Brake caliper and rotor issues, need opinions....

Sp3edD3m0n

Established Member
So I recently replaced my rear brake caliper due to damaging the old one when a bolt backed out. (Learned my lesson and used loctite.) I couldn't find a OEM replacement caliper so i purchased one from O'Reilly's.

Since then there has been a noise coming from the caliper while driving the car (not braking). I took it apart and this is what I found.

What I am wondering is, is the pad not making contact the rotor evenly? or is the rotor making contact with the caliper bracket.

I am thinking the pad is not making contact evenly but not sure if the rotor is ruined.

BBBED670-789E-4B7E-89B3-A07EAF162706.jpg

63E9A0D5-7028-40DC-A4B1-702D6C230925.jpg

Last edited:

RichM1983

Established Member
Reinstall it and check the clearance for the caliper bracket it should be easy to see if its making contact.

It definitely looks like the outermost portion of the rotor is not making contact with the pads correctly because of the rust. Did you use old pads when you put the new caliper in?

Another thing to note. I just put my rear calipers back on this weekend after having the IRS out of the car. When I first put the caliper back on and tightened up the caliper was not sitting square with the rotor, which could potentially cause your issue because it would certainly not have made proper contact. I had to remove it and reinstall it properly. Perhaps you had the same problem and didn't notice it. I was lucky that I noticed it.

Last edited:

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
I dont know your mechanical background so im going to explain in detail.

it looks like the pads where not against the rotor all the way....
im going to guess on a possible installation issue. I bet it was those stupid spring wires on the pads... they have to be seated in correctly. if one of those springs is caught in the window were I took the picture below from it could cause things not be flush

you should be able to look and see if everything is flush
by this i mean.... make sure it looks like this
20160117_210830_zpsydooj9f7.jpg

To make sure this is what the issue is.
I would just put it all back together and look to see if everything lines up flush but your pads are worn funny now....

some installation tips
make sure rear piston is pushed back all the way before reinstalling the caliper. this could make the pads not seat right and your life more difficult with the piston not all the way pushed in. You need to use the caliper tool to do this (it pushes and twist the piston back into position... for the rear brakes. just rent from orileys

if this was my car I would have the rotor resurfaced at orileys. its like 8 dollars
Again if this was my car i would replace the funny worn pads as doing this will provide a flush surface and everything will be square once again.
I hope this helps and good luck

Sp3edD3m0n

Established Member
Both pins move in and out well. I rechecked everything and it doesn't appear to make any contact with the brake caliper bracket.

I did reuse the old pads. I am going to try and buy some new pads and see if thats the solution. Is there anything I can do to the rotor to clear off the rust or will the new pads take care of that.

Sp3edD3m0n

Established Member
Cool, I will buy new pads and have them resurfaced. I didn't know you could resurface slotted rotors. Should I do both sides, even if maybe only one side needs it?

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
Not sure i understand your question.

make sure they have a guy that can do the slotted rotors. they need to use a sharp bit and turn them slower than regular rotors. thats all.

for 8 bucks they will turn both sides of one rotor. having the rotor resurfaced knocks off all the rust and makes a nice smooth surface for the new pads.

if your doing the brakes pads change both passenger and driver sided at the same time
you can only resurface a rotor so many times before its out of spec
also thinner rotor will warp easier. but the rears shouldn't be an issue as they dont do as much braking as the front

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
Make sure when you retract the piston in the caliper that the v groves are facing up and down. There is a tab on the back of the pads that fit in the v grove. Also you with need a rear caliper tool that screws the piston in.(you can rent them at most auto parts stores) You can't use a c-clamp on the rear calipers. Not sure this is your problem but it is worth checking.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Both pins move in and out well. I rechecked everything and it doesn't appear to make any contact with the brake caliper bracket.

I did reuse the old pads. I am going to try and buy some new pads and see if thats the solution. Is there anything I can do to the rotor to clear off the rust or will the new pads take care of that.

If the pins move all the way in and out I would say as others had that the post on pad werent in piston..

I had grinded a socket to use as tool for caliper..just remember they screw in but you will also have to push as you turn to get piston fully seated..new pads have just enough room to get caliper back on..

As to rotor now...do as you feel.. if my car I would just put it back on

Users who are viewing this thread