 4 years...as much as I loved the way they looked when they were all polished up I could not stand the constant maintenance they needed to keep em lookin good....I could also never get them to balance right so I always had a vibration in the front end, once I switched to my Bullitt wheels the vibe went away and the chrome is 100% easier to keep clean and shiny:coolman: my 2 cents for ya

black 10th vert

Established Member
They are good looking, but I'd go 18". I agree with the others, though, Coddington is a douchebag!

DarkSnake

03 DSG Cobra
Established Member
OK guys/gals, I'm still wheel shopping. I haven't ruled out the FR500's yet, but I am looking at Boyd Coddington wheels. I am looking at the "Junkyard Dog" wheel. You can order these wheels in a lot of sizes, but I am looking at 17x8 fronts with 5.5in backspacing, and 17x10 with 6.5in backspacing rears. I would like some opinions from the pros here on this site, Thanks in advance.

Junk_Yard_Dog.gif

Can't you buy a twinscrew for about the price of these wheels? I always thought that the chrome 04 wheels looked the best on these cars.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
I've seen them in an 18" on a Mustang before and looked pretty sweet. But yes the polished finish takes a little more to effort to keep up.
i went with american racing, their alot better quailty
American Racing wheels are not what they used to be. I have them and they don't balance worth a damn, I bet the Boyd's are a better wheel. And they should be, they're not cheap.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Wheels = :thumbsup:

Boyd Coddington = :loser:

If you buy polished wheels that haven't been clearcoated, you can look into a product like Zoop Seal that will supposedly keep polished metal looking good for years without re-polishing.

nighthawk756

Who? Me??
Established Member
Not my cup of tea either. And I agree about Coddington.

I wouldn't like the upkeep either...and I'm not sure if it matters to you or not but I believe those wheels are pretty heavy also. :shrug:

tjs98gt

Established Member
I've seen them in an 18" on a Mustang before and looked pretty sweet. But yes the polished finish takes a little more to effort to keep up.American Racing wheels are not what they used to be. I have them and they don't balance worth a damn, I bet the Boyd's are a better wheel. And they should be, they're not cheap.

correct. the current american racing wheels quality blows. i used to sell them. not anymore, stopped carrying their line.

the boyd wheels are very nice, hard to balance also and the finish looks great when new but really hard to keep up with. suggest clear coating or seal coating them before installing them.

meenstang

Established Member
Keep up the feedback guys. I will agree that Boyd is a real a__hole. I know that the wheels will need upkeep, but I only ride my car on sunny days. It stays in the garage with the cover on it the rest of the time. Do you think they would still be a pain in the rear if they were not on a daily driver? Thanks to all.

ViciousJay

Established Member
correct. the current american racing wheels quality blows. i used to sell them. not anymore, stopped carrying their line.

maybe i got lucky with my american racing wheels :shrug: i did hit a nasty pothole and blew a rim but otherwise im pretty happy, but lately i ve wanted another set of stock chromies again

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
STAY AWAY...good friend of mine bought the 20in version of those wheels for his 05 GT....long story short they are all egg shapped and the company won't help him out...he paid 4g's for the wheels and tires and now is mounting them onto is trailer becuase he can't sell un-round wheels.

I would never do buisness with them becuase of this.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
they are all egg shapped and the company won't help him out...
:eek: Uh oh. Well if you decide you have to have them, better run them all on a balancer and check them out real good before installation.

As far as the finish, I ran polished wheels on a daily driver and re-polished them twice a year. Takes about 30-45 min a wheel. I didn't think it was a big deal.

meenstang

Established Member
STAY AWAY...good friend of mine bought the 20in version of those wheels for his 05 GT....long story short they are all egg shapped and the company won't help him out...he paid 4g's for the wheels and tires and now is mounting them onto is trailer becuase he can't sell un-round wheels.

I would never do buisness with them becuase of this.

Thanks for the info. Starting to think I better steer clear of these.

meenstang

Established Member
:eek: Uh oh. Well if you decide you have to have them, better run them all on a balancer and check them out real good before installation.

As far as the finish, I ran polished wheels on a daily driver and re-polished them twice a year. Takes about 30-45 min a wheel. I didn't think it was a big deal.

I'm starting to think these wheels are not worth the chance. I guess I better stick to a wheel that has already proven theirselves on this site.

svtjackal

OMG look at Olivia
Established Member
I have Boyd Coddington smoothies II's on my Lightning and I love them, there was no issues balancing them out two wheels where perfect didn't need any weights and the other two only needed one of the little stick on weights each,

yeah, it takes some work to keep em shinny but it's well worth it, and since your car it's not a daily driver I say if you like them go for it,

BTW Boyd coddington doesn't own the wheel company anymore, I think american racing does.

Users who are viewing this thread